2003 Ls

larryja50

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a squeak intheir steering wheel , especailly at low speeds. It started soon after I took possession and everytime the dealer had the car they could not hear it ergo no repair. Finally he did hear it and has order a new steering assembly.

Larry

Steering Squeak

Yes, I get steering squeak sometimes on my 2003 v6 LS also. This happens especially during winter months after it snows. The problem is it comes and goes and the times that I have brought it into the dealership it has stopped. What was the diagnoses on your LS?

-cW

larryja50 said:
Has anyone had a squeak intheir steering wheel , especailly at low speeds. It started soon after I took possession and everytime the dealer had the car they could not hear it ergo no repair. Finally he did hear it and has order a new steering assembly.

Larry
Larry I get it A LOT and it is driving me NUTS. I brought it into the dealership for somthing to be done, and I told them the wheel just feels funny and is making a noise. They said it was fine. When I go for an oil change and have them check my car over because I am getting AWFUL gas milage. I am getting city/highway like 14 if I am lucky. I had an 04 loaner car a few weeks for the day and it wouldn't budge at 17 in the city, which is what the sticker says it should be..

Well back to the steering, what do I tell them? I was going to say I have seen a lot of things on the internet about the steering squeak, is it only on 03's ? Is there something I should mention? Because it is really getting on my nerves...

ok, mine has a rumble. too much plastic involved is my diagnosis. it happens when i put the key in/out and the wheel goes to its memory position.

Guys, I know there are several threads about this.

On the 2003-2004 models, the "squeak at low speed" problem is a KNOWN issue, and there is a TSB for a fix. The dealer should be able to figure out the problem and fix it if they're on the ball.

The fix involves two steps. First step is to add a friction modifier to the PS fluid. If that doesn't work, they replace the steering rack. If your car is under warranty, the fix will be free. If not, get ready for a $650 bill if they have to replace the rack.

Members online

Back