2002 LS newly bought wont pass inspection!

Hoverracer8

LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2002 LS V8 about a month ago and it will not pass inspection! The tires are below legal the brakes are below legal and the trans has a slip(not illegal but not good~!) Now i bought the car from a local used car dealer and they had it inspected and i had a 20 day plate with the car, I didnt drive it for more then 15 days then left for vacation. I come back now and my plates expired i register my car drive it to the inspection station and it failed! What should i do? Do i go after the used car dealer for repairs to pass inspection? I was told that buying a used car from a dealer means it has to pass inspection? Is this true? I live in New Hampshire if that matters, Thanks Nate hill

Yes it does have to pass inspection before they sell it, i know its like that in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Not sure where ya bought it, but i would go back to the dealer and question them on how it passed not even a few weeks earlier. Have them fix the problems you should get some sort of a lemon law, i know its 60 days in massachusets and 30 in rhode island, or something like that...

yeah its been about 30 days and theres no way it will pass! I bought the car in Bow NH and live near by. The tires are worn fron allignment so you can tell its not abuse! The brakes look like theres been 10 pairs of pads on the rotors! The rotor is less then half the thickness it should be! My mechanic showwed me all this so i will know when i talk to them! Thanks!

i kno they (dealership) said it was garunteed to pass or u get something but i forget what
at leaste when i bought mine that happened

Most states require that a car be able to pass inspection before it can be sold by a dealer, but not NH. In NH, a dealer can sell an "unsafe car" that won't pass inspection, but it has to be disclosed before the sale:
THE LAW

New Hampshire, unlike many other states, permits the sale of so-called "unsafe" vehicles which cannot pass state inspection when sold. New Hampshire's Unsafe Vehicle Act (RSA 358-F) gives consumers several important legal rights in the sale of such used vehicles. An "unsafe" vehicle, as defined by RSA 358-F, is one whose brakes, frame, exhaust system, or lights will not pass the state's safety inspection.

Before a dealer can sell an unsafe used car, the dealer must:

* disclose that the car will not pass the state safety inspection; and
* offer the buyer the opportunity to have the car inspected for safety (the dealer may charge a "reasonable" amount for the inspection).

If the consumer still wants to buy the car, knowing it is considered "unsafe," the dealer may sell the car but must list the safety defects for the buyer along with a notice stating:

This motor vehicle will not pass a New Hampshire inspection and is unsafe for operation. The following defects must be corrected before an inspection sticker will be issued.

EXAMPLE: Bondough's Best, a used car dealer, receives a used Porcine Troughmaster in trade. While getting it ready for resale, Clyde Bondough notices that the Troughmaster's frame and exhaust pipes are rusted through. Harvey Parsley comes to the lot the next day and says "Porcines are the best! I especially love the Troughmaster." Before Bondough's can sell Harvey the Troughmaster, it must tell him that the car probably will not pass a state safety inspection, and offer him a chance to get the car inspected. Harvey may still buy the Troughmaster if he gets a list of all the items that did not pass inspection and the warning stated in the text.

Any violation of RSA 358-F is considered to be an unfair and deceptive trade practice which triggers certain rights and remedies under the New Hampshire Consumer Protection Act.

RSA 266:8 also gives the used car buyer protective rights. When a dealer licensed by the New Hampshire Department of Safety finds that a car will not pass the state safety inspection, the dealer must:

* destroy the inspection sticker on the car;
* fill out a form distributed by the Department of Safety;
* have the buyer sign the form to acknowledge that the buyer is aware the car will not pass inspection; and
* provide the buyer and the Department with a copy of the form, and keep a copy of the form in the dealer's files.

-- http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/sourcebook/autos_used.html

(Sorry; posted when I wanted to preview.)
If they didn't destroy the inspection sticker, then they apparently didn't sell it as an "unsafe" vehicle, so it should have to pass inspection. I'd go talk to the sales manager at the dealership; if the dealership won't make it right, I'd contact the Attorney General's Office (start with their Web site) and see if they have any advice, because this could call for action by the AG action under New Hampshire's law. If you know a lawyer (from church, for example), I'd ask him or her before going to the AG's Office.

