2005 V-6 AC Problem

1jerodjones

LVC Member
Reaction score
I took my 2005 LS in to have the AC checked. The computer diagnostic said everything was fine. So he filled up the freon. He said it was totally out of freon before he filled it. My paper says Pressure switch on compressor is keeping compressor from engaging. He gave me a quote for a new compressor and A/C Receiver Drier and possibly an expansion valve $600 more maybe. Do I just need a pressure switch? Or to reset something maybe? My AC's self diagnose doesn't have a code except for the one we ignore. What maybe the problem? You guys have always been real helpful to me thanks.

well if it was totally out, then you have a leak that needs to be repaired at the minimum. beyond that, you would need some testing to know what the problem is.

also if the leak was that bad there is a good chance before all of the refrigerant leaked out, all of the oil leaked out first. then if it was ran without oil in it, that would have been bad.... like in the same way that running the engine with out oil is bad. your entire system may need to be replaced.

$600 would be really cheap for all that stuff. Where was this at? Bet he doesn't know the dash has to come out to change the expansion valve. Anyway, you need to stay away from any place that would put refrigerant in an empty system without evacuating and verifying it would hold vacuum first.

BTW, Freon is the brand name for R-12. Your LS uses R-134a (brand name Suva). Refrigerant is the generic term.

Whatever you find, you will at least need a new receiver/dryer.

I had emptied the R-134a out of the system last year pretty stupid huh? But those little do it yourself bottles didn't have enough pressure to fill it up so I took it in this year to have them add it. So when I had emptied the AC the car told the compressor not to run? The quote was for $800 plus maybe $600 more.

There is a low pressure lock out because the compressor would be destroyed if it tried to run without refrigerant or oil.
You can't open the system and refill without pulling a hard vacuum on it to boil the water out. It is also very strongly recommended that you replace the receiver/dryer.

Will the receiver/dryer get it to work? I have an 2002 and when I spin the clutch on the front by the pully it has more resistance while turning than the 2005 does.

Last edited:
For reference, last week my compressor was 340 off rock auto (Motorcraft new), dryer 16 bucks, labor 195. Didnt need the expansion since mine was leaking but working. His base price isnt bad, but I would insist on Motorcraft new he may try to put a rebuilt in to maximize profit.

Members online

No members online now.
Back