2002 ls v8 crap gas mileage

Johns LS

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 ls 41,000 miles
and im getting 5.8 to7.0 mpg
No lights or noises or other issues
Any help or ideas ??

Just guessing....Coil on plug issues,maybe. For spark plugs,that's not a lot of miles,but the years count too.Changed air filter lately? When I had a bad O2 sensor,I got a code. don-ohio :)^)

thanks don -ohio
the car was under ext warranty . and they changed most of the coils and plugs I think 5 out of the 8.
not sure why they didn't do all. air filter and box are spotless . at this point just think I want the car gone.
between the little issues and the insurance on it think its to to let her go . thanks for the suggestions .

Plugged cats and probably three or more marginal coils and plugs?
Wrong octane gasoline?

Certainly you are the one to decide, John. If I had an LS with only 41K miles, I'd find the problem and get it fixed. Maybe they shoulda changed all 8 COPs and plugs? Problem can be identified by the right mechanics. Ford actually should be able to pinpoint it. I'm thinking it's possibly fuel pressure or injector probs maybe.
Hopefully Joe or someone else will chime in and give their considered opinion. But I'd be getting diagnostics done before I gave up on that car. don-ohio :)^)

thanks don -ohio
the car was under ext warranty . and they changed most of the coils and plugs I think 5 out of the 8.
not sure why they didn't do all. air filter and box are spotless . at this point just think I want the car gone.
between the little issues and the insurance on it think its to to let her go . thanks for the suggestions .

Plugged cats and probably three or more marginal coils and plugs?
Wrong octane gasoline?

I really feel like this has a lot to do with it...

@ < 7mpg, does this thing even feel like its running well? does it have any power? I really cant imagine the only symptom being extremely low MPG...

are you hand calculating out the millage, or going off of what the car says?

my car is pretty much only my weekend hot rod when the weathers on terrible, I and I am dead serious when I say that probably 95% of the time it is accelerating, it is at WOT, and it still can manage to average a little over 13 mpg... I cant even understand how its possible to be using more than twice that amount of gas and not noticing something else that seems off.

when you drive, is it leaving a trail of liquid behind it? :shifty:

thanks for the info guys.
theres no way to determine if the cats are clogged ?

Try hitting them with a rubber mallet. You should be able to hear if there is anything loose inside causing a clog.

the car drives just fine idles fine. that's the odd part no noises, lights , stalling , lag nothing
im putting the correct octane. at idle warming up there is a little water but nothing crazy same as my 2013 f150 ???

You'll get a code if the catalytics clog, at least I did. It sometimes said 02 sensor, but it was clogged catalytics, and thank goodness they were barely still under warranty. Have you checked the codes lately? don-ohio :)^)

the car drives just fine idles fine. that's the odd part no noises, lights , stalling , lag nothing
im putting the correct octane. at idle warming up there is a little water but nothing crazy same as my 2013 f150 ???

At idle, you should feel the exhaust pulse. It will come out constantly but you should be able to feel it pulsing. If it feels smooth with no pulsing, then you have a clogged cat. The reason is a working cat is not an obstruction so the exhaust flows through freely, but a clogged cat will not let exhaust pass. A clogged cat forces the car to pressurize the exhaust in front of the cat, then force it through, which means the pulses are ending at the cat. We're not talking huge pressure here, but it doesn't take much to remove the pulsing from the exhaust stream. An exhaust shop can also check and most will do it free of charge and you don't have to worry about them lying about it because if they get caught by the Feds changing out a working cat it's 25 grand or more in fines. They're legally only allowed to replace defective cats.

IMO you have multiple issues here. Assuming you have the stock size tires on, a taller tire will slow the speedo down for the speed you are going which will make it look like you're not going as far as you are. Lazy O2 sensors will knock as much as 3MPG, perhaps more, off your fuel economy by making the car run rich and won't necessarily set a code. A torque converter with a failed lockup will cause the car to lose mileage by not locking the engine and transmission together, but I'd think there would be a code set for this. You say the coils (COPs) were replaced under warranty, I'd consider them suspect and would replace them all with Motorcraft along with NGK platinum or better plugs, making sure to gap them correctly.

Finally, you idle the car to warm it up? How long does the car idle? When idling the car is getting 0MPG, and if the car is idling a long time this alone will kill your mileage. I never idle my car more than one minute on the coldest days, I just get in and drive. Instead I'm careful to drive it very, very easy until it gets warm. Until it's warm I don't go more than just off idle on acceleration and keep the RPMs at a minimum.

