3.58 rear end swap (took out the 3.31)

02V8Sport

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well guys, I know this question came up in the past and just wanted to let you know that after visiting my local bone yard. I was able to pick up a 3.58 rear end with 9K miles on it for $200. I had my mechanic swap it out for me and let me tell you. It was well worth the money. The car gets all the jump off the line that it was missing. Next its track time to get some numbers.

didjital| said:
What did the gear come from? How much was the install?
Works:
The 00 LS from first off the production line in 1999 to 6-99 have a 3.58 that fits exactly.

Not Sure: (but more than likely do)
Then in 2003-2005 the LS has a 3.58 same with the 2002+ T-Bird.

Install for me was $0. I setup a network in my mechanics house, we are on the barter system, haha

Wow he must have some juniper m160's and about a few gbit switches and a 44U cabinet with stacks of 2U's in there to equal the barter trade!! :D :Beer

Nice job on the swap, lets hear some 1/4 times soon!

didjital| said:
Wow he must have some juniper m160's and about a few gbit switches and a 44U cabinet with stacks of 2U's in there to equal the barter trade!! :D :Beer

Nice job on the swap, lets hear some 1/4 times soon!
hahaha. that would be hilarious!! Thats a lot of equipment. My hourly rate is double his and it only took him 1.5 hours to do it. So he still owes me. Us IT guys always get screwed. I am ready for the track once this nice cool air comes rolling in. The heat still makes the car ping when the car gets heat soaked. I can see what it will run with 100 octane with some more timing advance. Will post as soon as I can get to the track :)

What is someone looking for to confirm its 3.58 , can you give me more specifics on how to identify the right model ls? this is definately something I want to do

didjital| said:
What is someone looking for to confirm its 3.58 , can you give me more specifics on how to identify the right model ls? this is definately something I want to do

I believe that there is a sticker at the top of the rearend housing cover that states the gear ratio and some other stuff. I definently want to do this swap. I gotta find a junk yard.

After driving around with this gear for a couple days, The LS has alot more response all the way around the RPM band. I have been in some sweet off the line races where people couldnt believe I was keeping up or beating them. Next weekend I may be in Rockford, IL for a 1/4 mile event open to all if anyone wants to meet up. I remember people saying there wont be much of a difference between the 3.31 and 3.58, but there is. A 3.73 would be perfect. Maybe I can use my spare pumpkin to try to put one together.

What are everyones thoughts on a 3.73 in these cars?

I talked to the guy I do a lot of parts work with on other sites and he said once we iron down a part list we might be able to build it?

My question is with the 00-02 LSV8's how well does everyone think the 3.73 would do and what the con's to the project might be? If not a 3.73, im definately rebuilding into a 3.58 in the next month.

Any updates on the new gears? Good or bad feedback after driving it for a few more days? Let us know...as I am seriously considering doing this 1st to my '02 LSE.

If Axle tag number: 554B - 3.31
and Axle tag number: 556B - 3.58
then does anyone know what Axle tag number: 562A is? This is what is on the tag attached to my rear end. I was trying to figure out what rear end gears I have in my 2000 LS V8 sport.

confused

02V8Sport said:
Axle tag number: 554B - 3.31
Axle tag number: 556B - 3.58

2003+ V8's have the 3.58, not sure about the V6
2002+ T-birds have the 3.58
2-99 - 6-99 (early 2000) LS's have the 3.58

I'm confused. You wrote "2002+ T-birds have the 3.58".

Does this mean that the 2002 already has the 3.58 gears in it?

OLLY00 said:
If Axle tag number: 554B - 3.31
and Axle tag number: 556B - 3.58
then does anyone know what Axle tag number: 562A is? This is what is on the tag attached to my rear end. I was trying to figure out what rear end gears I have in my 2000 LS V8 sport.

hmm, yeah what is 562A??? i have that in my 2000 S-type 4.0....

LikeNew02 said:
I'm confused. You wrote "2002+ T-birds have the 3.58".

Does this mean that the 2002 already has the 3.58 gears in it?

No, the 2002 T-Bird has the 3.58 but not the 2002 LS. LS didnt get the 3.58 until 2003 again.

speedracertjl said:
Any updates on the new gears? Good or bad feedback after driving it for a few more days? Let us know...as I am seriously considering doing this 1st to my '02 LSE.

The car still feels great. The 3.58 lets it rip through the gears quicker. I put 255/45/17 tires on my car about 6 months ago and wasnt able to break them loose witht he 3.31 at all because of the extra tire width. Now with the 3.58 I can break them loose a bit to get through 1st gear quicker and help the motor get past its low end weak point. Definately worth the $200.

Rear end ratios:
Early V8's..... 3.58
Rest of V8's through '02..... 3.31
All V6 auto's...... 3.58
All manual's..... 3.07

The tag also says what the ratio is. Just look for a 3.31 or 3.58 on the V8.

If you want a V8 3.31 0-60, just look back at the early mag reviews. They used a V8 with the 3.58.

02V8Sport..do you know where I can pick up a set of 3.58's? If so PM me or post it here.I'll be doing this when I find them.Thanks for the feedback

why did they change to the 3.31 for a couple of years? Better Fuel Economy?

I remember that when I test drove a 2003 that it did seem faster than the 2002 I bought. When I test drove the 2003 on the freeway, I just floored it on the onramp and I was at 90mph before I knew it. Then I said something like "damm! this has some good power". When I checked the fuel economy display after the drive it read 8.7 mpg. :)

Axle tags:

562A is 3.31
564A is 3.58

Got these from Lincoln today. I have the 564A in mine now.

LikeNew02 said:
why did they change to the 3.31 for a couple of years? Better Fuel Economy?

I remember that when I test drove a 2003 that it did seem faster than the 2002 I bought. When I test drove the 2003 on the freeway, I just floored it on the onramp and I was at 90mph before I knew it. Then I said something like "damm! this has some good power". When I checked the fuel economy display after the drive it read 8.7 mpg. :)

I was for better fuel economy. With the 03+ having 280HP VVT motors they were able to get better fuel economy out of them. A 02 with mods will beat a 03+ I run my friends 04 Sport with an intake all the time and he couldnt beat me with my 3.31 I had. With a 3.58 in my car now he will get whooped even worse.

Members online

No members online now.
Back