2004 LS Climate Control Issue - Not DCCV

Aero

LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently bought an '04 V8 Sport that needed some work. I noticed right off the bat that the climate control was really cold at any temperature setting below 85-90. I figured it was a malfunctioning DCCV so I ordered a new Motorcraft piece and put it in. No difference.

I've ran the DATC self-test multiple times and it always comes back with no errors. When the A/C is on the air is very cold when the setting is below 85, having the A/C off makes the air coming through the vents match the outside temperature. Both the passenger and driver side vents blow the same temperature, one is not hotter or colder than the other. That means it is most likely not the temp sensors for the output to the vents. Could this be the caused by the interior temp sensor?

Thanks.

The more common issues are:
1. Air in the cooling system, probably due to tiny cracks in the plastic cooling system parts. Warm the engine up and open the heater bleed. Do you get any air out? Have you had to add coolant?
2. Aux pump.

where is heater bleed??

The more common issues are:
1. Air in the cooling system, probably due to tiny cracks in the plastic cooling system parts. Warm the engine up and open the heater bleed. Do you get any air out? Have you had to add coolant?
2. Aux pump.

joegr, thanks for the help with my DCCV valve ( as I was lurking) . Replacement process went well and super hot air stopped filling the passenger compartment.....but full cooling doesn't happened.....refrigerant was checked, added to 35 psi and was not so low anyway. Where is the heater bleed valve on my 2006 V-8 LS, if I may ask?

And now for an off topic two for one- 2000 Navigator- no start, no nothing, no turn over. Try to jump off with brand new truck battery and engine turns ugh, ugh ..then nothing. When jumping, battery cable to Nav. starter gets hot and smokes!
Battery, Cable, jumper cable problem???????..... Starter problem?????....starter solenoid problem?????
I am close to putting on a $55 new EB electric starter just to remove the quandary! Or should I go with OEM?

joegr, thanks for the help with my DCCV valve ( as I was lurking) . Replacement process went well and super hot air stopped filling the passenger compartment.....but full cooling doesn't happened.....refrigerant was checked, added to 35 psi and was not so low anyway. Where is the heater bleed valve on my 2006 V-8 LS, if I may ask?

This......

...When jumping, battery cable to Nav. starter gets hot and smokes!
Battery, Cable, jumper cable problem???????..... Starter problem?????....starter solenoid problem?????
Most (almost all of them) jumper cables are not up to the task of starting an engine if the battery is bad/dead. They work fine for the case where the battery is just drained, especially if you let the battery charge a minute or two first.
Put a new battery in the navigator.

... Where is the heater bleed valve on my 2006 V-8 LS, if I may ask? ...

s6x~us~en~file=a0004560.gif~gen~ref.gif

s6x~us~en~file=a0004560.gif~gen~ref.gif

To the Edison guy, if you're in Edison, NJ and ever need help let me know... I'm in Woodbridge, NJ.

The coolant level is right where it should be and the system has been bled multiple times. The Aux pump might be getting weak, but even if it is that should not effect heating performance at highway speeds. Plus, like I said, the heater will get hot when set to 90°F.

Are you certain that the previous owner didn't internally block the heater lines some how? It's happened before where someone did that instead of spending the money on a new DCCV.

I have heard of a bad aux pump stopping the heat even at highway speeds.

Like I said, the heater is hot when set to 90°, so coolant flows fine.

Like I said, the heater is hot when set to 90°, so coolant flows fine.

Okay, then perhaps it is the interior temperature sensor. You could connect a good scan tool and see what temperature it thinks it is. With the temperature set to 85 and the seats set to auto, do they heat or do they cool? (all this assumes that the interior temperature is less than 80 degrees)

I just installed a brand new interior temp sensor today and it made no difference. So much for my theory.

My car isn't equipped with the climate controlled seats. It seems like the DATC always thinks the interior is hot, EXCEPT for when the car is first started and is warming up. The heater can be set to 75° and it will respond normally until the car reaches operating temperature, then the air cools down.

Seems to have been the discharge temp sensor for the drivers side. I swapped the sensors from each side and suddenly had heat on the drivers side. This is despite the fact that the passenger side vents were cold before. The system must favor the drivers side reading for adjustments.

... The system must favor the drivers side reading for adjustments.

Yes, it does. The driver's side gets priority, and I believe that the driver's side of the heater core is bigger than the passenger side.

Where is that discharge sensor located? I have a new dccv and the passenger side is not cooling with the a/c on. Thats one problem. The second is that yesterday morning, I turned the heater on and i got no heat on either side. Car was at operating temp. Im thinking it could be related to the aux pump, but now that i know there are sensors inside as well, I want to look into that. The air would not come out hot even after i adjusted the temp from 60 to 90 degrees. Thanks for any help guys.

Hmm. I'll bleed the system and look into testing the aux pump. I hope one of those solves this.

Hmm. I'll bleed the system and look into testing the aux pump. I hope one of those solves this.

If you want to be dead certain that this is a cooling system circulation problem, unplug the electrical connector to the DCCV. That will cause full heat no matter what the climate control is doing (as long as you have airflow out the vents). If you do this and the engine is warmed up and you get no heat, your problem is cooling system related.

Members online

Back