2002 LS lug nut stud

RustyFlask

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, my first question on here, and I'm scratching my head.
I'm replacing a broken lug nut stud on the passenger side front of my 2002 LS. I had no problems getting the old stud out, but when I went to the local parts store the stud they sold me won't fit snug in the hole. I checked it with calipers and at the flare there's a .03 to .04 difference in the width to the new stud. The parts store says it's the only one listed for 02, 03, 04 etc LS's. The LS has 76,000 mi on it, so I feel confident its the original factory stud that broke. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

The serrated head of the stud is slightly bigger than the serrations in the hub, correct?
It is an interference fit. You are supposed to use a stack of washers and a sacrificial flat sided lug nut to seat the stud.
If the stud is smaller, then they have the wrong part. You may have to order from a dealer.

Yes, the stud is smaller than the hole in the hub. It's the stud the parts store had listed for my 02'. I will stop at the Lincoln dealer in town tomorrow, and get the factory stud. Thanks!

Update on the broken stud on my LS.
Got the new stud from the dealer, and having the same problem. I'm wondering if when I popped out the broken stud, it took some of the surface material from the hole with it. It looks pretty clean, but the new stud is loose and won't seat to the hub. Will I have to just replace the bearing hub?

Update on the broken stud on my LS.
Got the new stud from the dealer, and having the same problem. I'm wondering if when I popped out the broken stud, it took some of the surface material from the hole with it. It looks pretty clean, but the new stud is loose and won't seat to the hub. Will I have to just replace the bearing hub?
Just replace the entire hub assembly...the fix is easy and hub assemblies are cheap $$$$$ you may want to spray the hell out of the bolts a few days prior to changing it out with pb blaster or buy a torch ..depending where you live if winter salt plagues your car ...RockAuto or Ebay or Amazon all sell many brands that are good...

Screenshot_20210328-085246_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20210328-085242_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Just replace the entire hub assembly...the fix is easy and hub assemblies are cheap $$$$$ you may want to spray the hell out of the bolts a few days prior to changing it out with pb blaster or buy a torch ..depending where you live if winter salt plagues your car ...RockAuto or Ebay or Amazon all sell many brands that are good...
That sounds like the plan. Thanks for the links!

I bought those exact ones and had to replace them twice because the abs sensors they use are junk, they made the abs light come on, traction control quit working and my interior lights wouldnt work, i finally used the factory abs sensor on the new hubs to get them to work correctly
It was an example of what the average price is of an aftermarket...I have used these on 2 different LSes with no issues what so ever...the RULE OF LIFE you get what you pay for ...so if someone wants to go with MotorCraft over aftermarket that is a personal choice...I'm driving a almost 20 year old car 2002 Lincoln LSE and I try to save $$$ when I can but there is some parts that I stay with OEM or Jaguar S-Type parts ...this has never been one ...I guess I will consider myself lucky

How does Duralast rank? They've got one at a near by parts store.

How does Duralast rank? They've got one at a near by parts store.
I honestly couldn't tell you, i havent used them for any LS parts, I have replaced all of the common LS problem parts, the only ones I had any problems with were the autoshak hubs and i bought some tie rods that broke at the factory weld and sway bar links on the front that have worn out already, those were TRQ from 1Aauto.com
Those came in a complete suspension kit I picked up cheap because its my only vehicle and It was convenient.

Members online

No members online now.
Back