275hp and 300hp

Reaction score
ok i am confused, what is the diffence between these two engines, i hered there is a different camshaft for the SLS, ESC models witch brings down the hp from 300 to 275. they say they did this so there is more low end torque, for better acceration.

so my question is what one is faster in the 0-60 times? STS or SLS, and ETC or ESC.

and what is the difference between the ETC and the ESC ( interor wise )

cuz i thing the ESC looks better than the ETC :feedback

but why would they put a lower range cam for better accleration and better response, if it aint faster? it doesnt make sence

do you know if anything else besides cams are different between the engines.

i need to know how much faster it is cuz i am looking at an ESC and wondering if it is going to be alot slower

Peak horsepower isn't acceleration. It's just a measure of instantaneous power output at a given RPM. The other cam (lower peak HP) probably provides more low end torque (which gives more horsepower lower in the powerband). That particular cam design probably sacrifices high end power to remain emissions legal.

The Captain explains it well, low end torque is certainly the advantage of the ELC/SLS, but you don't have as much as a boost at 50+ as in the ETC/STS.

Both are really nice

Below is a quote from a Cadillac engineer (Bbobynski):

The 270 and 275 HP engines (LD8) are basically the same. The 295 and 300 HP engines (L37) are basically the same. The Northstar engines were rated 270/295 in 93/94. Those engines became 275/300 in 1995-99. The difference between the L37 and the LD8 engines from 93-99 is the intake camshafts....that is all that accounts for the HP difference. The 5 HP from 93/94 to 95 was due to the intake manifold design changing from the large enclosure with internal tuning tubes to the one piece, injection molded plastic manifold in 95. The difference in power levels is not due to a simple "chip" or cal change.

Members online

No members online now.
Back