2006 LS Help

Chris Ward

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My cooling fan is too loud and I think it's on most/all of the time.

My headlight lens' are real bad and I need to take them apart and fix. I did polish the outside and found that I had some problems on the inside also and thus need to do the same.

Also I think that I need to replace the COP's and plugs as I am at 70,000 miles and on Monday when going 70mph and tried to pass a car and it hesitated and it felt like I lost a cyl.

Thanks,
Chris Ward

If you're plugs are bad you should be having misfires which would bring up a flashing check engine light. Check for oil on your coils and plugs while you're at it. The passenger bank should take 15 minutes, the other 4 take a bit longer.

I did have a flashing check engine light when I tried to pass a truck and then it went off and I keep going at a steady 70 mph

I did have a flashing check engine light when I tried to pass a truck and then it went off and I keep going at a steady 70 mph

Then I'm sorry to say you're right and do need a new coil or coil(s). If you have access to a scan tool that would be ideal to check which cylinder it is. If not I would advise checking your coils. All you have to do is unbolt the roughly 8 screws and take the cover off and the coils are right there. I would do it soon because misfires will ruin your cat but I wouldn't say that you cannot drive it at all.

Btw There's a Lott of info on bad coils for our cars, a couple quick searches should tell you everything you might need to know. There's also info on why coils can go bad on these engines and proper more permanent fixes.

If you're plugs are bad you should be having misfires which would bring up a flashing check engine light. ....

This misinformation comes up a lot. Yes, misfires should = flashing check engine light. However due to the way that the LS coils tend to become marginal instead of failing completely, often there is no check engine light, flashing or otherwise.
If you think you feel a misfire, you need to do something about it. Don't assume that just because there is no check engine light, there in no misfire. I've had plenty of bad coils that never triggered the light. The factory sent a letter to the dealers telling them to stress test the coils for warranty/extended warranty work because they've found that bad coils don't always trigger a code or a light.

It was believed that coil failure was caused by oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets. Certainly, oil can cause the boots to degrade and cause coil problems. However, the main cause of coil failure was traced down to high-voltage breakdown of the epoxy that the coils are potted with. There isn't really anything you can do to stop this failure. All of mine that have failed had no oil or water on them.

This misinformation comes up a lot. Yes, misfires should = flashing check engine light. However due to the way that the LS coils tend to become marginal instead of failing completely, often there is no check engine light, flashing or otherwise.
If you think you feel a misfire, you need to do something about it. Don't assume that just because there is no check engine light, there in no misfire. I've had plenty of bad coils that never triggered the light. The factory sent a letter to the dealers telling them to stress test the coils for warranty/extended warranty work because they've found that bad coils don't always trigger a code or a light.

It was believed that coil failure was caused by oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets. Certainly, oil can cause the boots to degrade and cause coil problems. However, the main cause of coil failure was traced down to high-voltage breakdown of the epoxy that the coils are potted with. There isn't really anything you can do to stop this failure. All of mine that have failed had no oil or water on them.

Thanks for catching that. Probably should have noted that since I too have had misfires without the light coming on/staying on. However I did have oil on mine when they failed because of a bad valve cover gasket. I also know someone with an 02 that had water in his. But every situation can be different and that's very interesting to hear about that epoxy problem.

Joe..... Any help with the fan?????
Yes. He started this all off with a PM to me. I feel that I covered it there. (Expected stuff, cooling system issues causing the engine to run hot, need to replace plastic parts...)

Yes. He started this all off with a PM to me. I feel that I covered it there. (Expected stuff, cooling system issues causing the engine to run hot, need to replace plastic parts...)

Thanks. We talked about this and I pointed him in your direction.

Members online

No members online now.
Back