Finally, you idle the car to warm it up? How long does the car idle? When idling the car is getting 0MPG, and if the car is idling a long time this alone will kill your mileage. I never idle my car more than one minute on the coldest days, I just get in and drive. Instead I'm careful to drive it very, very easy until it gets warm. Until it's warm I don't go more than just off idle on acceleration and keep the RPMs at a minimum.

even when i remote start my car and let it run for 10 - 15 mins (almost every time it gets driven cause its going to get driven hard as hell right out of the driveway) it still gets above 13.

sub 7 has some serious issue.

oooohh, I see where your thinking with that, I probably would have never...

even when i remote start my car and let it run for 10 - 15 mins (almost every time it gets driven cause its going to get driven hard as hell right out of the driveway) it still gets above 13.

sub 7 has some serious issue.

Yes, I'm thinking several issues. Idling, bad O2, partially clogged cats, and possible trans issues, all this adds up or rather subtracts down. Unless Joe's right on his question, that is.

On driving it hard right off, this is where I don't worry. It's miles from my house to the first road it can be safely driven hard on, same for work, and there's no other places I ever go where it parks for any length of time.

I never drive `em hard starting off. Had a bad experience once and it stuck with me all these years. I pulled out like a typical teenager in my 62 Ford Falcon Futura(yeah,I was responsible for repairs on it), laid the coal to her in the cold weather, and about a mile later saw a trail of blue smoke really billowing in the rearview. Front seal of tranny had let go. Couldn't make it to work,got fired because of it, and never forgot that lesson.
Yeah,seals are better today,they've learned a lot. But I don't roar out anywhere when the car's just been started.
Pretty traumatic losing the job over being late.
don-ohio
:)^)

gentlemen. thank you for all you time and ideas, but I think I have to list it ,
and if it doesn't go. put it in the garage till the summer and deal with it then.
if any one is looking for a 2002 ls with 42,000 on it let me know ,looking for $7000.
thanks again for your suggestions and time

I forgot to ask you John,are you just taking real short trips or idling in traffic a lot? Won't get any decent mileage doing that. don-ohio :)^)

That's true, when I moved to the new place my driving went from almost all city to mostly highway. Mileage went up from about 18 to about 21. I don't ever use the dashboard thing either, it's strictly miles divided by gallons.

So far as the cost, I've got a pretty clean 2003 that I feel I'll be lucky to get 4 grand out of. Working on getting mine ready to go now. I have more miles than that, but on a 13 year old car that doesn't matter so much anymore.

Wow! 18 in city is pretty good! I have gotten up to 32 highway with the V6,but this V8 on highway isn't as good.Maybe 25 so far. If that's a really nice car he's got with only 42K miles,and he gets whatever his problem is fixed, it might be worth that much. Have to have a perfect body to go with that low mileage. don-ohio :)^)

That's true, when I moved to the new place my driving went from almost all city to mostly highway. Mileage went up from about 18 to about 21. I don't ever use the dashboard thing either, it's strictly miles divided by gallons.

So far as the cost, I've got a pretty clean 2003 that I feel I'll be lucky to get 4 grand out of. Working on getting mine ready to go now. I have more miles than that, but on a 13 year old car that doesn't matter so much anymore.

I was talking to a mechanic the other day and he drove the car and didn't feel any different or out of place. the car is only doing short trips to maybe a mile or two a day im sure that's a issue . as for price 7 is high but that was a start really. the car was driven by my father for years he breaks a sweat going 60mph!! has had extended warranties for years . they did the coils,alt,battery, 4 new mich pilot 2's at 34,791 miles on 9/29/11 that just shows how well the mile are . was garage kept "that's where it got most of its scratches"
its a 2002 but still looks sharp. not perfect but really nice. once the weather breaks going to clean it up and post it on CL FOR $6,500 See what happens there a lot of pos with 130kmile for 3500 and higher car needs to been seen then talk price
once again thanks for you help and suggestions . I think im just over thinking it and its not getting a good run .

You just answered the question when you said it was driven in mile or two SHORT trips. That's the kind of mileage I'd expect if the car never got to warm up. The exhaust would also be full of water and condensation. Check the mileage on a long trip. don-ohio :)^)

Yes, that's very bad on the engine, and you should be changing the oil way more often than normal. I'd stay away from any that have been driven like that, they're worn out before their time.

Members online

No members online now.
Back