2003 Town Car Steering Wheel Shake

crookshanks

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have just had the tires on my 2003 TC rebalanced again trying to correct this problem. Basically when you up to anything past 50 the steering wheel beings to "quiver". It just has a shake from left to right when I take my hand off the wheel. Any idea what else this could be? I have taken it to a different shop to have them rebalanced with the same results.

Thanks!

Try a shop that has a Road Force Balancer. They are worth the money.

May not be a balance issue the shop should check for other possible issue - like a bad tire, worn ball joint, etc.

Go back to the shop and tell them they failed. This time they will put a person on the car who knows what they are doing. They should do this for free unless the problem requires new parts to fix
I never had a car where I could not find the vibration the person just needs to know what they are doing.

Are you telling them why the tires are being balanced ? If not then the job may fall to the inexperienced kid who is just balancing the tires like he was told, same thing applies with an experienced, competent mechanic. Either you're not telling them all they need to know, or you'rer going to the wrong shops. The common factor in the repeat failures is you, the car owner.

Take your post here for example. You have to understand that asking someone to diagnose the cause of steering wheel shake with so little information is very difficult, and over the internet no less.

When did the wheel begin to shake ?

Was there some other coinciding event ?

How old are the tires and how many miles on them ?

Are the tires the factory size and type ?

Steering wheel vibration or wiggle indicates a problem with the components that connect with the steering wheel. Balancing the rear tires won't help you in diagnosing your problem.

As a mechanic, after discussing with you what the problem is, I would drive the car , with you in it ideally, and verify the conditions at which the problem occurs. Then look at the front tires and wheels carefully, looking for signs of curbing, a slipped belt or some other tire failure, then check the tie rod ends, Pitman arm, idler arm and the front suspension parts. If the tires, steering linkage and front end parts all look OK, then swap one front tire with the same side rear tire. Drive the car again. If the shake is gone you know the one tire or wheel now on the rear is the problem. If shake is till there then swap tires on the other side. Drive again. If shake is gone it is that side's tire or wheel. If shake is still there double check the front end of the car. That's your starting point.

Have that done at the right shop, give them all the info, ride with the mechanic and see what they find.

KBX

I took the car to have the wheels road force balanced and that seems to have helped the problem greatly. It still has a slight virbation at 60.

The problem began when the new tires were put on the car. The tires are about 2 months old on the car, Yoko Avid TRZ, same set I had on the last one. They are factory size. I have had the mechanics drive it and they have the same feeling. Most of them recommended the road force balancing and it has solved 95% of the problem. I have had an alignment done as well. They have rotated the tires and that made a slight difference, then I had the road force balancing done.

I will try swapping the tires around again and see if that makes a difference. It could very well be a bad tire. What does tire pressure play into this, if any?

bet you have a warped rotor. check that the lugnuts are at the proper torque. hope that helps.

Had the front brakes done yesterday, fixed the problem. New pads and resurfaced rotors, $120. Thanks

glad it worked for ya. now just watch the wrench monkeys when it comes to proper lugnut torque on yer next tire rotation.

When they have the tires on the balancer have them spin them 180* and rebalance them. How much weight are they putting on the rims to "balance them"?

Members online

No members online now.
Back