3.73s vs. 4.10s

1sik32v

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Getting gears done this weekend and looking to see if anyone has had gotten 3.73s and didn't like them and vise versa....stock engine and 3k stall no major upgrades after this..daily driven and don't care about gas mileage either recommendations plz...need to tell the shop wut gears to order

True have u taken it to the track for the differences or no

4:10's all the way since the cost is the same. The "noisiness" is simply because the engine runs at a few hundred more RPM. I have a car with 4:10 and 3:73. 4:10 is not that much noisier and you will definetly like the feel of 4:10's. GAs mileage will also be a little worse.

You may also nee dot get a tuner or chip. Factor in that cost.

4:10's all the way since the cost is the same. The "noisiness" is simply because the engine runs at a few hundred more RPM. I have a car with 4:10 and 3:73. 4:10 is not that much noisier and you will definetly like the feel of 4:10's. GAs mileage will also be a little worse.

You may also nee dot get a tuner or chip. Factor in that cost.

I say 4.10s also, same price better results. 3500 stall here as well. A couple hundred rpm cruising is nothing, no more noisy then 3.73s.

I agree you'll prob want/need a tune to at least improve shift schedule with the gears. Also a new drive shaft may be in order.

Don't fear the gear. A heavy car needs more gear. Alot of peeps with mustangs always recommened a street gear of 3.73. The Fox stang weighs 3200 ish and max rpm of 5600 the MK8 is 4000lbs and max rpm of 6600-6800 rpm. That why MK8s are nice with 4.10's

Thanks I asked about the tune they said its not 100% necessary but I also manually shift anyways so I don't think that'll be to Mich of a problem

It all depends on how you plan to use the car. If you plan on any interstate driving or road trips I would shy away from the 4:10's. I am running 3:73's and couldn't be happier. But i use the car primarily for cruise nights, and road trips to LvC events.

The determining factor for me was how the car reacted in the 1\4 mile. With 3:73's it shifts just as it is going through the traps, but with 4:10's it shifts before, then bogs through the traps.

I've heard 3.90s have problems but I'm a stock motor I'm sure ill still be in third crossing the trap with 4.10s it shifts into third about 200 ft before the trap now

I had 3:73's in my 94 and I was pleased with them as I did a lot of highway but if I were to do it again, 4:10's would be my choice unless I went forced induction:D

6600-6800 on a mark viii???

If memory serves me, my car shifts at 6kish...how do I get more rpm's out of it and will it make power to that with the stock cams/heads/intake?

BTW, i'm going 4.10's....these 32v engines don't make a lot of torque, so they need more gear to get going

If memory serves me, my car shifts at 6kish...how do I get more rpm's out of it and will it make power to that with the stock cams/heads/intake?

BTW, i'm going 4.10's....these 32v engines don't make a lot of torque, so they need more gear to get going

I have a Diablo chip in mine. Stock Exh it would shift gears at 6600 now with full exh it shifts at 7000. Thats max RPM of stock balancer and powedered metal oil pump gears. The 4.6 likes 6800.

I have a Diablo chip in mine. Stock Exh it would shift gears at 6600 now with full exh it shifts at 7000. Thats max RPM of stock balancer and powedered metal oil pump gears. The 4.6 likes 6800.

wow!! the stock trans can handle that??
I'm thinking of getting an xcal..or should I have it chipped like you?? I'll try the search, dont' want to steal his thread

wow!! the stock trans can handle that??
I'm thinking of getting an xcal..or should I have it chipped like you?? I'll try the search, dont' want to steal his thread

Mine is a 1993 which is EEC4 so chip only. Yours is OBD11 which is great to work with all kinds of goodies. Stock converter has a limit of 6600 rpm as i heard. (balloning) I ran my stock conv to 6600 all the time. I have a 9.5 inch converter now.

Wen the hell did u get a mark dude

4:10 all the way. The only reasons not to is top end and gas mileage and you already answered that one.

I put in 4.10s, if your going to stay auto/na....you might want to consider going deeper...4.30s.

I thought bout those but its goin to be more street than strip but wen I do hit the strip I wanna know I got some kick back there...and I don't think 3.73s r going to be my cup of tea with radials so yeah....if I can run alow to mid 14 ill be happy for now hell stock it ran 14.9 15 flat worst wa 17.2 with :q:q:q:qtty track prep...just spinning half the track..let off get back on spin let off get back on spin...I was kinda pissed

oh i also heard something about if i put a locker in i gotta get a different differential cover? is this true or not?

well the locker i have is rebuilt out of a tbird supercoupe anyways so it was made for that rearend as well..... but someone one my youtube vid said they needed to get one for their mark.... but just checking....

Members online

Back