2004 LS shock option

myfirstls

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Aloha guys. It's been a while since my last post. However, I always visit the site almost everyday to see what can I learn from everyone's post.

Anyway, it's been over two years since I own our beloved LS, which I think it's not a bad car. Maybe I'm just lucky. OK. Enough sideline talk.

I replaced my both front shock when I got the car as the front was badly worn and got myself KYB Gr-2 shocks. Didn't know better at that time. For most part, it was OK shock, but now they're worn and planning to replace it again, but with different shock, if possible. I don't/can't go to coil-over like Stance as I won't be able to pass safety inspection here in the states (they take picture of the car after certification) unless I go through what we call reconstruction vehicle certification. Too much time, money and paperwork in my opinion.

So, what choices do I have? I been looking at sach's for a while, but wanted to hear what you guys run. Also, what are our choices for the rear? If I have a choice, I like firm ride more than soft ones.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I just went through this process with my 05 ultimate at 62K miles. i researched everything i could find on this forum and elsewhere and decided to do the 2002 S-type springs, new LS MOOG upper mounts, Bilstein B6 shocks. Removed the factory spring/shock assemblies, used the car to compress/install the new springs/shocks. Ride height has remained unchanged, the car handles much nicer and more to my liking. Yes it is firm but that is my preference in ride quality.

Thanks for your reply/input rlmoulic. Yeah, I thought about that too, but I don't want to spend too much on this car. Looking to have few more years due to corrosion on hood and trunk. Yeah, that dreaded Aluminum on steel corrosion are eating up my hood (getting pretty bad) and my trunk (started on top at two different places). Thought of getting the glass hood, but shipping just kill a good deal.

Anyway, been looking around and anyway I go, looks to be pretty kinda expensive, so I may go with what you have recommended. But for now, that Sach's started to look real good.

In my experience, KYB shocks are good shocks. I was thinking about buying them for the LS.
Why are you unhappy with them? You said they were good for the most part. Did they wear out too soon? Or?

In my experience, KYB shocks are good shocks. I was thinking about buying them for the LS.
Why are you unhappy with them? You said they were good for the most part. Did they wear out too soon? Or?

I think you're talking about their Gas-a-just shock, the blue one. I had those on other cars that I owned, but not available for our LS. Gr-2 are not bad, but it's wearing out after two years, and it's little on the softer side for my taste.

When I bought the car, Ford still had some sport shocks available, but I didn't know any better at that time that parts are hard to come by for this car. Instead of paying little over $100/shock, I opted for the cheaper ones which I regret at this time.................

I was talking about their shocks in general. I used to work in an auto parts store and KYB had a good reputation amongs employees, customers (those who knew about them), and mechanics. Not saying they’re the best in all cases, just that they are, in general, a good shock.

I will admit that if they only lasted two years in your car, they probably do suck in comparison to motorcrafts.
If motorcrafts are available and not much more, then I’ll buy them. Otherwise, I’ll probably use KYB.

Members online

No members online now.
Back