2006 Xlr-v.....440hp!

1_XLR

Active LVC Member
Reaction score

cadillac1.jpg

I'm having too much touble trynig to keep my licence and insurance with the car I got....but I'll decide after they put a price on that bad boy!

1wykdmk8 said:
I hear ya! Good luck wif it. :Beer

To tell you the truth, with as little bias as I can, I would rather have the corvette than that thing. I do not care for the styling. Depending on what they would ask for it, I would opt for the least powerful mercedes even if it was more expensive. The sides are too perpendicular to the road and the hood bears too much of a resemblance to the corvette hood.

Although, there is a great many things about this car that I personally love, The speed is the first, second the fact that it is so exclusive, but it seems to me that I see more Mercedes SL's around than these things, If cadillac wants to make some money they better beef up the production.

Also, when I was at the 2004 auto show I saw a presentation about the base XLR. Probably the best presentation I have ever seen for a car. The person was at the 2005 auto show as well to present the STS-V. Also a very good presentation.

The only complaint that I have about the current cadillacs is that they are all so similar. I understand that they want to show their family resemblance, but for goodnes sake, make them uniqe. The STS-V and CTS-V have almost carbon copied front ends.

As far as the CTS, I do not understand why it sells better than the lincoln LS. The chasis on the LS is far more developed and it beat the BMW 540 i in a road test. I just don't understand.

The same goes for the Escalade. Cadillac can get away by simply changing the front of their SUV and slapping some wood trim on the interior of the suburban and the Navigator gets crucified even when they totally revamp the inteior as well as give it a similar facelif.

Also, the Navigator has independent rear suspension, a Six speed automatic transmision (developed in coorporation with GM) as well as roll stability control.

The escalade has a 4-spd transmission with a solid rear axle and no roll stability control.

I just think that the average person looks for the prestige of the history rather than the actual capability or quality of the car.

Also, the quality between cadillac and lincoln is extreamly similar. My brothers 94 STS has more interior rattles than my 84 towncar had.

I just don't understand why everything that Cadillac turns to gold and that everything that Lincoln does is seen as mediocre.

TownCar97

I love the angular sharp styling of the XLR, I grew up in an era of cars with sharp lines.
I have never like the round styling of the new cars, in fact, except for the Cadillac XLR
CTS and new Seville, there isn't anything on the road that I like style wise. I think most these new cars are (for my taste) just plain ugly, case in point, Nissan Maxima,
any Lexus, YUK!!!! As for rattles, I have a 1994 Cadillac Concours, and and 89 Sedan
de Ville, neither of these cars have a any rattles.

I think angular styling can works well with the XLR, but I also like curves like those of a Jaguar XKR.

I like these pictures a lot.

0505_xlrv_2.jpg

0505_xlrv_3.jpg

2006-Cadillac-XLR-V-Engine-1280x960.jpg

cadillac-xl-007-800.jpg

cadillac-xl-006-800.jpg

xlrv8.jpg

CJG_7275.JPG

cd2006xlr1347189.jpg

and here is the "standard" XLR's chassis

x05ar_ca014.jpg

x05ar_ca010.jpg

To tell you the truth, with as little bias as I can, I would rather have the corvette than that thing. I do not care for the styling. Depending on what they would ask for it, I would opt for the least powerful mercedes even if it was more expensive. The sides are too perpendicular to the road and the hood bears too much of a resemblance to the corvette hood.

Although, there is a great many things about this car that I personally love, The speed is the first, second the fact that it is so exclusive, but it seems to me that I see more Mercedes SL's around than these things, If cadillac wants to make some money they better beef up the production.

Also, when I was at the 2004 auto show I saw a presentation about the base XLR. Probably the best presentation I have ever seen for a car. The person was at the 2005 auto show as well to present the STS-V. Also a very good presentation.

The only complaint that I have about the current cadillacs is that they are all so similar. I understand that they want to show their family resemblance, but for goodnes sake, make them uniqe. The STS-V and CTS-V have almost carbon copied front ends.

As far as the CTS, I do not understand why it sells better than the lincoln LS. The chasis on the LS is far more developed and it beat the BMW 540 i in a road test. I just don't understand.

The same goes for the Escalade. Cadillac can get away by simply changing the front of their SUV and slapping some wood trim on the interior of the suburban and the Navigator gets crucified even when they totally revamp the inteior as well as give it a similar facelif.

Also, the Navigator has independent rear suspension, a Six speed automatic transmision (developed in coorporation with GM) as well as roll stability control.

The escalade has a 4-spd transmission with a solid rear axle and no roll stability control.

I just think that the average person looks for the prestige of the history rather than the actual capability or quality of the car.

Also, the quality between cadillac and lincoln is extreamly similar. My brothers 94 STS has more interior rattles than my 84 towncar had.

I just don't understand why everything that Cadillac turns to gold and that everything that Lincoln does is seen as mediocre.

TownCar97

I know this thread is months old but Im resurecting it.Granted TownCar,you are Lincoln bias.As I am Cadillac bias.I understand that its hard for you to admit that this thing is sharper than anything Lincoln has to offer.If you truely believe this thing isn't good looking at all then you has no taste in automobiles.You and I both know you think its nice.I know this because you said it shares too much with the Corvette.Thats where your burnt.There are no similarities between the two.You can admit that its nice TC,everyone in the world would agree with you.

