2006 LS – Strange No start and other electrical issues

brianvnt90

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I’m usually a lurker here and the past 2 months I’ve been researching and trying out many things to fix my car to no avail. It’s a 2006 LS with 56K miles and about as nice as one as you’ll find. I only drive it in no-salt/winter conditions, that said, it does sit for a while out in the Detroit weather during the cold months. I try to start it up every week or so to keep it from killing the battery, but it doesn’t always work (battery will go dead at times).

So, about 2 months ago, it had been a week since I started the car and this time battery was dead. Ok, charged it up and I go to start it and no crank, instrument cluster dead (except for airbag icon) and after trying numerous starts it would show cryptic symbols in the odometer and shifter position screen (note though in the past month of other things I've tried with the car, the cryptic symbols have not returned). I disconnected the battery, reconnected, then the car would crank and start, but then die after 1-2 seconds. Then it will crank endlessly, but not start. My guess is since there is some residual fuel pressure in the system, enough to run for a second, but then that’s it.

During this time we have had a ton of rain/snow/wet here. So I checked the interior if water is getting in. Nope, carpet all dry. But, under the dash on the power cable that goes thru the firewall, there was wet dew on that and some other wires. So I got a fan in there and got more of those desiccant packs. (I always keep 1 or 2 in the car, but I got more to make sure it stays dry in there). No change in anything after ensuring the car was completely dry inside.

I knew the battery was old (from 2013) but it cranked the started no problem, regardless, off to the Ford dealer and bought a new battery. No change. I know from last fall another one of the coils was going bad (I changed 4 of them last year) so I made this an opportunity to replace the remaining 4 coils and at the same time replaced the spark plugs with new denso iridiums. Nope, not it either. So I disconnected the battery and find more things to try.

Next I saw some posts on here about disconnecting the MAF. Well, did that, reconnected the battery, and car starts and acts normal, save for check engine light for disconnected MAF and that putting the car in ETC failsafe mode. So, given I put a K&N filter in it last year, well, maybe my MAF is dirty. Cleaned it with cleaner. Hooked it back up next day, put a regular air filter in it, and car is normal and I took it out for a good beat down. Car felt faster than its ever been (BTW, I had it at the drag strip once and it ran 14.80s stock as I have kept it).

So, I thought done, fixed. Then next day its no crank again among other symptoms I’ll mention in a bit. Disconnect the battery again. Came back a couple hours later, hooked up the battery and starts up all normal. WTF. Later in the day tried starting it again, no problem, normal. Then later again, starts, normal, then after running a bit, gauges go completely dead. Turn car off and will either no crank or crank with no start (or run 1-2 seconds). Dash is dead save for airbag light.

Next I went to the junkyard and picked up a used MAF from a 2010 Lincoln MKS (MAF is same part number and $20, what the heck, worth trying). Reconnect the battery, car starts runs normal. So I think I got it fixed again. Go back hour later to test again, dead, wont crank. Since then I have tried:
-rest fuel switch, nope not it
-a used 2006 FEM I bought on eBay. No change, car runs normal sometimes, car is dead sometimes
-a used 2005 REM I took from the junkyard. Nope, still not fixed. Not the issue
-a used DDR drivers door module. Not it either
-all different relays, I changed, swapped, every one of them. Not it either
-all fused are fine none blown thru all of this
-tried my other 2 PATS keys, no difference from the main key I use
-Note I have since put the original FEM/REM/DDR all back in the car

Here is a list of the curious symptoms:
-rear defroster doesn’t work when I can get the car running even though it indicates its on, and when the car is in its dead mode, the orange light for rear defrost wont even light up when pushing it
-When the car is in one of its dead fits, power windows do not work at all, neither does the power tilt steering wheel
-HVAC, heated seats and radio works fine even when car is dead.
- the headlights sometimes turn on themselves and are stuck on. Headlamp switch does nothing. Only way to turn off headlights is disconnect the battery. But when I do get the car running, headlights as with everything else is fine.
-I mentioned the gauges a few times, this is probably the easiest indicator if the car will start or not. Dead gauges = no start or no crank, or if gauges go dead while the car is running, then car will not restart/crank.
-power locks work, but sometimes when you lock with the door button, the power lock will automatically reopen the lock when I’m sitting there with the car off!
-key fob works fine
-Once the engine is running (at least past if it has the 1-2 stall symptom), it will never shut off on its own. As I know PATS does not shut down a running engine ever.

So it seems that disconnecting the battery can reset or clear something, allowing the car to behave normal. But this isn’t always the case. Sometimes it doesn’t work and car remains dead (for sure if disconnecting and reconnecting say within a few minutes). If disconnecting and waiting overnight or a few hours, it almost always will start and run normal, for a time at least (until the gauges go dead). Its like something gets warmed up and then either corrupts the network and causes all these issues.

