2003 Lincoln LS V8 Battery Wiring Issue

The Stevinator

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I had an issue where my LS (03 with 110k miles) recently died on me. Here's what happened:

1- I shifted the vehicle from reverse into drive
2- Vehicle engine stopped, & displayed 'vehicle charging error' in the notification center
3- I disconnected the battery & reconnected it.
4- Vehicle would not start & displayed 'etc failsafe mode', 'parking brake error', 'showed E for shifter position'

I took the vehicle to my friendly ford dealer, and they diagnosed the problem as (and I quote):

"Damaged wires in the battery junction box."

Now, I haven't done ANY electrical work in the trunk and keep my vehicle spotless. They even started to go into details that they've seen rats eat wires on other vehicles. I can assure you there's no rats in my car. This seems like an extraordinary service issue.

What the hell are they talking about, and why do they think they can charge $370.00 to repair such an issue? Has anyone else had similar problems?

Of note, they also tried to up-sell me on several other items including:
- Replacement of valve cover gaskets to the tune of $940 (both were replaced not more than 3 years ago)
- Replacement of radiator hose to the tune of $314 (replaced with an entire system update not more than 2 years ago)

I get the impression these guys are trying to bend me over a barrel and show me the fifty states.

There have been reports on here of corroded wiring in the trunk battery junction box area. Do you have the correct battery with the vent tube connected? If not, that might be why. Alternately, do you have any leaks or any water in the spare tire/battery well of the trunk?

It doesn't matter when the valve cover gaskets were changed, IF they are leaking now, they need to be changed now. Perhaps the job was done badly before? Are you certain that the hose in question was really changed before? Why did they say it needs to be changed? Did they discover that it is leaking?

As for why can they charge those prices... If you could do the work yourself, you wouldn't have taken it to them.

That's somewhat reassuring that it's not uncommon. I've never had such an issue with past vehicles. The battery is a contained die-hard and does have the vent tube connected. No water or leaks in the spare tire well.

It's possible the valve cover job was done poorly before. Although, with the exception of some small consumable maintenance (brakes, oil, wiper etc..) 100% of my service maintenance has been done at the dealership. It must be a pretty ****ty design or job if they leak after only a couple of years.

I'll be glad if the electrical issue actually solves the problem though. I only have limited electrical diagnosis tools, so I guess I'm still glad I took it to them. I may opt to do the valve covers/hose myself once I get it back. I just can't in good conscious authorize it without seeing it for myself.

But then again the MKT's do look pretty nice....

100% of my service maintenance has been done at the dealership.

unfortunately this doesn't mean that it was done right or done well (some dealers are great, some dealers are somewhere between less than great and piss poor)

It must be a pretty ****ty design or job if they leak after only a couple of years.

well has been a fairly common problem with the LS... so yeah, you could say that

But then again the MKT's do look pretty nice....

yikes, don't know if I would go that far! maybe if there was some way to have the interior but not have to see the train wreck that is the exterior of that poor confused vehicle.

Agreed on MKT account. I'd prefer the Jeep Grand Cherokee but I'm not exactly thrilled about owning a Chrysler product. I fear I'd end up with more problems than I already have!

Members online

No members online now.
Back