2005 LS Suspension Squeak When Leaving the Car

Eurythmian

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I've replaced the rear control bars and had the car aligned which was greatly needed. But I still have a loud squeak when I get out of the car and the suspension raises. It sounds like it is coming from the rear center area.

Any ideas?

Best way would be to put it on ramps and have someone bounce the car while you are under it to find the noise. A tip to find the noise would be looking for moving parts and putting ur hand in places you think the noise is coming from and sometimes can "feel" the noise in your hand. Gl

Best way would be to put it on ramps and have someone bounce the car while you are under it to find the noise. A tip to find the noise would be looking for moving parts and putting ur hand in places you think the noise is coming from and sometimes can "feel" the noise in your hand. Gl

Thank you... I will let you know what I figure out.

I've replaced the rear control bars and had the car aligned which was greatly needed. But I still have a loud squeak when I get out of the car and the suspension raises. It sounds like it is coming from the rear center area.

Any ideas?

When you say "control bars," do you mean control arms? Or stabilizer bar? Or stabilizer bar links? Or toe links? If you're referring to control arms, did they replace all 4 in the rear (upper and lower)?

Control arm bushings are usually a good suspect for up-and-down squeaking. If you've had all the control arms replaced with new and you're still getting up-and-down squeaking, I'd suspect the stabilizer bar bushings.

Any ideas?

I noticed that mine (2004 V8 Sport) started doing the same thing late last week. Not sure it it is just the bitter cold or if something really needs replaced. If I push down on the each side of the back end, it only seems that the driver's side is making the noise - at least right now.

When you say "control bars," do you mean control arms? Or stabilizer bar? Or stabilizer bar links? Or toe links? If you're referring to control arms, did they replace all 4 in the rear (upper and lower)?

Control arm bushings are usually a good suspect for up-and-down squeaking. If you've had all the control arms replaced with new and you're still getting up-and-down squeaking, I'd suspect the stabilizer bar bushings.

Sorry, I'm not that up on auto repair - I can to somethings myself and I learn as I go. I purchased a kit of 4 bars and I believe they were called links. Two each side. One is horizontal and one is more vertical. I changed them myself and then had an alignment done. Before the repair the rear of the car felt like it swayed from side to side slightly. A good description is... It felt like driving on a very windy day. Not the in the front but just the rear would giggle side to side when driving on the highway. After the repair and alignment, this movement is gone.

So I'm guessing it's Control Arm Bushings. Can these be replaced easily or is this a major deal? I'm guessing the car needs to be up on a lift.

Thanks again for your help.

Too many cheeseburgers?

Control arm bushings are usually a good suspect for up-and-down squeaking ...

Usually a slight clicking to clunking noise when traveling slowly over uneven road surfaces would more clearly indicate done-for rear Control Arms.

Myself, I'd back that up on ramps or jack it up and crawl under it and inject spray the rear sway bar bushings, while there taking note of all suspension related hardware and boots. Thereafter: OPEN WALLET.

I backed up on ramps and got under there - sprayed the rear bushings for te control arms. No more squeak.

GOOD job......as long as what you sprayed doesn't eat neoprene or whatever they're made of. Hope not. don-ohio :)^)

I have the same issue, it was driving me nuts. Put it on a lift and realized my rear spring on the drivers side had sheared in half at the base, very close to the bottom. Had a few mechanics refuse to replace it. Still waiting.

Whoa! Hadn't thought of that! COULD be,but the squeak went away when he sprayed it. A spring that breaks usually has a pop sound,at least the coils I've seen break,but they were on the fronts of vehicles. don-ohio :)^)

I have the same issue, it was driving me nuts. Put it on a lift and realized my rear spring on the drivers side had sheared in half at the base, very close to the bottom. Had a few mechanics refuse to replace it. Still waiting.

I had the same issue several years ago with the wife's Grand Am - both front springs were broke. How they did not side over and puncture the tire sidewall I will never know. I just replaced the strut and springs with KYB Excel Strut-Plus assemblies. Quick and easy all in one repair. Not sure that is an option or recommended brand for replacement on the LS.

GOOD job......as long as what you sprayed doesn't eat neoprene or whatever they're made of. Hope not. don-ohio :)^)

There are some products designed to help with older rubber bushings like Max Professional 2145 Rubber Rejuvenator or a non slick dry film lubricant.

Seriously, mechanics are refusing to replace rear springs on a Grand Am? I looked at a few pics and it looks like all you need is a spring compressor and a jack to replace them. You could do it yourself in about an hour or two. When you take the weight off the rears, you take most of the pressure off the springs. Use the compressor to take the rest of the pressure off the car, move them out, then take the compressor off the old spring. Put the same pressure on the new ones, install is the reverse of the removal. Put new springs and new spring pads in, and replace them as a pair. You can't replace just one, you have to replace them as a pair, front or rear.

Almost for sure it's the lower control arm bushings. You can buy aftermarket bushing kits, but I wouldn't recommend it. Been there done that didn't like it. Buy a new lower control arm and install it. No more squeaks

Seriously, mechanics are refusing to replace rear springs on a Grand Am?

honestly, any mechanic that refuses to do that work needs to be replaced... its a simple job that requires simple tools and just being careful not to do something stupid.

Members online

Back