Once weather here allows, I’m going to take out the rear sail panels and see if anything is messed up with the rear defroster (defroster not working was concurrent with all these other problems). Also going to get the car up on jackstands and check any grounds or wiring on the starter/etc. But like I said, this car has no corrosion like a normal Michigan car (actually this car was originally from Phoenix till I bought it in 2010). I attached a picture when it was giving me cryptic symbols and then an all normal running picture after an overnight battery disconnect/reconnect.

Anyone have any recommendations/comments on this cars behavior? Sorry for the length, but I have never had this extensive of strange car problems before. And I have a 95 Grand Marquis and a 98 Mark VIII also that I’ve had issues with, but never like this LS.

Appreciate any help! Thanks

20220301_150510-LSdashsymbols.jpg

20220323_134100LSrunningnormal.jpg

Maybe you need to hook it up on a diagnostic , when its doing its thing. Cheapest will be to fabricate ELM327 adapter for Forscan. In case you are not good at fabrication just buy the one recommended from them link below and run the diagnostic. I think the free version should be enough tho , but even if you need the extended one you can request a 2 month trial for free. Then you can run the diagnostic and check the status of all modules. You report lack of power on various places, so this should be visible there and eventually you can pinpoint the problem. I have ETAS VCM replica with all the manuals in it ,so if you tell me what the forscan diagnostic reported i can look into the manufacturer troubleshooting procedure and tell you what actions you have to take in order to try to fix the problem.

Hi....yes, forgot to mention that I've run it thru Torq app and 'Car Scanner" app I have on my phone. They appeared to check all the modules and come up with nothing wrong. I do have Forscan but havent run that yet as the phone apps didnt find anything. I never get a check engine light when the car does its problem.

I actually thought I fixed it yesterday after taking off the underbody ground to the trans housing and all the starter cables and cleaning/wire brushing. All were clean although one little pig tail connector that comes out of the starter had some rust on the nut and the pigtail cover/electrical tape was cracked up. Didnt really look bad though. Put it all back to gether, reconnected the battery and went for a ride. All great. Then tried to start it this morning, stilll started and normal! Then after work today, I went to take it out for another test ride and yup, dead. Cranks but start for 1 second then dies. Dash dead save for airbag light. Power windows not working. PATS red light stuck on (note sometimes it doesnt come on sometimes it does during the problem). So back to square one, again. Every time I think I fixed it, it craps out again.
I'm going to try looking at the rear defroster connections as soon as the weather improves here. But after this, I'm running out of ideas....

Yes it has a sunroof, but never had a leak with it. We had a bunch of rain again and still dry in there. Its going to rain big again tonight, so going to check as I have been every time it rains.

And joegr, I did replace every SSP relay in the trunk. No change.

So, here is an update. Car started/ran normal on a cold start after leaving the battery connected overnight last night. And several times after started fine and gauges didnt go dead. Then this afternoon I took the RH rear sail panel off and found the rear window defroster tab detached from the window and dangling on the wire. So I likely found the reason why the defroster doesnt work. I soldered it back on, but its weak as the metal backing on the original window is not very robust on my particular car. I just ordered that silver filled epoxy defroster kit to put on as well to make sure it doesnt fall off again. After that I mustve started the car another 4 times and car starts/runs normal.

I dont want to jinx it like every other time I thought I fixed this no start/cluster/electrical issue....but maybe it was the dangling defroster tab/wire touching the c-pillar and shorting out. I dont know. But like I said, all these issues have been sporadic and all seem to have started same time I noticed the defroster not working.

I’m usually a lurker here and the past 2 months I’ve been researching and trying out many things to fix my car to no avail. It’s a 2006 LS with 56K miles and about as nice as one as you’ll find. I only drive it in no-salt/winter conditions, that said, it does sit for a while out in the Detroit weather during the cold months. I try to start it up every week or so to keep it from killing the battery, but it doesn’t always work (battery will go dead at times).

So, about 2 months ago, it had been a week since I started the car and this time battery was dead. Ok, charged it up and I go to start it and no crank, instrument cluster dead (except for airbag icon) and after trying numerous starts it would show cryptic symbols in the odometer and shifter position screen (note though in the past month of other things I've tried with the car, the cryptic symbols have not returned). I disconnected the battery, reconnected, then the car would crank and start, but then die after 1-2 seconds. Then it will crank endlessly, but not start. My guess is since there is some residual fuel pressure in the system, enough to run for a second, but then that’s it.

During this time we have had a ton of rain/snow/wet here. So I checked the interior if water is getting in. Nope, carpet all dry. But, under the dash on the power cable that goes thru the firewall, there was wet dew on that and some other wires. So I got a fan in there and got more of those desiccant packs. (I always keep 1 or 2 in the car, but I got more to make sure it stays dry in there). No change in anything after ensuring the car was completely dry inside.

