3.0 and 3.8 ECU

crookshanks

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I am in need of a new ECU for my 94 Continental, does anyone know if the 3.0 computer will work for the 3.8? Also, what years can I interchange ECUs.

Thanks!

I would doubt they are 100% interchangable, and even if they were similar , would doubt one from a taurus/sable would work in the conti (quite a bit different wiring harness in the dash, which does connect to the engine computer).

The conti was only offered with the 3.8.

as for years of interchangablility, not sure, but I know the early ones (88-90) typically had non-electronic trannys, and some 91's also I believe. so it would have to come from a late 91-94 if they could be interchanged.

What makes you feel you need to replace it, they rarely fail.

Have you looked into getting it reprogrammed? Auto Parts Distributers here will do it 'in the car'. APD said they install a new program, with updates if there are any.
Regards,
Brad.

p.s. still no pics of my car, but it is still working with the last regulator I installed. My AC on the other hand is blowing warm air after about 15 minutes of running. Not sure what is up with that?

warm after 15 minutes. nice and cold until then??

ok, here are a few things to check..

1. refridgerant level (borderline low could cause that)
2. blend door (not staying in proper position).. check vacuum sources and check vavles.
3. again, blend door related, not in proper position at all, and when engine gets warmed up good, your actually getting hot air from the heater core mixed in with the cold air from A/C.
4. EATC (and its appropriate sensors). on my 91, they are the cabin air temp (located above glove box), and sunload (on dash, near speakers, but not sure if left or right is the sunload sensor, and other one is for autolamp)

Assuming that the EATC is working properly and the heat properly adjusts during winter (it shouldn't blow full hot all the time, it should vary to maintain cabin temp), then I will go with #1 as prime cause.

I am going with it is bad because it has a slight miss at idle which I have been unable to track down. When I went to go have the computer checked with on of the Snap-On machines that hooks up to the computer, the car will not do the Key On Key Off Test, which is one of the first tests the car must do before I can get all of the codes off of the computer.

hmmm.. lemme research a link for ya to pull the codes yourself (no major machine is required, its just basically jumping 2 wires together and a little reading of codes from the check engine light if I recall correctly).

its not an OBD-II system, which has much more diagnostics capabilities than the good old EEC-IV (obd-I style) system ford used up till 96 (some 95's)

here ya go, you can get em yourself!

http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/eecivtest.html

Members online

No members online now.
Back