2006 V8 engine replacement

LSE_4_LYFE

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Bought an LS with motor seized up. Was hoping someone could give me advice on what I should replace while motor is out. I know I should replace everything but I'm not putting thousands into it at this point. Just want to replace the hard to get to things while motor in. So far on my list is cooling system.

How long was it sitting with the blown engine?

A little prior planning would prevent some of this grief you're experiencing. So a good used motor under 100k about 800-1000. Got mine at 89k 850. And since you got it out, power spray the engine bay, all new radiator hoses, water pump, front & rear main seals, send one set of injectors out for cleaning, and dont forget CRC connector cleaner several cans. Reseat with plenty of Permatex 650°F silicone of the oil dip stick tube, a major leaker. And over time the thin sheet metal exhaust gaskets leak a small amount of gas and harden the valve cover gaskets so, reset them with yes Permatex 650°F silicone. And if you snap off a stud, a relative easy fix out of the bay otherwise a super pain in the _ _ _. Motor mounts, power steering pump, alternator, & auxiliary water pump should have some attention. These are some of the tasks I did last year chasing the maintenance and replacing the complete AC sys on my 470k motor.
I would allocate two months of weekends to address most of the work while your save your money. Get the OEM service manual from Helms publishing.

How long was it sitting with the blown engine?
About a year. Found a motor with 65k miles. LS had 93k. Car was kept real clean. Thermostat housing went on it and wasn't replaced properly so the car was driven with overheating issues too long an blew motor. Other than that, I believe all else was workin properly.

15925188401223881756621494678239.jpg

Their loss is your gain. How long and how many miles do you want ro drive this car in the next 10 years?

I had mine 15 years with 482k on the oem 3.9l. The maintenance techniques I have learned has allowed to drive this mid-level sport car well beyond the intended life. Personal opinion, A daughter's first car should one that if a mistake is made and there will, she can still drive home unhurt. The LS is Five Star rated crash rated but a first car or for school , if you plan on thorough gone through on everything under the hood and brake/suspension systems that would be good. ( what a job ). Otherwise, I would choose a restored 78-79 Ford F100.

Yeah... If this is for a first time high school girl driver... that V8 has enough power to get her in trouble quickly. Especially in winter weather in the snow belt... being rear drive.

You may want to see if you can program limited throttle response... for her sake... considering it will do 135 stock.

Program it with the power of a Chevy Sprint.

Yeah... If this is for a first time high school girl driver... that V8 has enough power to get her in trouble quickly. Especially in winter weather in the snow belt... being rear drive.

You may want to see if you can program limited throttle response... for her sake... considering it will do 135 stock.

Program it with the power of a Chevy Sprint.
Live in Oklahoma so no worries on snow or ice. And it's her first nice car. She has a beater cobalt 5speed that will be her daily. Not an idiot father giving his daughter jus wat she wants. I know it will be work as does she.

A little prior planning would prevent some of this grief you're experiencing. So a good used motor under 100k about 800-1000. Got mine at 89k 850. And since you got it out, power spray the engine bay, all new radiator hoses, water pump, front & rear main seals, send one set of injectors out for cleaning, and dont forget CRC connector cleaner several cans. Reseat with plenty of Permatex 650°F silicone of the oil dip stick tube, a major leaker. And over time the thin sheet metal exhaust gaskets leak a small amount of gas and harden the valve cover gaskets so, reset them with yes Permatex 650°F silicone. And if you snap off a stud, a relative easy fix out of the bay otherwise a super pain in the _ _ _. Motor mounts, power steering pump, alternator, & auxiliary water pump should have some attention. These are some of the tasks I did last year chasing the maintenance and replacing the complete AC sys on my 470k motor.
I would allocate two months of weekends to address most of the work while your save your money. Get the OEM service manual from Helms publishing.
Thank you! Great info. Mind if I message you when we finally start tackling this thing?

Members online

No members online now.
Back