I knew the battery was old (from 2013) but it cranked the started no problem, regardless, off to the Ford dealer and bought a new battery. No change. I know from last fall another one of the coils was going bad (I changed 4 of them last year) so I made this an opportunity to replace the remaining 4 coils and at the same time replaced the spark plugs with new denso iridiums. Nope, not it either. So I disconnected the battery and find more things to try.

Next I saw some posts on here about disconnecting the MAF. Well, did that, reconnected the battery, and car starts and acts normal, save for check engine light for disconnected MAF and that putting the car in ETC failsafe mode. So, given I put a K&N filter in it last year, well, maybe my MAF is dirty. Cleaned it with cleaner. Hooked it back up next day, put a regular air filter in it, and car is normal and I took it out for a good beat down. Car felt faster than its ever been (BTW, I had it at the drag strip once and it ran 14.80s stock as I have kept it).

So, I thought done, fixed. Then next day its no crank again among other symptoms I’ll mention in a bit. Disconnect the battery again. Came back a couple hours later, hooked up the battery and starts up all normal. WTF. Later in the day tried starting it again, no problem, normal. Then later again, starts, normal, then after running a bit, gauges go completely dead. Turn car off and will either no crank or crank with no start (or run 1-2 seconds). Dash is dead save for airbag light.

Next I went to the junkyard and picked up a used MAF from a 2010 Lincoln MKS (MAF is same part number and $20, what the heck, worth trying). Reconnect the battery, car starts runs normal. So I think I got it fixed again. Go back hour later to test again, dead, wont crank. Since then I have tried:
-rest fuel switch, nope not it
-a used 2006 FEM I bought on eBay. No change, car runs normal sometimes, car is dead sometimes
-a used 2005 REM I took from the junkyard. Nope, still not fixed. Not the issue
-a used DDR drivers door module. Not it either
-all different relays, I changed, swapped, every one of them. Not it either
-all fused are fine none blown thru all of this
-tried my other 2 PATS keys, no difference from the main key I use
-Note I have since put the original FEM/REM/DDR all back in the car

Here is a list of the curious symptoms:
-rear defroster doesn’t work when I can get the car running even though it indicates its on, and when the car is in its dead mode, the orange light for rear defrost wont even light up when pushing it
-When the car is in one of its dead fits, power windows do not work at all, neither does the power tilt steering wheel
-HVAC, heated seats and radio works fine even when car is dead.
- the headlights sometimes turn on themselves and are stuck on. Headlamp switch does nothing. Only way to turn off headlights is disconnect the battery. But when I do get the car running, headlights as with everything else is fine.
-I mentioned the gauges a few times, this is probably the easiest indicator if the car will start or not. Dead gauges = no start or no crank, or if gauges go dead while the car is running, then car will not restart/crank.
-power locks work, but sometimes when you lock with the door button, the power lock will automatically reopen the lock when I’m sitting there with the car off!
-key fob works fine
-Once the engine is running (at least past if it has the 1-2 stall symptom), it will never shut off on its own. As I know PATS does not shut down a running engine ever.

So it seems that disconnecting the battery can reset or clear something, allowing the car to behave normal. But this isn’t always the case. Sometimes it doesn’t work and car remains dead (for sure if disconnecting and reconnecting say within a few minutes). If disconnecting and waiting overnight or a few hours, it almost always will start and run normal, for a time at least (until the gauges go dead). Its like something gets warmed up and then either corrupts the network and causes all these issues.

Once weather here allows, I’m going to take out the rear sail panels and see if anything is messed up with the rear defroster (defroster not working was concurrent with all these other problems). Also going to get the car up on jackstands and check any grounds or wiring on the starter/etc. But like I said, this car has no corrosion like a normal Michigan car (actually this car was originally from Phoenix till I bought it in 2010). I attached a picture when it was giving me cryptic symbols and then an all normal running picture after an overnight battery disconnect/reconnect.

Anyone have any recommendations/comments on this cars behavior? Sorry for the length, but I have never had this extensive of strange car problems before. And I have a 95 Grand Marquis and a 98 Mark VIII also that I’ve had issues with, but never like this LS.

Appreciate any help! Thanks

View attachment 828577106

View attachment 828577107
Known issues with the ignition module it was recalled on 2004 through 2006. Before you can diagnose anything you must change that out first hope that helps

Known issues with the ignition module it was recalled on 2004 through 2006. Before you can diagnose anything you must change that out first hope that helps
This is an LS. There is no ignition module!
What car are you talking about?

