2002 V8 LSE with 156k miles. Transmission issue. Help

lseguy

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So at 75k (im the original owner of this car) I had the fluid replacement service at my local Ford Dealership. At 155k or so, I figured I'd have the fluid replaced one last time and never touch it again. I generally pamper the car and rarely drive it unusually hard. Definitely never slam gears, torque brake burnouts, or anything like that.

Went to a reputable independent who replaced the fluid with a "symthetic transmission fluid" about 3 weeks ago. Since then I've felt the transmission slip 3 times. Once I pushed her hard to get ahead of traffic to the right of me in order to get into a right lane to pull into a shopping center. As soon as I made it into the shopping center driveway (slight incline)..the RPM's raced up a bit before it "thunked" into gear.

A week of driving after that revealed no additional issues.

Then the next incident was pulling up into my driveway after a calm drive, I felt the transmission slip a small amount.

Then yesterday morning I started the car, backed it out of the driveway into the street, then when I put her into Drive from reverse.....nothing happened...I gave it gas and the engine revved smoothly up to about 3k but the car didnt budge. I let the rpms drop down to idle..and when I looked down to double check which gear I was in...the the rpm's dip a bit and I felt the car engage into Drive. Drove fine after that.

I plan to take the LS back to the independent int he morning to have them check the transmission fluid level.

Is this the sign of failing solenoid? Low fluid level symptom? Or failing transmission?

I'm really regretting the decision to save $40 over the dealership fluid replacement cost now. In fact..Im regretting my decision to simply not leave well enough alone in the first place and leave the fluid be.

Transmission

Though i have heard of this type of problem before the suggestions were to have the shop check the fluid level and also make sure they used the proper type of Mercon fluid for for the LS.
I would do a search to find any threads leading to your problem as it has been discussed before.

took it back to the independent this morning. They double checked and found the fluid was indeed "slightly low". They topped it off and so far..so good. also, she shifts a lot smoother with not as much harsh engagement after this most recent transmission fluid replacement. BG brand is what was used. (not that Im stuck on brands..I usually go OEM for everything..except motor oil)

All Mercon V is synthetic, if I am not mistaken. Reading along with your story, I was thinking low fluid level the whole time. Glad to hear that things are normal, and doing PM work should never be regarded as wasted effort and money, because in the long run, it usually saves corrective maintenance down the road.

my mechanic keeps telling me (every time i mention transmission fluid change) he's seen a working car pull into his shop, changed the fluid to spec, car never moved again.

my mechanic keeps telling me (every time i mention transmission fluid change) he's seen a working car pull into his shop, changed the fluid to spec, car never moved again.

Then the transmission was already failing. I've had mine flushed twice. The guy responsible for the transmission calibrations recommends flushing the fluid every 30ishK miles.

took it back to the independent this morning. They double checked and found the fluid was indeed "slightly low". They topped it off and so far..so good. also, she shifts a lot smoother with not as much harsh engagement after this most recent transmission fluid replacement. BG brand is what was used. (not that Im stuck on brands..I usually go OEM for everything..except motor oil)
For those who care, all is still well almost two years later. Currently have 166k miles and the transmission still performs like it did when I first bought the car new in 2002 with 6 miles on it.

I care.Found your solution with a search.

For those who care, all is still well almost two years later. Currently have 166k miles and the transmission still performs like it did when I first bought the car new in 2002 with 6 miles on it.

Yeah,I love the search function. Hopefully this is my problem as well. I did a complete flush with Mercon V and the same non-engagement prob appears at every light. My wife is driving it right now, as I have disconnected and reconnected the battery cable for the PCM to reset parameters or whatever.
I'll check the fluid again when I get time.Tonght I gotta start my 4 nights work,12 hrs. each,so it'll be Monday evening before I get to it.
THANKS for reposting that the solution was a lasting one.That helps,and I wish more people did that. don-ohio :)^)

maybe there is a problem with the mechanic if cars come in working then work no longer after the work is done...

honestly there are three types of people why it comes to trans flushings...

first there are the people who understand how complicated auto trans are and how important regular maintenance is. therefore they get flushes on time or early.

then there are the type of people who notice a problem with the way there car is shifting and sooner or later (most of the time i would bet way later, like can no longer get to where they need to because of it) they go and try to get it flushed out to see if that clears up the problem. unfortunately, at this part, the trans is already damaged so the flush doesn't fix their problem.

last there are the people who fear "the flush" because of all the horror stories they have heard...

Then the transmission was already failing. I've had mine flushed twice. The guy responsible for the transmission calibrations recommends flushing the fluid every 30ishK miles.

uh-huh

Wouldn't let me change the fluid in his 98 vette. He took it to Carl Hogan Chevrolet where they had the tools to completely flush the transmission. ****er didn't roll off the rack. Guess he should have been content with just pulling the pan. It would have bought him a few more miles.

...last there are the people who fear "the flush" because of all the horror stories they have heard...

Yes, and apparently, no amount of logic will change their opinion. It's a shame...

My cousin is a master mechanic. When I told him I bought a used LS, the first thing he told me to do was flush the tranny at or before 100000 miles. He also stated that the harsh shift when cold that I asked about in another thread was normal for this car. Always use a reputable mechanic or use the Lincoln service. All should be fine.

... He also stated that the harsh shift when cold that I asked about in another thread was normal for this car. Always use a reputable mechanic or use the Lincoln service. All should be fine.

He is wrong. It's not normal. Neither of mine do this. You have a problem.

Members online

Back