2003 Owners - AC Seat Question

04R!

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 V8 with the heated/AC seats. When I turn on the AC in either driver or passenger seat on the highest setting (3) it blows for about 1 minute and then shuts off. If I have it on setting 1 or 2 it runs until I shut it off. I don't think this is normal, and have had the dealer look at it several times with a "NPF" response. I even noticed there is a TSB about the seats (which I pointed out to the dealer), but I am not sure if that is the problem I was having.

So...I was wondering if any other 2003 owners with these seats could do a little test for me and see if they do the same. Again, set the cool to the highest setting (3) and see if the fan shuts down at all. Mine does it within 1 minute everytime.

Thanks in advance for your help.

beaups said:
mine stays on as long as I leave them on.

Yeah...that is what I thought. To bad I can't get anyone at the dealer to figure that out.

Thanks!

Bring this to your dealerships attention.

TSB# 04-18-16

CLIMATE CONTROLLED SEATS TURNING OFF SHORTLY AFTER INITIALIZATION - DTC'S B2729, B2730, B2731

LincolnTech38 said:
Bring this to your dealerships attention.

TSB# 04-18-16

CLIMATE CONTROLLED SEATS TURNING OFF SHORTLY AFTER INITIALIZATION - DTC'S B2729, B2730, B2731

This is a good place to start, even though this TSB is more focused on overheating when the seat HEATERS are operating (I had this issue with my seat heaters and this TSB was applied to fix it). The problem posed relates to COOLING, but this TSB may be applicable nonetheless. I think the first thing they should do is check the codes to determine if that gives a clue to the problem.

Oh, forgot to mention.... my cooled seats stay on until I shut them off or I turn off the ignition. In AUTO, mode, of course, they stay on indefinitely.

guys, all these differenct codes. are they read with a normal code scanner or do you have to plug into all these different systems somehow?? just curious

I have a similar problem with my 03 also, but only on the driver side. i've only tried it on the highest setting so i'll find out if 1 or 2 works.

Mine does this in automatic mode... as it should. Works fine in manual (does not shutoff unless I turn it off).

Same here, no problems with the cooled seats. On high, they run until I turn them down or off.

zellto1971 said:
Mine does this in automatic mode... as it should. Works fine in manual (does not shutoff unless I turn it off).

This ****might**** be your problem...you may have the seats in auto mode and not know it. IIRC there is no visual icon or anything to show you have auto mode engaged.

elhelmete said:
This ****might**** be your problem...you may have the seats in auto mode and not know it. IIRC there is no visual icon or anything to show you have auto mode engaged.
When the climate controlled seat is in auto mode, there's an indicator light on the HVAC display that looks like a seat. There's an indicator to either side of that seat indicator that tells you if the driver, passenger, or both seats are in auto mode.

Also, the middle indicator light above both the heat and cool buttons are lit when in auto mode.

And, no, it shouldn't shut off after a minute.

Automode for seat heat/AC ? how do you use this feature? Are they activated with the AUTO mode for the climate conrol?

It is simple. Just push the heat and cool buttons at the same time and it puts the seats in auto mode. :) The center light on each button will light up and the seat logo in the temp screen will indicate it is tied to the seat.

beaups said:
guys, all these differenct codes. are they read with a normal code scanner or do you have to plug into all these different systems somehow?? just curious

I'm not sure on this model without looking it up. Many times, climate control codes are read through the ATC display by pushing a combination of buttons to put it in diagnostic mode. Other times, codes can be read through the ALDL connector using a NGS tester that has vehicle specific software. You cannot use generic OBDII software and testers. Since the LS system is very sophisticated and all the modules communicate with each other, I'm guessing the latter.

I know for a fact that the seat climate control modules on the Aviator tie into the ALDL connector. I installed them in my wife's Aviator and that was one connection I had to make.

mint05LS said:
Automode for seat heat/AC ? how do you use this feature? Are they activated with the AUTO mode for the climate conrol?

You have to turn on the Auto mode for the seats independently of the Auto mode for the climate control system. But once you have the seats in Auto, the temperature is linked to the temp set on the Auto climate control. This way, the seats are heated or cooled in order to hold the temp you set on the Auto climate control.

All this is explained in the owner's manual. You did read the owner's manual, right? :cool:

2001LS8Sport said:
I'm not sure on this model without looking it up. Many times, climate control codes are read through the ATC display by pushing a combination of buttons to put it in diagnostic mode. Other times, codes can be read through the ALDL connector using a NGS tester that has vehicle specific software. You cannot use generic OBDII software and testers. Since the LS system is very sophisticated and all the modules communicate with each other, I'm guessing the latter.

I know for a fact that the seat climate control modules on the Aviator tie into the ALDL connector. I installed them in my wife's Aviator and that was one connection I had to make.
Seeing as how the '03-'06 LSes are CAN vehicles, I would expect that you're correct in your guess. I'm also fairly certain that I saw the climate controlled seat-related stuff in the Ford-specific codes list, not in the OBD-II generic list. As a result, AutoEnginuity's ScanTool package will be able to pull those codes, but the generic OBD-II scanner at AutoZone probably won't.

SoonerLS said:
Seeing as how the '03-'06 LSes are CAN vehicles, I would expect that you're correct in your guess. I'm also fairly certain that I saw the climate controlled seat-related stuff in the Ford-specific codes list, not in the OBD-II generic list. As a result, AutoEnginuity's ScanTool package will be able to pull those codes, but the generic OBD-II scanner at AutoZone probably won't.

Correct. That's how I see it too.

Members online

Back