2005 hids on a 2002 (quick how to)

2k2ls

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
ok ill try to make this quick and painless...

the body shop I "wanted" to do this conversion said it was going to be $300-$500 because they had to remove the bumper and it was a "tight fit in there". This little how to is how I did it to get good results and save some money. No bumper removal, no crazy wiring nightmare no b.s. I hope this helps any one who intends to do this conversion however, It is only a guide.

1. start by removing the plasic covers by the latch and the radiatiator support.

2. remove old headlights (1st pic)

3. pop out bumber lights

4. remove hood latch (2nd pic)

5. move the wire harness for some clearence (3rd pic)

6. now remove the headlight brace. theres 2 bolts on each side. the top one is visible the bottom one you can reach through the hole where the bumper light was (4thpic). also loosen up the 2 top bolts towards the middle. Now a quick way to get the old brace out was the old dremel. I cut it in 3 and then bent back the tabs (5th pic) and out she came.

7. now for the new brace. first a few cuts have to be made. the slots on the new brace dont match on the bumper so snip the tabs as necessary. ( I set the brace on the bumper so I could mark all my cuts) (6th pic).

8. part of the wire harness will get snagged up so you have to free up some slack. remove the bolt on the plastic tab going over the rad support (7th pic) also the harness has a little plastic L bracket. carefully remove that from the harness to free up a little more slack. (8th pic)

9. pictures 9 & 10 show the 2 pieces I had to cut off the bracket to get it to slide in.

10. this is the step where you need to be patient. GENTLY work the brace in place. this might take a few tries.

11. after its in place and you said every curse you know its time to bolt it in. Make sure the harness on the pass. side has enough slack otherwise the brace wont sit down all the way and you risk cracking it!!! Then begin with the outer bolts. When you get to the center brackets press them back down flush against the brace. I wouldnt use the tightening of the bolt to press it down again you dont want to chance it cracking!!!

12. The new brace wont have the holes in the right spot for the tabs on the harness. a simple dremel tool fixes that right up.

13. wire up the lights. Now I must admit my boy dave wired it up pretty quick and as you can see (11th pic) he used the original harness from the old headlights and with the dremel put a slot where the stock harness plug in. This way we get to use the cars harness and not risk damaging anything. Im not sure what colors go to what he did it pretty quick. I recommend taking it to an alarm/ audio shop those guys are usually cool enought to help someone out for decent fees If your in the long island area the number to his shop is 631-666-9560.

14. thats pretty much it start putting your car back together and try not to leave spare parts. remember this is a quick how to there will be a few minor things here and there that will vary by person or car. Also keep in mind this was the way that was easiest for me to get this done. All together it took a few hours of my day but it wasnt all that bad. If you decide to go at it yourself and need help feel free to drop an email hope this helped...

06-Photo 6.jpg

08-Photo 8.jpg

09-Photo 9.jpg

07-Photo 7.jpg

11-Photo 11.jpg

14-Photo 14.jpg

15-Photo 15.jpg

16-Photo 16.jpg

17-Photo 17.jpg

13-Photo 13.jpg

19-Photo 19.jpg

How about some pics with the lights in the car?

Also, I like your friends idea of using the factory wiring harness from the 2000-2002 LS.

ok, i see the pics... now im at work with cable internet. must of been my dial up at home that wasnt loading the pictures on this thread... :) ooopsie!

thanks 2k2! wheres the pics of the final product. i want to see what they look like (with the lights off) & see the difference. if you take a pics wiht the lights on, it never turns out right.

As for the wiring inside the headlight, here's how the colors match up.

Orange: Low beam HID(+)
Purple: High beam(+)
Red: Parking light LEDs(+)
each color also has a corresponding black wire(-).

I bypassed the plug in the back of the '03 headlight altogether and just wired directly to the high and low beam wires from my car. I'll put up some pictures later if I have some time.

I've got a spare set of 2003 headlights and my new HID headlights came today. I was looking at the harness inside the regular 03 headlights and pulled it out. I think this would be the easiest way to wire up the HID headlights. I won't have to re-make the main power connector. I'll only have to re-wire the low/HID beam, high beam and side marker connectors. This will be to an existing pre-03 headlight wiring harness. This way all internal connections of the HID headlight can stay the same. Below is the internal wiring harness that is inside the 2003 and up headlights:

pics%20010.jpg

Here's a picture of the 2003 and up headlight wiring harness set up. Note that the harness is made into the the big harness. The pre-03 headlights had a separate harness. Note the connectors for the 03 and up headlights as well:

pics%20004.jpg

pics%20006.jpg

If anyone cares the complete front wiring harness with all the connectors is $500. I'll have the exact part number tomorrow. I guess splicing wires will be much cheaper!!

holy crap $500!!! your gonna have to sell the hids to buy the harness :N

2k2ls said:
holy crap $500!!! your gonna have to sell the hids to buy the harness :N
The harness comes in 12 different sections. I won't be buying the harness that's for sure! I'm electrically inclined so I'll splice and solder!

2k2ls said:
I got mine for $300.00 new on ebay
I got mine from the same person you bought from. However, when i got mine one of the mount tabs on the top was broken. It even had a hole in it and the lens was scratched up. I emailed him a picture of it and he is replacing it with a new one. He's pretty much customer service oriented at this point so we'll see.

hes a good guy. he'll do right by you. I enjoyed doing business with him. and for the price, you could bet i left good feedback.

anyone know if these will fit a 2004 without all the mods and the extra wiring?
ZB

zeebee said:
anyone know if these will fit a 2004 without all the mods and the extra wiring?
ZB
Yes. They are a direct swap for the 2003 to 2005 LS. However, one thing I did notice when I put mine into a 2003 LS the plug on the headlight had a prong in a different position. However, I just cut that prong off and it worked great.

