2004 Lincoln LS ignition coils

fr4nky

LVC Member
Reaction score
Would anyone know that once you change the ignition coil on a 2004 LS, that it would give the car future issues because of it? Also with someone know what would be the cause for the iginition coils to go bad?

The coils mainly fail due to high voltage breakdown of the epoxy inside the coils. Exposure to water and/or oil can cause problems too.

It's important to change the spark plug at the same time as the coil. It's also very important that the spark plug gap be set to 1.0 mm for the V8. You should replace all coils and plugs at the same time. (Once one has become marginal enough to detect, the rest are nearly there too.)

Not changing the coils and plugs will give you future problems.

There are about a 1000 posts on this, read some of them.

Hey Joe

Thanks for the fast reply. To be honest there is this 2004 with 94k on it that I would love to pick up and the owner told me that the ignition coils was the only major issues. As far as the plugs I don't know if he/she had changed them. I rather the 2006 v8, the rims and the fog lights on that year just makes my jaw drop. Someone with good hand skills and a decent knowledge of car would be able to do the coils and plugs themselves?

Hey Joe

Thanks for the fast reply. To be honest there is this 2004 with 94k on it that I would love to pick up and the owner told me that the ignition coils was the only major issues. As far as the plugs I don't know if he/she had changed them. I rather the 2006 v8, the rims and the fog lights on that year just makes my jaw drop. Someone with good hand skills and a decent knowledge of car would be able to do the coils and plugs themselves?

Yeah if you ever turned a wrench before you can do them yourself. They are a bit of a PITA so set aside a couple of hours the first time...but it's not anything majorly hard.

Someone with good hand skills and a decent knowledge of car would be able to do the coils and plugs themselves?

someone with poor hand skills and very little knowledge of any car could change the coils and plugs themselves...

Thank you, from what the seller told me he changed the ignition coils but not the plugs. Would it be recommend to change everything again or just do the plugs?

When did he change the coils? get the double platinum autolites at autozone, with online coupon you can get them for $2 each. I buy the ebay coils (cheap) never had a problem with them. check for oil in the plug wells from valve cover gasket failure.

Thank you, from what the seller told me he changed the ignition coils but not the plugs. Would it be recommend to change everything again or just do the plugs?

bad coils will ruin great plugs...

bad plugs will ruin great coils...

Members online

No members online now.
Back