2005 V6 leaks - just coolant?

ElLobo

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I've got some coolant leaks in my 2005 LS V6. Not sure if the systems are very different, but most of the coolant threads I've read here focus on the V8.

The car overheated a while back, and the coolant pretty much drained itself in the street. This happened shortly after a rear end collision that put a lot of force onto the passenger side exhaust pipe, not sure if that is related. I replaced the thermostat and used a leave-in stop-leak as a temporary solution to keep it running. I don't want to put much money into the car, as it's not my daily driver. It runs fine now, but the coolant leaks seem to be increasing based on the level in the degas.

3 leaks that I can see:

1) Leak below intake manifold that puddles (on lower manifold?) when not in use, and then burns off. I thought this was oil before, but given the coolant issues I'm thinking maybe it's just more coolant. I'll try to attach pictures of this one.

2) Leak dripping from exhaust

This is much slower now, but was pretty bad before the stop-leak. There was an O-ring mentioned in another thread that could be the problem here. If so, where is it on a V6 and what part(s) do I need to replace?

3) Recently an occasional small straight line of coolant can be seen below the driver's side firewall. About 8 inches long, seems to be directly below the degas bottle. Not sure if this is from the bottle itself or a hose, etc.

Any thoughts on how to fix this, preferably without replacing the entire cooling system? I'm hoping to get some insight before tearing the thing apart and chasing my tail.

20180305_121011.jpg

20180305_120912.jpg

IMT gaskets. It drips oil onto exhaust manifold. Cheap fix but I believe you have to take off the cowl and strut brace. Might be valve cover gasket as well. There are 2 screws on the black round plastic piece that hold it in to the intake manifold.

99% degas bottle is shot. Its like 150 new and you can only use Motorcraft.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks! That's just the sort of cheap repair I'm still willing to do on this car. Once I get the cowl and brace off, I will be pretty tempted to get to work on the cooling system. Looks like this $5 repair will turn into $500.

Any thoughts on the coolant leaking from the back of the car?

There is no coolant remotely near the rear end of the car. Probably exhaust condensation. When you put the cowl back on make sure it seals to the windshield or youll have water dripping on top of the engine. Also there is like a $2 round foam gasket around the wiper hole beneath the cowl. Once you pull it off youll need a new one. I just used silicone. Good time to do spark plugs/coils to if you havent. If theres oil in then youll need valve cover gaskets. So yea all in all could be $500 if labor is all you.

There is no coolant remotely near the rear end of the car. Probably exhaust condensation. When you put the cowl back on make sure it seals to the windshield or youll have water dripping on top of the engine. Also there is like a $2 round foam gasket around the wiper hole beneath the cowl. Once you pull it off youll need a new one. I just used silicone. Good time to do spark plugs/coils to if you havent. If theres oil in then youll need valve cover gaskets. So yea all in all could be $500 if labor is all you.

Well, I know there's not SUPPOSED to be coolant toward the back of the car...

Thanks for the tips. I've done the plugs a couple times on this car. Wish I knew about the IMT then. Don't think I even looked at the back of the manifold, just moved it over.

Members online

Back