The only reason you see more SL's is because the XLR has been out for 2 years.It hasn't had a chance to build a reputation.I was at the 2004 New York International Auto Show and I was also watching the presentation and the Cadillac rep told us that within the first 15 minutes of the XLR being able to be oredered,Cadillac had already had 190 orders in for XLR's,in 15 minutes!My local dealer has sold 7 of them since they have been out.Cadillac sells all the XLR's that they make.There limited production.Cadillac does this with the XLR so that the demand will rise and they will produce more and more each year.The XLR sales are doing fine.They have sold far more than they ever expected to and faster than they epected.

Cadillacs of today are very unique.Notice you can't mistake a Cadillac fro anything else on the road.They look like nothing else out there.There for in my opinion are more unique styling wise than any car currently being produced.Its better to have a line-up that share strong styling cues rather than to have a line-up that share absolutly none and look nothing like eachother but look more like other cars.

The CTS sells so much more because its a all around better car than the LS.The styling on the CTS blows away the LS.The build quality is far better.People here nothing but nightmares about the LS.Check out consumer reports.The LS gets terrible ratings where as the CTS gets great ones.A lot of people do go by these things.And where do you get the idea that the chassis on the LS is far more developed than the CTS's?Wheres your proof that the LS beat the 540i in road test comparisons?I have driven a LS and my 3.6l in my CTS is much quicker,sounds better and runs better.And the LS's handling can't compare to my CTS.My CTS handles a thousand times better than the LS I drove.Im just not believing that at all.

The thing about the Escalade is that people know what it is.It's earned a name for itself.You can't mistake a Escalade for a Yukon like you can a Navigator for a Expedition.The Escalade looks better also.And thats just something that the Navigator will never beable to amount to.And have you heard of Stabi-Trac?The Escalade has it and it is a far more developed system than the Navigator's stability control system.And considering most people don't race with their Escalades,they don't care about how many speeds the transmission has.Most people that spend more than 50 large on a car can't tell you what a transmission does for the car.And its the same for solid rear axle.

Cadillac has prestige,great history,and excellent quality.Something you don't get from a Lincoln.

You brothers STS is one Cadillac.You also have to take into consideration,was it used?What was the mileage?Where did he live?Did he and the previous owner take care of it?My 1990 Coupe Deville with 430K miles has not a single rattle.Its also a winter beater in Rochester's harsh winters.Yet alone my ETC or CTS.I have been in Lincolns galour that have rattles.Any Lincoln my brother ever had was a rattle box.He keeps complaining to me that there junk and there a headache but he keeps buying them.

If you don't understand why,then buy a Cadillac.You will be cured,I promise.

TownCar97: I just don't understand why everything that Cadillac turns to gold and that everything that Lincoln does is seen as mediocre.

When Lincoln makes a 440 horse convertible I'll give them credit for not being mediocre. A 200 horse 3.0 V6 is mediocre in their latest Zephyr.

CPVILLST90: Wheres your proof that the LS beat the 540i in road test comparisons?

I believe that was in motor trend in 2000.

CpeVille, you had some solid points, until we got to here:

The thing about the Escalade is that people know what it is.It's earned a name for itself.You can't mistake a Escalade for a Yukon like you can a Navigator for a Expedition.

Now this is just straight up BS. The Escalade when it came out was a Ukon Denali with a slightly different grille, and evolved into a Yukon with a different front end. The interior of an Escalade looks EXACTLY like the Silverado I rented from U-Haul last week, except with trim on it.

A Navigator shares almost NOTHING on the outside or interior with the Expedition.

The Escalade never really earned a name for itself. It was just stupendous marketing. When it arrived on the scene, it was a warmed over Yukon Denali, with a slightly different grille, and didn't even have disc brakes in the rear. There was basically nothing besides Cadillac badges differentiating the 2.

The Escalade looks better also.And thats just something that the Navigator will never beable to amount to.

I think that right there is a simple matter of opinion.

And have you heard of Stabi-Trac?The Escalade has it and it is a far more developed system than the Navigator's stability control system.

In what way exactly? And how does building a truck on an outdated suspension make the Escalade a superior footed vehicle?

And considering most people don't race with their Escalades,they don't care about how many speeds the transmission has.

If you think that a 6 speed transmission has anything to do with racing, then I feel for you for having been so badly mistaken.

Most people that spend more than 50 large on a car can't tell you what a transmission does for the car.And its the same for solid rear axle.

I'll give you that much, but they should be able to feel the difference.

Holy Dead Thread Batman!

That car is on the chopping block now due to the success of the CTS.

The '09 CTS-V is a much better car.... faster, cheaper, roomier... but then again, it's not a drop-top. I always did like the XLR8 though.

Holy Dead Thread Batman!

That car is on the chopping block now due to the success of the CTS.

What this means is that, we ought to be able to find them on the cheap. I have a friend who is a dealer, recently asked him about XLR's and he said you can get them very good prices... I'll take it! Probably my next ride... The car is simply classic cool... This past summer I was having a beer sittin' outside a place at the shore and there was an XLR across the street. Guy comes up, opens door; starts it up... nice refined rumble, then the roof goes in action and neatly hides itself... Then it pulls away! I was like man, that was cool.

Sat in the XLR-V this weekend... Love this car, will likely pull the trigger on one in Spring 2010.
This competes well in the coupe market with MB - SL55 and SL500, Inf-G37S-now with hard convert, Lex-SC430...

Was talking with my dealer friend and I think we can get a great deal on a 2007 V... Time will tell...

Members online

No members online now.
Back