2004 LS a/c problem

JamesHinson

LVC Member
Reaction score
Have 2004 LS, v6.
A/C started blowing out hot air. Not constantly, would blow cold, drive for 30-60 minutes and might start blowing out hot air.

Repair shop replaced DCCV. Seemed to work okay for couple of days and then started same problem again. Went back to shop and they started talking about pull out dash to get to blend doors. I am NOT a mechanic, but had researched enough to know the car does not have blend doors.

Took to Ford/Lincoln dealer. They could not get it to blow out hot air for two days, said they had let it run for over 2 hours. Picked up car and in less than 2 miles, hot air. They say the DATC needs to be replaced, but they can't do because part no longer available.

When hot air blows out it is coming from all vents, though passenger side does not seem as hot as drivers side. Have run diagnostic on datc and do not get any codes.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Did they use a Motorcraft DCCV, or aftermarket?
I tried aftermarket once. I can't remember if it was a week or a month before it started blasting hot air at random. I replaced it with Motorcraft, and it resolved that problem.

If it really is the DATC, you can get a used one on e-bay or maybe from your local junkyard. They don't seem to fail much.

The three temperature sensors are suspect. I've had the evaporator sensor fail on both of my LSes now. The two discharge sensors are the same part. I don't know why they seem to hold out longer. If you set it to 60 degrees and still get hot blasts, that should rule them out.

All that said, I think the DCCV is still the main suspect (even if it is Motorcraft). The other thing is to verify that the connectors are good, one at the DCCV, and the other about six inches above it.

So, turned out it was the dccv. One installed by a garage was not Motorcraft. New one I installed was Motorcraft, installed August 21, been working fine ever since then.

Thanks for assistance.

Members online

No members online now.
Back