2009 Lincoln MKS Review by Edmunds

captainalias

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
No, it's not some crappy review by an amateur over at Jalopnik, thank god.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=126727?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1.*

Now, how long til we get a hybrid EcoBoost? :)

First Impressions: The world's most completely equipped Taurus/Taurus X/Sable/Volvo/Flex, which turns out to be not such a bad thing.

We're pleased to announce the death of the retro Lincoln interiors. The interior is the car's greatest strength. In contrast to the dual-pod retro-ism and cheap-looking nickel-color plastic of recent years, the MKS goes a thoroughly modern route that is, dare we say, elegant.

Heated and cooled front seats lead off a long list of standard equipment in the MKS.

I like the design on the 19" rims much better than the 20s. I'm glad they carried it over from the concept car.

At least it takes 87 octane- there's a slight decrease in engine power of 2 hp and 6 lb-ft of torque, but that doesn't seem very noticeable.

I believe the regular EcoBoost gets 340hp on 87 octane, and 400+hp on 91 octane. :)

Is it just me or does 4200lbs seem like a lot even with a 340hp engine? I guess from what they say this car doesn't have performance in mind at all. It's sheer comfort and luxury.

Somehow I doubt putting in 91 octane increases the EcoBoost engine's output by 60+ hp unless it's tuned. And I can't see them putting in anything over 340hp like the article says since it's not a performance minded car. It really will need 400+hp though to haul ass since it has a hell of a lot of ass to haul.

I am also waiting to see how reliable it is since Lincoln and Ford aren't exactly known for that attribute. It has a lot of little bells and whistles but that's also a lot more that can go wrong with given their track record I just can't see this car being reliable. I hope it is since this is what Lincoln needs. All it is to me though is a pretty car. Other than that I don't see much else going for it.

The MKZ is designed for luxury. This is the sport version.

Since the LS is already pretty snappy with 280 HP, and weighs 200 more pounds. The MKS should be rate snappy with its lighter engine, twin turbo, and 93 octane.

You have seen the video of the ecoboost Taurus kicking the asses of other midrange sedans right? I think the ecoboost could be another SHO.

How is this the sport version? That article made it pretty clear they were letting Cadillac go gunning for the Nurburgring running RWD cars while they were going back to classic luxury with this car being the flagship of that mentality.

Where do you get the LS weighs 200 more lbs? According to that article the MKS weighs 4200 and from what I've always known the LS weighs 3700-3800.

I'm in love... Although if I were the type to buy brand new, I'd wait for the ecoboost too. But I don't buy new. I let some other sucker take the depreciation hit.

Of course I didn't like it at first because I love my LS, but if you look at the MKS from an unbiased point of view, it's a very nice ride in it's own right.

I'm in love... Although if I were the type to buy brand new, I'd wait for the ecoboost too. But I don't buy new. I let some other sucker take the depreciation hit.

Of course I didn't like it at first because I love my LS, but if you look at the MKS from an unbiased point of view, it's a very nice ride in it's own right.

I think it looks great! The overall build quality (esp. the interior) seems much better than the LS.

Of course, I'm going to wait for the EcoBoost too. :)

How is this the sport version? That article made it pretty clear they were letting Cadillac go gunning for the Nurburgring running RWD cars while they were going back to classic luxury with this car being the flagship of that mentality.

Where do you get the LS weighs 200 more lbs? According to that article the MKS weighs 4200 and from what I've always known the LS weighs 3700-3800.

The LS weighs under 3,800 lbs.

youtube video of media day a couple days ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXSMczXUnzs

Sweet, you can watch star wars on the full color 8" VGA nav screen.

that's a cool navi system. at the end tho, the guy makes it seem like it's not all that confusing to voice command the directions to the airport, to me it seemed extremely complicated. that's just me (someone who hasn't had navi in their car). the 8" screen is tight tho. it has so many freaking gadgets that the navi unit should probably come in a manual as thick as the cars manual as well, lol

I saw a screenshot of the MKS was on Motorweek recently did anyone catch it? i dunno if it was a detailed review or just a sneak peek

The LS weighs under 3,800 lbs.

Uh thanks for clearing that up since I'm pretty sure I said between 3700-3800. Lucky I have you to "correct" me.

MKS is 10" longer and 300 lbs heavier; still surprising the 275 hp can move it from 0 to 60 in 7 secs.

It is surprising but to me in this day and age that's not considered very fast and it's not exactly a nimble car.

I see this as a Town Car replacement more than anything.

Curb Weight : 3755 lbs
Overall length : 193.9 in.
Wheelbase : 114.5 in.
Overall Width : 73.2 in.
Height : 56.1 in.
FWIW, the wheelbase and height match Lincoln's numbers for the '05 LS, but they list the curb weight at 3719lbs/3772lbs (V6/V8), the width at 80.1", and the overall length at 194.3".

I agree with you on the MKS being a replacement for the Town Car, not the LS. It is quite obviously aimed at the luxury market, with the luxury-sport market being left to the forthcoming RWD sedan (successor to the MKR show car) and a possible Mustang-based coupe.

Of course, if y'all are concerned with the MKS's 4100lbs, what do you think of the Dodge Porker, err, Challenger, which tips the scales at 4140lbs? :eek:

Members online

No members online now.
Back