2005 Lincoln LSE V8 Headlamps not working...

Marcus101

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My 2005 Lincoln LSE V8's headlamps aren't working at all. The fog lights work and so do the blinkers. I haven't checked the fuses yet and I don't think the bulbs are bad because they were replaced 2 years ago.

The fuse box is located in a hard to reach spot and what tool would I need to use to safely remove the fuses without damaging them?

Thanks!

Now the 'check charging system' indicator comes up and the car has no power steering but everything else works. I changed the battery and still no change...what could the problem be? The alternator?

It may be the alternator. Easy way is to check with a volt meter. Check voltage at battery with key off. A good battery will show roughly 12.6 volts, (2.1 volts per cell). If battery voltage is good... start vehicle with all accesories turned off. If alternator is functioning properly... the volt meter should show around 14.1 volts, (1.5 volts over battery voltage).

Low voltage reading on battery could point to battery issue. Low voltage reading with engine running could point to alternator issue.

Sometimes a bad battery can cause goofy electrical issues,,, including playing mind games with the alternator.

You havn't said how old the battery is in your LS. Look for a round sticker on the side or back of the battery. It will be a "date code" for when the battery was made.

It will look something like this:

battery date code.JPG

Do note that the FEM controls the power steering boost and the headlights.
Also note that the same belt that drives the alternator drives the power steering (and AC and water pump).
I would say that all three LS fuse boxes are easy to get to. The headlight fuses are in the under hood fuse box, arguably the easiest one to get to. Pliers will work fine on those fuses, but there should be a plastic tool in the box for fuse removal. I doubt it will be the fuses, at least three would have to be blown to lose all headlights.

Just bought a brand new battery and alternator was replaced two years ago. High beams work only the low beams don't. Check charging system error was due to a bad serpentine belt my mechanic installed. (Had to install proper one myself) and the error is now gone.

Do note that the FEM controls the power steering boost and the headlights.
Also note that the same belt that drives the alternator drives the power steering (and AC and water pump).
I would say that all three LS fuse boxes are easy to get to. The headlight fuses are in the under hood fuse box, arguably the easiest one to get to. Pliers will work fine on those fuses, but there should be a plastic tool in the box for fuse removal. I doubt it will be the fuses, at least three would have to be blown to lose all headlights.
Wow so I checked my front fuse box under hood and the relay for the headlamps is missing...Lol. Where can i buy them?

Wow so I checked my front fuse box under hood and the relay for the headlamps is missing...Lol. Where can i buy them?

There is no headlight relay on LSes without HIDs. Transistors in the FEM switch ground on and off to the low beams. There is a fog light relay. Is that what you are missing? If so, this will not be why your headlights aren't working. Note that there is also a position for a relay for low-beam HIDs. It will be empty if you don't have HIDs, which I am assuming that you don't.

If you set your headlight switch to auto and turn the key on when it is dark, do the parking lights come on? Can you pull the turn lever all the way back and release it and then have your high beams stay on (light switch on or auto and dark)?

Go easy on him Joe, he's probably still RRRoll'in Up his Rim to Win. :mad:

rim.jpg

There is no headlight relay on LSes without HIDs. Transistors in the FEM switch ground on and off to the low beams. There is a fog light relay. Is that what you are missing? If so, this will not be why your headlights aren't working. Note that there is also a position for a relay for low-beam HIDs. It will be empty if you don't have HIDs, which I am assuming that you don't.

If you set your headlight switch to auto and turn the key on when it is dark, do the parking lights come on? Can you pull the turn lever all the way back and release it and then have your high beams stay on (light switch on or auto and dark)?
Ah I see, the fog lights work. The parking lights come on and the high beams stay on when I switch them on.

I bought H11 low beam lights (slyvannia elites) but unfortunately I don't have a screwdriver with the proper bolt bit to remove the headlight housing. I'll borrow one and check to see if the bulbs are blown later. I don't want to open the new bulbs if the old ones aren't blown. Btw all other electronics in the car are in working order after replacing the serpentine belt.

So they randomly decided to work now. I'm gonna change the bulbs regardless to be safe though. Thanks and I just bought this car from my brother so I'm new to the ins and outs of it lol.

Members online

Back