2006 navigation ipod interface?

Im looking at buying a 2006 LS with Navigation and don't know if it has a sat button?

I have a 2006 with navigation. The on screen "FM2" button changes to "SAT" if a sat tuner or adapter is plugged in. However, I have found no iPOD interfaces for the 2006 navigation that work. There are apparently adapters that work for 2003 to 2005 navigation, but there is something different about the 2006 system. (2003 may require a software update for the nav system)

I just completed iPod intergration on my 2006 with navigation last week. Nice custom install and it works great. I will post pictures and instuctions tomarrow

I just completed iPod intergration on my 2006 with navigation last week. Nice custom install and it works great. I will post pictures and instuctions tomarrow

Which adapter did you use?

Installation of iPod interface on 2006 LS w/ Navagation

Here it is...
I communicated directly with a tech person at P.I.E.

The adapter is by DPX Technology Plus and the Part # is PIE-FRD03-AUX/S
Next I purchased the PIE- RCA-iPD connector cables. This is the one that charges the iPod at 5V (this works for new generation models including the IPhone). I have a gen 3 Ipod nano and it works with this one for charging.
You can get PIE RCA-POD that charges at 12V but will not work on newer models.

They also have AV-ipd which has a composite video output and with a different interface cable I am sure you could get video on the OEM Nav screen.

I then purchased a CableJive 30 PIN Dock Extender which works great for my installation application. You can get different lengths but I went with 2ft.

Installation:

Disconnect the battery
First take out the silver faceplate around the shifter by gently prying the tab at the top around the ash tray and cigarette liter. Put some masking tape on your Nav and A/C face plates to avoid little scratches.

Then remove the ashtray assembly, 2 screws and two bolts.

Then gently pry off the top A/C vent and faceplate at the top of the dash with a flathead screwdriver between the Nav and plate.

Now you can access the four bolts that hold the Nav and A/C control as one unit.
Move you shift gear into Drive (block the wheels so your LS don’t end up down the street!). Pull the whole unit out and attach the FRD03-Aux/S per the instructions.

I ran the cable for connection to the RCA-iPD down to just above the gas pedal on the driver side. The connected the RCA-iPD and used Velcro to hold everything in place. You could do passenger side and do something in the glove box as another option.

I then removed the entire the center console and armrest/storage bin. I ran the 30 pin connector along the passenger side a cut a hole in the bottom of the storage bin. I connect the dock extender from there to have plenty of room to have the iPod anywhere or hidden in the storage box under the armrest. The cable squeezes between the armrest a bin without cutting.

Once done the Nav screen converts the FM2 to SAT. You then can play the iPod and control volume. This set up does not allow changing tracks with the nave screen controls. You must use the controls on the iPod. Volume control is via the steering wheel control or dash as normal.

Pics

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

DSCN0736_020.jpg

P.s.

Oh and by the way... When I had everything apart it was a great time to do the "SST back for upshift mod" which I did...it was a little harder than I thought to get the push-pins out of the harness (I damaged one and had to bypass it). If I had to do over I would have just cut the 4 wires and reconnected in the new configuration. I i love the revised shifting as it is so much more intuitive. Thanks to everyone that put that mod up with easy to follow steps.

Great write up man!! I have been looking for something like this exactly for my 06!
How much would you say all the cables and stuff cost?

Cost

I don't think I can promote any particular vendor on here...I would just do a Google on the part numbers and you can find some deals. Both the PIE adapter and Cable where around $100 including tax/shipping which is all you really need if you down need a bunch of extra cable length. The CableJive dock extender is a nice add but is pretty expensive @ around $36 w/ tax/shipping. The great thing about the CableJive is I use it with my Altec Lansing portable powered iPod speakers (or Bose) so you don't need to jam the Ipod without its case onto the unit (once in Hawaii a cute drunk girl ruined my Altec unit by jamming the ipod into the dock among other things ..but I guess it was worth it...) Just attach one end of the dock extender to the portable powered speaker unit and you have the mobility of the ipod on the cable and it stays in its protective case!

That's exactly how I ran my iPhone/Nano in my '03. I did not cut the hole though in my storage compartment. I just ran the wire under the carpet and through the back of the arm rest. Looks real clean though!

Where did you hide the AUX/S box and RCA connector, again?

Its shown in the 3rd picture. I used velcro to attach the unit on the black plastic area on the right side about a 12in above and back from the gas pedal as you sit in the drivers seat

The FRD03-AUX/S and RCA-iPD you should be able to get by doing a Google search by part number for around $100 including shipping/tax. The Cablejive dock extender is not required but a nice add. Its not cheap at $36 including shipping and tax but I also use this item with my Altec Lansing portable powered Ipod speakers so the ipod can stay in its protective case to avoid any damage to either the ipod or male base connector (poor design IMO on Bose, Altec, etc. ipod speaker units).

XFORD,
What is the firmware version on your navigation? I tried that exact adapter on my 06 and it doesn't work right. I have no control of the iPOD from the nav unit or the iPOD. It will play song after song from what ever you had set the iPOD up to do before connecting it, except in won't work if shuffle is on. Also, it stops working completely every few days. I have to disconnect and reconnect the adapter to restore it.
I'd like to compare nav firmware versions to see if that might be the issue.

The FRD03 Aux/S and RCA iPD should run you around $100 if you Google by part #'s. The CableJive is a nice add but not required unless you want the extra length its around $30 something shipped...I aslo use this on my Altec Lancing powered prtable speakers so you can advoid damage to the ipod since it can stay in its protective case and the male base connector so you are not jamming the ipod in it (a poor design on Bose, Altec, etc IMO).
#2 Software is 05.20 Database Version is US V00.04.05

The FRD03 Aux/S and RCA iPD should run you around $100 if you Google by part #'s. The CableJive is a nice add but not required unless you want the extra length its around $30 something shipped...I aslo use this on my Altec Lancing powered prtable speakers so you can advoid damage to the ipod since it can stay in its protective case and the male base connector so you are not jamming the ipod in it (a poor design on Bose, Altec, etc IMO).
#2 Software is 05.20 Database Version is US V00.04.05

Thanks for the info. I have the same version software, so that is not it. I also know that the FRD03 is not the problem. I tried it on my 04 and it worked correctly there. Weird...

joegr, you might want to try communicating with Eddie Lucero at PIE...he was very helpful and may know something to cure your problem. His e-mail is eddiel@pie.net. Worth a shot!

im traying the Ipod Interface FRD03-POD/S im going to order it this week i will let you guys know what happens i also called P.I.E and they said that as long as i have the SAT button this should work. will let you guys know how it turns out.

What does one have to get if there is no "SAT" button on the navigation system. I have a 2006 model that does not have the sat function and would like to interface it with my iPod.

Members online

No members online now.
Back