2006 Back Window Tint

DKGator

LVC Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a local shop about getting my side glass tinted and informed him that the back window is already done. His retort was it might not pass inspection and he would have to re-do it. It looks like it came from the factory that way. I bought this from a dealership (pre-owned) and my question is can anyone tell me if Lincoln offered the back window dark from the factory? I cannot see anyhting that shows it to be after-market work. thanks.

i'm pretty sure they didnt offer back window tint but im sure i'll be corrected if im wrong

I have a 2006 Lincoln LS sales brouchure from a showroom and a rear-tinted window is not an option from the factory.
Anyway-
What kind of inspection do you mean? As far as I know the only windows that are a factor legally in any state are the front driver, front passenger and windshield. The rest can be black as can be.

Factory window tint is in between the glass. You cannot scratch or damage it and it can be tinted over.

Honestly though for uniformity I would get the back re-done so all the tint matches.

I have a 2006 Lincoln LS sales brouchure from a showroom and a rear-tinted window is not an option from the factory.
Anyway-
What kind of inspection do you mean? As far as I know the only windows that are a factor legally in any state are the front driver, front passenger and windshield. The rest can be black as can be.

Factory window tint is in between the glass. You cannot scratch or damage it and it can be tinted over.

Honestly though for uniformity I would get the back re-done so all the tint matches.

DMV inspection (NC). I will look a little more in depth at it tonight. The idea of re-doing the back to make it all match was the installers recommendation as well. Thanks for the input.

Anyway-

normally i dont like to correct people about what they say, cause normally idk wtf im talking about, but seeing as how i used to tint windows for a living, allow me to shine to light on the subject.

As far as I know the only windows that are a factor legally in any state are the front driver, front passenger and windshield. The rest can be black as can be.

-Normally, emphasis on normally, normally, the factory will not tint the front windows nor the windshield because of diversity of each individual drivers vision. All your major car manufacturers who do tint the factory windows are normally done at 20% on the back windows only, very seldom will they tint the front doors.

No, factory tint IS NOT between the glass. that would imply that factory tinted windows are double-paned. Factory tint is not ACTUAL tint. Its actually a piece of glass that has been smoked to fit/meet the desired specifications set forth by the dealership. Yes, you can scratch the glass and damage it just like a normal un-smoked piece of glass, but the scratches / marks wont be AS visible.

You said that you live in NC? i believe that in the state of NC there are two different types of setups for window tint, depending on what type of tint you intend on having installed.

1.) For Non-Reflective tint (non-metallic tint) it is 35% all the way around w/ a "Strip" across the windshield that doesn't drop past the AS-1 line (normally about 6'' from top of windshield). Meaning that you can only tint the front doors, back doors, and back glass with 35% tint. Anything darker, would be illegal.
2.) For Reflective tint (metallic tint) it is 20% on the Front and Back Windows, with the exception of the back glass which is to remain at 35%.

If you need some sort of printout to take to the guy that quoted you, you cant print one from here

Hope it helped
-Smitty

Smitty I stand corrected-

My comment about the whole legal factor was pertaining to him passing an inspection. Since the guy who was tinting the windows said if he tinted over the backglass there would be an issue with passing inspection, I was saying that theoretically the only windows that would be an issue would be (aftermarket) front two and windshield. Since many SUV, vans etc come with the rears done. I didn't mean to imply cars came with the fronts and windshield windows done from the factory.

Also I was always told that factory tint was two pieces of glass with tint within so I am glad you clarified.

Although I did know that you could scratch glass, I was meaning if the tint was between the glass (like I had thought) then theorectically you could not scratch the tint in the way you can scratch regular topical tint-

It's all good man I don't want to give out incorrect info!

its cool dude. didnt mean to come off sounding like a dick about it. i misunderstood the way you meant when you said "inspection", so maybe it was just a clarifying issue on both sides. ALL good dude.

see....now this is what lvc is all about....people with the knowledge and understanding of real life situations giving other people with the same amount of intelligence infromation....

Members online

No members online now.
Back