2006 LS Lost Power in 3rd gear

NWLS

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 LS that out of the blue lost 3rd gear. In D5 and D4 it will shift fine from 1rst to 2nd then when shifting into 3rd its a hard shift and once in I lose all power. If I give it gas in 3rd it will just rev high and not give any power. I can use the sport shift and skip 3rd all together and in 4rth it seems okay but not 100% as its pretty bogged down by the time I can get it in. Could this be a symptom of a failed solenoid? Ive had random hard shifts going from 2nd to 3rd for awhile. I haven't opened it up yet to see the fluid, but I will provide updates as I get farther into it. Just thought I would get the conversation going. 122k miles no fluid leaks or check lights.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert, but my guess is that its a worn intermediate servo piston and/or piston bore, or the piston could be broken. It's also possible that the servo problem resulted in a broken band. I fear that you are looking at a rebuild.

I'm not an expert, but my guess is that its a worn intermediate servo piston and/or piston bore, or the piston could be broken. It's also possible that the servo problem resulted in a broken band. I fear that you are looking at a rebuild.
I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct, and considering all the other possible problems a re-manufactured maybe the most cost efficient way to go anyways. I have been researching the re-manufactured 5r55s transmissions and it looks like many companies have built in allot of the fixes needed to keep the transmissions from having the common issues down the road. Any one have experience with any of these re-man transmissions?

Last edited:
... Any one have experience with any of these re-man transmissions?

Not what you are asking for I know, but ...
I just had mine rebuilt by a local guy with a great reputation. It shifts like new now. I was getting flairs in 3rd and very harsh 5-4 shifts. (The other shifts weren't great.) He said that mainly the clutches were worn out. He did all the fixes, such as putting sleeves in the case servo bores. I've only had it back for a couple of days, but so far, so good.

As a side note - Do you know the procedure for checking the PCM voltage?

Actually, it's current, not voltage. I don't have the exact procedure. The high altitude view of it is: Use a scan tool to command the PCM to a specific current level on one of the solenoids (do them all, but one at a time), while measuring the actual current flowing to the solenoid. This is done with the key in run, but the engine off. You need a breakout cable adapter between the PCM and the harness to do this with a multi-meter. Alternately, you might be able to untape the harness enough to get a DC clamp on probe (AC cheap, DC expensive) around each wire in turn.

Otherwise, you could just remove the PCM and send it to SIA to test (and repair if a problem is found).
Lincoln LS ECM / ECU Repair & Return - SIA Electronics

I drove the car around today and finally got it to give me the "E" and check engine. Pulled the code on my OBlinkII and it came up "P0745 Pressure control solenoid "a"". Can I feel safe replacing the solenoid pack or could it be a servo spring or something else?

It should be the solenoid assembly or the wiring to it or the PCM that causes that code, roughly in that order. Of course, you could still have other transmission problems too, possibly even caused by this problem.

We had a re-manufactured trans put in our 03 almost 2 years ago and it has worked well so far. It comes with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. Here is a link: ETE Reman | Remanufactured, Rebuilt & Used Auto Transmissions & Repair

I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct, and considering all the other possible problems a re-manufactured maybe the most cost efficient way to go anyways. I have been researching the re-manufactured 5r55s transmissions and it looks like many companies have built in allot of the fixes needed to keep the transmissions from having the common issues down the road. Any one have experience with any of these re-man transmissions?

Members online

Back