2002 Ls V8 overheating

Diablita

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought my Ls in june 2021 and this is the second time it has overheated when I havent drivin it for a few days. The coolant was low the first time this time the coolant is fine the fan has been very active all week as if its been getting hot but not to overheat. I dont know much about cars but need some help with the most important to test first i dont have time nor money to spend and im trying to find the best solution on how to fix my ls I wanted one for so long and finally have it. Please help out.

There is a "sticky" pinned at the top of the LS page. This is it.

Within the above link... there are a couple other links for cooling system rebuilds.

I think one pertains to the Gen 1 LS (1999-2002)

Some of the parts are different between generations.

Time to settle in and do alot of reading.

Check the plastic reservoir for cracks.
I had this issue long ago on my 2002 LS Sport and the dealer screwed me over. After he replaced the hydraulic pump he said OH you need the hydraulic fan also. Then when it overheated after all that during testing, they spotted a puddle of antifreeze on the workshop floor. They then said OH you also need a reservoir! I think the bill was close to $2000.
I came to find out later this was a not so uncommon an issue with these reservoirs cracking causing overheating issues.
So check that first especially if your loosing coolant.

Check the plastic reservoir for cracks.
I had this issue long ago on my 2002 LS Sport and the dealer screwed me over. After he replaced the hydraulic pump he said OH you need the hydraulic fan also. Then when it overheated after all that during testing, they spotted a puddle of antifreeze on the workshop floor. They then said OH you also need a reservoir! I think the bill was close to $2000.
I came to find out later this was a not so uncommon an issue with these reservoirs cracking causing overheating issues.
So check that first especially if your loosing coolant.
Thank You I will start with that first..Im trying to not fix what i cant afford and thats just about anything but need my car to work thanks again

Also it could be the thermostat they are a known issue also.
Both these things are not that expensive and you should be able to do them yourself. Check out the other suggested post also, but anything else could seriously hurt you wallet. I hope all goes well for you!

Thank You I will start with that first..Im trying to not fix what i cant afford and thats just about anything but need my car to work thanks again
Unfortunately, this approach will usually cost you a lot more in the long run. (Long run in this case being only a month or three.)

Yup... plan to fork out a grand in parts and do it all at once... unless you like replacing parts... after replacing parts.

You should then get roughly 7 years of driving out of the cooling system rebuild.

You guys are 100% correct, but this poor gentleman obviously has money issues and he may not be able to do the complete job all at once.
Owning an LS and being strapped for cash is a big problem.You have to love the car as we do and be willing to spend a lot of money and time to keep it running correctly. My wife constantly tells me to sell it, but I love the car even though I am constantly fixing one problem after another.
I just replaced the entire front suspension everything except the springs.but it turned out they were both broken also and since they are NLA, I had to get them from the local junk yard. I have put more money into this car in the last 2 years then I could sell it for. Now after I fix the airbag wiring issues, I am hoping I can actually enjoy driving it, for a while anyway.

By the way it is a 2002 LS Sport I purchased in 2001 and it only has 80,000 miles on it.

this poor gentleman obviously has money issues and he may not be able to do the complete job all at once.

That may be true... but doing the job "piece meal" can be more expensive in the long run.

Especially if you have to remove new parts... to replace old parts.

If it has to be done piece meal... then I suggest starting with anything attached directly to the block... or intake... and working your way out. It may mean having to buy a few extra O-rings... but they are cheap.

Doing it this way also means the most expensive parts are furthest from the engine... such as the degas bottle, DCCV, aux pump, and radiator.

At that point the determining factor is how many times you want to drain and refill (and bleed) the system.

I did mine a piece at a time, but I did the work myself so I saved a fortune, however I did have to take parts off and replace them multiple times to get it the next one that failed and trust me they will all fail cause they are all plastic junk designed to fail, but when you don't have the money you don't have the money and you don't have any other options so that's what you have to do. If you cannot do the work yourself however I would never use this method because the mechanics will rape you over and over and over in labor. If you can do the work yourself it's really nothing more than a waste of time, but if you can afford to do it all at once that's the best method for sure.

You guys are 100% correct, but this poor gentleman obviously has money issues and he may not be able to do the complete job all at once.
Owning an LS and being strapped for cash is a big problem.You have to love the car as we do and be willing to spend a lot of money and time to keep it running correctly. My wife constantly tells me to sell it, but I love the car even though I am constantly fixing one problem after another.
I just replaced the entire front suspension everything except the springs.but it turned out they were both broken also and since they are NLA, I had to get them from the local junk yard. I have put more money into this car in the last 2 years then I could sell it for. Now after I fix the airbag wiring issues, I am hoping I can actually enjoy driving it, for a while anyway.
Im a woman and Ive wanted one of these cars for a longtime and yes I have money issues im a single mom of a 8yr and he loves the car just as much I will figure out the problem and spend the money to fix it but of course its only because I finally got The car I wanted and I believe I got a good deal and its clean i get approached all the time about if i wanna sell it there are not many where I live so its a looker..so I take it all in and use all the info to nail the problem instead of trouble shooting and it getting to expensive..

I did mine a piece at a time, but I did the work myself so I saved a fortune, however I did have to take parts off and replace them multiple times to get it the next one that failed and trust me they will all fail cause they are all plastic junk designed to fail, but when you don't have the money you don't have the money and you don't have any other options so that's what you have to do. If you cannot do the work yourself however I would never use this method because the mechanics will rape you over and over and over in labor. If you can do the work yourself it's really nothing more than a waste of time, but if you can afford to do it all at once that's the best method for sure.
Thank you If course I dont have the money to do it all at once and I will look at what needs to be done and see if I can do the work myself befor going to mechanic because the cost of labor hurt you everytime

It is a beautiful car and it drives and handles extremely well. Back in the day it's handling skills were right up against the 5 series BMW's. My 2002 is my 2nd, I also owned a 2000 V8 sport. The 1st LS had so many issues Lincoln end up replacing it with my 2002. Back in 2000 me and 2 other guys founded the LLSOC (Lincoln LS Owners Club) I was very involved back then and a bunch of us local club members would meet in NY City to attend the auto shows and working with Lincoln we would represent the club at their display area.
I obviously love the car or I wouldn't put up with always having to fix one thing or another. New dealer parts are far and few, but there are aftermarket part available. Due to the cost of repairs and the unavailability of some key parts the junkyards are full of them. This is were you can find those parts that are unavailable new.. always get new factory parts if you can,, don't buy electrical parts used unless you have no choice.. most control modules need to be programed to work with the other ones..
It is good your going to try to do some repairs yourself, otherwise be prepared to pay out a lot of money to repair shops. There are a lot of nice people here in this forum ready to help, but it helps to do a search first. Check YouTube also, but beware there are some idiots who don't know what their doing posting video's there.
Good luck with your LS, I hope your one of the few lucky ones with not so many issues.

Three simple things you can do as a start. First, this forum is one of the very best automotive forums on the Internet and you will be smart to read it regularly and ask a lot of questions. Many of the folks here have lived whatever problems you may incur and will very willingly share with you their advice based on their first-hand experience. Knowledge is power. I'm not sure one could keep an LS on the road without being active here. Second, the LS is very sensitive to air in the cooling system so I recommend learning the air-bleed process and make sure you are at least good there. Lastly, I would give that D-Gas bottle a close examination for cracks and possible failure points. Your D-gas bottle WILL fail at some point as they all do, so I'd give that a thorough once over. Like it or not, the advice you received here regarding replacing all of the coolant system components at one time is spot on. Doing it piece-meal will result in a never-ending battle with your cooling system. I guarantee it.

Members online

Back