2002 LS will not start, battery installed backwards, smoke.

The LS tends to bite a lot of new owners who do not know the vehicle well; its complexity and its parts expense.

Some of the electronic modules may be diode protected from both reverse voltage and spikes. But the only way of knowing is to put a full scanner in there and see what the faults are.

I’m also wondering if this vehicle even cranked over with the battery reversed. I can see a reverse voltage would turn the starter in the reverse direction and although the solenoid would have thrown the starter drive gear into the flywheel, most starters have an overrunning clutch that would not allow the starter to move the motor.

I don't think that it's possible to activate the starter relay with the battery connected backwards. I think that the PATS has to be functional to activate the starter relay, and it wouldn't be if the battery were backwards.

Good point.

So either way the vehicle would not have had the alternator generating against the wrongly connected battery.

i'd be more worried the smoke was coming from the wiring harness that passes by the passenger front wheel well... you have that much heat with that many packed wires, it wouldn't take much to fuse them ALL together... my$.02

i'd be more worried the smoke was coming from the wiring harness that passes by the passenger front wheel well... you have that much heat with that many packed wires, it wouldn't take much to fuse them ALL together... my$.02

did I mention the alt was fried... where smoke came from.

Funny how useless and idiotic most people here are, desperate for anyone to think they know something.

thanks to those who did offer info.

this crayon had a nice drive in his lincoln ls tonight. and will be enjoying the $5,000 profit soon. Minus the $180 in repair costs of course.

will i give any info to you people. no. why encourage more people to come be demeaned by desperate little people here. good bye.

did I mention the alt was fried... where smoke came from.

Funny how useless and idiotic most people here are, desperate for anyone to think they know something.

thanks to those who did offer info.

this crayon had a nice drive in his lincoln ls tonight. and will be enjoying the $5,000 profit soon. Minus the $180 in repair costs of course.

will i give any info to you people. no. why encourage more people to come be demeaned by desperate little people here. good bye.

haha seems like many act that way twds anyone with low post count.. bc clearly this is the only place where you can learn anything. glad it worked out for you. keep in mind you might have some intermittent issues tho. i encourage you to post more about those issues if/when you have them and ignore the assclowns.

If people know so much before posting here, why do they post?

Good luck. Hopefully you sell it before anything else goes wrong. Hopefully when you do sell it the buyer doesn't buy an electrical time-bomb.

WOW, WOW, WOW... what did I say?!?!?!? how, in any way, was that rude.... my first and only post in this thread was you may want to check the WH up front... It wasn't a shot at you dick head... JESUS CHRIST i cant win!!!!

5k profit my A$$... your an F'n idiot... Peace out MORON

*** i swear this is J-rocc...LOL***

wow, wow, wow... What did i say?!?!?!? How, in any way, was that rude.... My first and only post in this thread was you may want to check the wh up front... It wasn't a shot at you dick head... Jesus christ i cant win!!!!

5k profit my a$$... Your an f'n idiot... Peace out moron

*** i swear this is j-rocc...lol***

L
a
u
g
h
i
n
g
!
!
!

yeah its our fault that between your piss poor explanation of the problem, and our inability to test sh!t over the internet we couldn't tell you exactly how to fix the car. maybe we could have given you more help except for the part that it wont even crank (which for the record, an alt alone will not fix this problem) and all you had to do was replace the alt huh?

even though your not interested in further advise, i will offer you one more bit of help,

you can go suck a d!ck up until you hiccup

anybody else find it interesting that somebody who "can do anything from the ground up, vw bug to mack truck, except for the trans." had to come on line to figure out that his car needed a new alternator

Seems like he already knew the answer when he originally posted.

WOW, WOW, WOW... what did I say?!?!?!? how, in any way, was that rude.... my first and only post in this thread was you may want to check the WH up front... It wasn't a shot at you dick head... JESUS CHRIST i cant win!!!!

5k profit my A$$... your an F'n idiot... Peace out MORON

*** i swear this is J-rocc...LOL***

haha not sure why he quoted you, bc you didnt say anything. but collectively, some who posted were kind of a dik to the guy. i would imagine that the alternator didnt fix his issue, but who knows.

yeah its our fault that between your piss poor explanation of the problem, and our inability to test sh!t over the internet we couldn't tell you exactly how to fix the car. maybe we could have given you more help except for the part that it wont even crank (which for the record, an alt alone will not fix this problem) and all you had to do was replace the alt huh?

even though your not interested in further advise, i will offer you one more bit of help,

you can go suck a d!ck up until you hiccup

anybody else find it interesting that somebody who "can do anything from the ground up, vw bug to mack truck, except for the trans." had to come on line to figure out that his car needed a new alternator

lol i dont know how else you expect him to describe the problem: someone hooked up a battery bkwds, saw some smoke, it wont start.. not much more explaining to do there imo

lol i dont know how else you expect him to describe the problem: someone hooked up a battery bkwds, saw some smoke, it wont start.. not much more explaining to do there imo

the explanation alone was not an issue, it was his comment about how nobody was any help in solving his problem, and that he wouldn't give us any info, then there was the "you people" part, (what ever the hell that means :shifty:) and tops it all off with him being a great mechanic that can handle anything but transmissions but resorts to asking on line before he even looks at the car and test it out for him self.

he makes it sound out like the alternator was the only thing that was replaced to fix the problem, I just think its kinda bush league for somebody that says they know what they are doing under the hood to come online, ask for help with out really knowing anything other than what he heard from the kind of guy that hooks up battery us backwards, and then gets pissed that the internet couldn't solve his problem with all of the information (which lets all admit it, was pretty piss poor) he gave.

Next !!!!

~ one of these days we should all just meet in the same parking lot.

Members online

Back