I have been making the modification to the 2005 LSE front bumper cover and the HID light setup. However since I am not electrically inclined I need some assistance with the wiring hookup. I saw that 2k2ls had a friend of his do the wiring so that it will hook up right into the existing 2000 LS wiring harness. Nice work! The pic posted shows the project completed on the back of the HID light lens all wired up and taped up.Can anyone post some pics and a instructional on how to wire the 2005 HID setup with all the splicing BEFORE it is all taped up. Also I need to know how one would wire the fog lamp setup so that it will continue to operate just by themselves and with the low beams (HID).

GrayGhost1 said:
Yes. They are a direct swap for the 2003 to 2005 LS. However, one thing I did notice when I put mine into a 2003 LS the plug on the headlight had a prong in a different position. However, I just cut that prong off and it worked great.

Ken;

It seems like you are the one to always provide good "how to do" instructions in other various projects. Can you please provide some actual pictures of the wire connections when you make the modification from the HID to your 2002 LS wiring harness. The pic posted on this thread shows a nice pic of the finished project but doesnot provide a visual for us members who are not as electrically inclined as yourself and some others. By the kit you sold me looks great on my car. Dont forget about me in regards to the CDC mesh grill that came along with the rest of the CDC kit you sold me.

Aviatorguy said:
Ken;

It seems like you are the one to always provide good "how to do" instructions in other various projects. Can you please provide some actual pictures of the wire connections when you make the modification from the HID to your 2002 LS wiring harness. The pic posted on this thread shows a nice pic of the finished project but doesnot provide a visual for us members who are not as electrically inclined as yourself and some others. By the kit you sold me looks great on my car. Dont forget about me in regards to the CDC mesh grill that came along with the rest of the CDC kit you sold me.
I plan to do a How To when I install my HID's. I don't know exactly when I'll install them yet but I already have an idea how I want to do it.

As for the CDC grilles, I'll let you know when they come in!

Question is (sorry if been asked or noted) --- will the 03-05 LS HID light fit the 2000 year model, or is there a need for bracket mod, or similar?

Bud Nixon said:
Question is (sorry if been asked or noted) --- will the 03-05 LS HID light fit the 2000 year model, or is there a need for bracket mod, or similar?

You have too buy the reinforcement bar that goes in the front underneath your existing headlights. The bar for the 03-05 HID has a deeper cut in which the lights sit because the ballast on the HID units is located underneath. Then the problem is connecting them to your existing wiring harness. Some guys have done that here and have explained the process but if you are not electically inclined their explaination can be hard to follow. You can however buy the whole wiring harness from a 03-05 LS and hook up your lights that way but my understanding is that harness is pretty pricey. I am in the process of doing that myself but am seeking some assistance in making the connection with my existing wiring harness. I know that their is some splicing to do and you connect certain wires. I probabley will go to some local electrical shop to get that help since it seems I am not going to find it here anytime soon.

Aviatorguy said:
You have too buy the reinforcement bar that goes in the front underneath your existing headlights. The bar for the 03-05 HID has a deeper cut in which the lights sit because the ballast on the HID units is located underneath. Then the problem is connecting them to your existing wiring harness. Some guys have done that here and have explained the process but if you are not electically inclined their explaination can be hard to follow. You can however buy the whole wiring harness from a 03-05 LS and hook up your lights that way but my understanding is that harness is pretty pricey. I am in the process of doing that myself but am seeking some assistance in making the connection with my existing wiring harness. I know that their is some splicing to do and you connect certain wires. I probabley will go to some local electrical shop to get that help since it seems I am not going to find it here anytime soon.

Good Luck, let me know how it goes.

Thing is that I am, or consider myself electrically inclined to do such a thing, have installed an Alarm/Auto start with a bipass module, along with a trunk popper for the remote trunk open option that I did with my alarm for my 2001 Ganant GTZ that i've owned previous to this car.

Anyhow, my concern isnt in electrical but in actual LIGHT mounting! As far as mount brackets, how different are the headlights in the 2000 to 2005 year... :)

HID Connectors

I have completed my modification of the '05' LSE bumper cover on my '00' LS but I need some help in making the connections. I want to keep my existing harness so has anyone spliced the wires on their exisitng harness and connected them to the HID's. Please post some pics. with the spliced areas untaped. I need to know what colors connect from the exernal harness to the harness located inside the HID headlamp units. Also since I installed the '05' LSE bumper and the foglights now my existing connectors on my wiring harness will not connect to the new round foglamps. You can email me at chrsrodriquez@aol.com with the information. Thanks guys

ambisonics said:
As for the wiring inside the headlight, here's how the colors match up.

Orange: Low beam HID(+)
Purple: High beam(+)
Red: Parking light LEDs(+)
each color also has a corresponding black wire(-).

I bypassed the plug in the back of the '03 headlight altogether and just wired directly to the high and low beam wires from my car. I'll put up some pictures later if I have some time.

Did u take the connector off? I took the 4 screws off but it only comes out about .100". I don't want to crack it.

Members online

Back