2nd Gen V8 Engine VIN Plate Location?

briasmit91

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, we're shopping around for another beaut! This time, I've come across another 2004 LS with 175k on the clock. The owner says they've replaced the engine with one that has 124k, but they don't have any papers. Is there a way to actually verify this? I'd like to know if the VIN stamp is located somewhere easily accessible. Other than that little bump the car runs perfect. No hiccups at all for a car with that many miles. Anything to look out for other than the usual?

Hi guys, we're shopping around for another beaut! This time, I've come across another 2004 LS with 175k on the clock. The owner says they've replaced the engine with one that has 124k, but they don't have any papers. Is there a way to actually verify this? I'd like to know if the VIN stamp is located somewhere easily accessible. Other than that little bump the car runs perfect. No hiccups at all for a car with that many miles. Anything to look out for other than the usual?

Really????? Engine replaced and no documentation? Sounds suspicious to me!!

The owner says they've replaced the engine with one that has 124k, but they don't have any papers. Is there a way to actually verify this?

Even if you found a VIN and found it to be different than the body VIN, it's not going to tell you anything about mileage. It could be a 125k engine, a 225k engine, a 25k engine... I mean, I guess you could get a Carfax report or something on the engine's VIN and see when the last reported mileage and hope for the best.

Edit:

But I could take a look at my Gen 1 engine in a couple of days and see if I see anything... if there's a plate, it should be the same place on both gens

Really????? Engine replaced and no documentation? Sounds suspicious to me!!

Buy at junkyard > trash handwritten receipt > replaced by mechanic friend of the clock or in driveway

Not all that suspicious. I probably wouldn't claim to only knock the mileage down 50k on a 175k car if I was lying.

LSFrank, that was my intentions. I was just curious. But you do make a point. I wouldn't knock the mileage 50k either if I was lying.

LS4me, I thought it was a bit suspicious too. But on the other hand, it is a piece of paper which can easily be lost.

Members online

Back