2003 LS V8 Strange Whine?

captainkneecap

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My LS V8 started having a strange whine yesterday, it happens when cold, once the engine warms up it becomes less noticeable. It is very high pitchedand when i turn the wheel there is an effect on the sound which i found to be very strange as i first assumed it was an engine noise. I haven't had much time to look between school and work because the only time its cold is when i have to leave in the morning, so once im home from work at the end of the day the noise is all but gone. I had taken off the engine cover and had been driving around without it but that cant be the problem. (even after i put it back on the noise remains). It's also leaking oil. The last thing i did before the noise started was fill up the washer fluid and remove the engine cover. The next morning there is the sound. My assumption is that maybe something got on the drive belt but im not sure, if anyone knows please help!

What's your power steering fluid level and condition? Have you added anything to it? (Only ever add Mercon V, do not add "power steering fluid.")
What condition is the belt in? Has it ever been changed? How about the belt tensioner and/or idler pulley?
Also, note that turning the wheel at idle will slightly alter the engine RPM. This may be the only change you are hearing.

Members online

No members online now.
Back