2002 Lincoln LS V8 Sometimes Wont Start/Driver Door Wont Unlock/lock

mihas12

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I've had this car for a few years and while I've spent enough already fixing its breakdowns I'm currently experiencing some odd stuff. So when I use keyless entry, most of the everything is normal and my car starts. However, in the past few weeks something bizarre happens randomly once or twice. I will use my keyless entry and all my doors EXCEPT my driver door wont lock or unlock. I will enter the car by opening the driver side door from the inside through the other doors. When I get in, I will use the button on the panel and the same thing happens, all doors but the driver door respond. EVERYTIME this happens I will go to start my car and everything seems normal (lights/radio go on and driver settings) but my engine does NOT start. Not a crank or anything. Ill begin to rapidly unlock and lock the doors seeing if something is stuck but nothing happens. Even if I do nothing for about 10-20 minutes my car will randomly start when I try the key and then my driver door will then respond to the keyless entry/panel button. I'm thinking maybe its in an theft mode but no alarm sounds and also to note that when my car acts up the driver door will respond if I actually use the key to unlock it. I'm afraid this will happen when I'm running late to something and will be screwed. Any help will be greatly appreciated I just cant spend too much right now to take it to a dealer.

Is there any aftermarket alarm, remote start, or disable device from a car lot?
What is the PATS light doing when the starter won't engage?

PATS light blinks rapidly when this happens. Usually by messing around with unlocking/locking after trying to get my alarm to go off the car will start and then my car door suddenly starts unlocking/locking again which is what confuses me beyond belief. No aftermarket alarm or remote start.

PATS light blinks rapidly when this happens. Usually by messing around with unlocking/locking after trying to get my alarm to go off the car will start and then my car door suddenly starts unlocking/locking again which is what confuses me beyond belief. No aftermarket alarm or remote start.

Next time when the PATS light flashes rapidly, leave the key on and wait till the light slows down. When it slows down, it will flash out a two digit code. Get that code and post it here, and we can help.

Is it as simple as just counting the flashes? Then the two digit code is 21.

Is it as simple as just counting the flashes? Then the two digit code is 21.

I don't have much detail on code 21 (B1213). It says to use a scan tool to put the system into secure mode and reprogram all keys in. Replace any that fail. It says if that doesn't work, call the factory for assistance.

Code 12 (B1232) says that the transceiver is defective.

Have you tried more than one key, and does this happen will all keys?

Yes I tried it both sets of keys. I'll do it again to make sure I got it right because I was rushed but I'm trying to see if this is in any way connect with the power to my door lock.

It shouldn't be, but there's a first time for almost anything...

Alright actually I counted again without being rushed and it flashes 20 times not 21. Is there more info on that one?

Alright actually I counted again without being rushed and it flashes 20 times not 21. Is there more info on that one?

No code 20 (2-0).
Just to be clear here, it flashes out a two digit code and repeats a few times. It will be one or two flashes, then a pause, then 1 to seven (or so) flashes, pause, then repeat. Example: One flash, pause, six flashes, pause, repeat is code 16. Two flashes, pause, one flash, pause, repeat would be code 21. It would be too confusing if they allowed 0x or x0 codes.

I finally decided to further investigate what was wrong since this got to the point where it would only start once or twice a day and never start. I looked up stuff on the circuitry of the car. Based on the fact that it controls the driver door, the PATS transceiver, my right headlight (which I realized wouldn't go on sometimes), as well as other things; The SSP 1 RELAY was the issue after I replaced it yesterday. Huge difference noticed in multiple aspects especially now that my car has started every time.

Members online

No members online now.
Back