I spoke with the dealership earlier and they are cutting me a check for $1500-$2000 for the repairs and hassle! I am going first thing monday and picking up the money! They said they just got the car and didnt realize the car needed work! Thanks guys!

Hoverracer8 said:
I spoke with the dealership earlier and they are cutting me a check for $1500-$2000 for the repairs and hassle! I am going first thing monday and picking up the money! They said they just got the car and didnt realize the car needed work! Thanks guys!

WOW!! That dispells a lot of used car dealer myths! Good for you...and I would remember the name of that dealer! Sounds like they are a good place to do business with.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have now been back and forth with the dealership since monday!! I was told over the phone to come in and get money! FINE easy enough, I go in monday, the person i talked to is out sick! I talk to another person that tells me they need there inspection station to look at the car, FINE i bring it there, they look it over guess what> IT FAILS!! but i know the person that owns that shop so he didnt want to fail the car as it is a conflict of interest as he does all there work! FINE. I go back to the dealer they say they need fail inspection papers from a DOT inspection station!.
I bring my car to another shop he fails it! I bring his receipt to the dealer as i walk into the dealers the guy that owns there inspection stations there cool i know him its all good right? NOOOO They tell me all kinds of crap so im pissed. Now the inspection station owner tells me what the costs where for the parts and i tell him some other things where noticed when it was failed the 3rd time now!! He says fine, The women from the dealership askes him if he can just fix the car all snoty and pissy like and he says sure for me to call him tomorow. That was yesterday!
TODAY!!! I call the shop he says he can get it in thurs. fri. and do the work but he just faxed the dealer the price list, he will call me shortly OK,,,,
I get a call from the dealer about 20min ago and she says the car has been in my possesion for a month and I put 2,000 miles on it so they wont re-emburse me nothing!!!! WHAT???????? So as far as I know im stuck with a junk car, no inspection, no registration, no money and i have to pay off the $20,000 i bought the car for?? WHAT THE HELL?? Im so pissed just wanted to update all the nice people here on the forums! Gone to saulk in the corner! Nate Hill

pay a lawyer to make a call to the dealer, I dont know what the per HR rate is in your state, but you will be shocked at how fast you get your money when a law suit based on fraud charges is talked about to the sales managment;)

the_ancient said:
pay a lawyer to make a call to the dealer, I dont know what the per HR rate is in your state, but you will be shocked at how fast you get your money when a law suit based on fraud charges is talked about to the sales managment;)

Yes I would highly recomend a lawyer be brought in, he will get you what you need and if you play your cards right you can get them to pay the lawyer fee too. Good luck! Keep us informed.

-Scott-

this sucks. not to pour salt on your wounds, but I'd have your attorney push for refund. 20K is too much for an 02 unless it's really low miles or whatever. judging by your situation it's not.

Nah it actualy had 57,000 when i bought it and now has 59,000. I didnt realy care the price cause it was cheaper per month then alot of other cars i look at. I am waiting to hear from the head guy from paramount/pelham auto to see what he says then if i dont like it then the lawyers will be brought in. Thank you guys!

Sounds like these guys are just jerking you along until you've had the car so long the whole issue becomes cloudy. I would get a lawyer involved now. i know most of us hate to resort to that because of expense and aggravation involved but sometimes theres no choice. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

WELL!! Just got down with all the bull a little while ago! I had to hear all this "We legaly dont have to do anything" bull then finaly got to the owner of both companys and told him i have started talking with my lawyer and gave his name (well known new england lawyer and friend of the family!) And he said instantly "well as it is the holiday season i tell you what, Bring it to anyshop of your choice have them call us and we will take care of ANY problems you have or anything you dislike about the car I.E. the trans slip!, And they will cover ALL COSTS! And i got this in writing!! OHHH Yeah!! Im finaly happy with this company! They are from Mass. And dont know any NH laws of motor vehicles so i gave them a copy of the laws and regs. from the DMV which does state all motor vehicles sold have to be free of life threatining issues, which my car had a bunch! So alls good so far! We will see what they say after they get my bill!! Thanks guys!

Members online

No members online now.
Back