2003 LS V8 starter replacement question..

Nemesis Prime

New LVC Member
Reaction score
.. car has been stuck on the driveway for about a month, bought a new battery after a no start /engine turn over situation and still had the click and engine wouldn't turn over. I figured it might be a dead starter, anyway I have acquired a refurbished starter and hope to replace what I think is a faulty starter this weekend.I would appreciate any advice as to the degree of difficulty with this task and to my approach to this issue as hope to do this on my driveway.

2003 LS V8 Charcoal Grey metallic . stock . 210K km.

Last edited:
Not very difficult, but why guess at it? There are very simple tests that might take all of five minutes (after the car is jacked up some) to do. They would positively rule in or out the starter as the problem.

Probe the "B" terminal of the starter, with the negative probe on the metal case (clean it off) of the starter. Have someone turn the key to start. If the voltage falls below 10V, then the starter is not the problem, the wiring or battery is.

Probe the "S" terminal of the starter. Have someone turn the key to start. If the voltage does not rise to over 10V, then the starter is not your problem.

Starter change out: 2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

Detailed testing: 2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

....thank you @joegr but I have a slight situation install went okay if not for the 1 nut at the top of the starter I had to do by feel, checked all nut and bolt points after install and sure enough she fired up okay but now car will not shut off (think it might be just the starter) even with key removed, will remove and reinstall ( starter looked seated well in there) . I would appreciate further advice from where i stand now.

??? o_O

So you are saying that when you turn the key off and pull it from the ignition switch,,, that the car stays running.... or that the starter keeps cranking???

If the latter, you probably got a couple wires on the stater in the wrong place.

Members online

Back