Mine is also an LS 2005 with V8 3.9 and when I got my inspection done this year it popped up with ignition switch and related module recall. I had to change out that switch when I first got the car 2 years ago. I'm just trying to help I'm sorry if you don't agree have a good day

Mine is also an LS 2005 with V8 3.9 and when I got my inspection done this year it popped up with ignition switch and related module recall. I had to change out that switch when I first got the car 2 years ago. I'm just trying to help I'm sorry if you don't agree have a good day
Ignition switch and ignition module would be two very different things. I suspect you are talking about the ignition switch and the PATS transceiver module - again, very different.
His failures do not seem to be likely to be related to either one.
Also, your line "it was recalled on 2004 through 2006" is demonstrably false. There are/were zero recalls for the 2006 LS. There was one recall for the 2005. It was for a leaking fuel tank. There were zero recalls for the 2004 Lincoln LS. (By the way, I had a 2004 and a 2006 LS for many years and over 200K miles each.)
Please try to be factual, especially when making extraordinary claims.

Last edited:
Well considering I'm a parts man for a Ford dealership. I'll just take that rude remark in stride you're somebody that works from home that likes to hear himself talk. Why don't you get a real job in a real world. You're worse than dealing with the eBay community it's your statement that is totally false. These people don't want to hear other suggestions other than yours get lost

Please provide evidence of any such recall. You can't, so I guess case closed.
You might also want to do a little more research on me and my job, what I do, and where I work, as that was all incorrect too.
I guess making up stuff is your first resort, which isn't surprising.

Well considering I'm a parts man for a Ford dealership. I'll just take that rude remark in stride you're somebody that works from home that likes to hear himself talk. Why don't you get a real job in a real world. You're worse than dealing with the eBay community it's your statement that is totally false. These people don't want to hear other suggestions other than yours get lost

First of all... as a certified Tech for a long number of years... I've dealt with various parts idiots that don't know crap about the cars they look up parts for!!!

Second... you are arguing with the most knowledgeable person on this forum, about the Lincoln LS.

I think you are confused about another Lincoln vehicle that actually has an ignition module... unless you mean PCM.

New member... 5 posts. Wow!!! Go back where you came from... and take your snarky attitude with you.

Only thing I can think of that is remotely close to what you are talking about... is the ignition COILS... not module.

And it wasn't a recall. It was a TSB due to premature failure of the ignition coils... because of bad epoxy that sealed them.

Please provide evidence of any such recall. You can't, so I guess case closed.
You might also want to do a little more research on me and my job, what I do, and where I work, as that was all incorrect too.
I guess making up stuff is your first resort, which isn't surprising.
I don't have to defend myself against someone that the last 20 years been hanging out in a forum so I did mean it when I said get a life get a job. I don't care if you're scrub brush for your Democratic president. Clearly you are just like the president arrogant stupid and nasty and unintelligent. Formby damn but I'm going to tell what I know you don't like it get lost

arrogant stupid and nasty and unintelligent.

The only one I see here in this thread acting that way... is YOU.

Huh... go figure.

And by the way... the original poster of this thread fixed the problem before you got mouthy... and it wasn't the ignition module.

Last edited:
I don't have to defend myself against someone that the last 20 years been hanging out in a forum so I did mean it when I said get a life get a job. I don't care if you're scrub brush for your Democratic president. Clearly you are just like the president arrogant stupid and nasty and unintelligent. Formby damn but I'm going to tell what I know you don't like it get lost
Personal attacks. Way to go. I think you are making my point for me.
Fortunately, I don't know you, so I can't make any personal comments on you, unless you are really jrand returned.

Incredible ignorance for a Ford parts guy!! And we wonder why it's a cluster trying to get parts for our LS's?? You don't even know what your talking about. So embarrassing too that you don't know what the recalls for the LS are either?

Please listen to a REAL expert! His name is Joegr and he is helping you right now. You just won't listen!

I can tell you from experience that Joe is correct 99.9 precent of the time on this forum, and Ford parts guys I've spoken to in my life are about 30 percent accurate. You're gonna lose this one, guaranteed, lol

In all fairness... I have to give kudos to the parts guys at my local dealer.

I've only had a couple issues with parts mistakes... and that was more on Ford corporate not getting the proper info to the dealership... and that was due to a mid year revision change. (non LS related).

Sometimes dealing with the "new guys" can be frustrating... but they gotta learn somehow.

In all fairness... I have to give kudos to the parts guys at my local dealer.

I've only had a couple issues with parts mistakes... and that was more on Ford corporate not getting the proper info to the dealership... and that was due to a mid year revision change. (non LS related).

Sometimes dealing with the "new guys" can be frustrating... but they gotta learn somehow.
Yea I've found some good ones here and there also for sure, but overall traveling around the country and visiting multiple dealerships for simple little things my experiences have been i usually know more than they do, lol! Granted they need know about multiple vehicles whereas i only need to know about the ones i own, but still, ha

Members online

No members online now.
Back