2002 Lincoln LS V8 - Check charging system light HELP PLEASE

jchurchill@bondoptics.com

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I am stressing out here over my car - I am hoping someone here might be able to help me with some questions?? I have an 02 Lincoln LS 3.9L (V8) rear wheel drive. It's got 228,000 miles on it (bought it 6 years ago with 98K miles) anyways I have had many issues with this car but my issue now....My "check charging system" light has been coming on and off for a few months now - just replaced my battery yesterday because all of a sudden two days ago my car started acting up. When i gave it gas it wanted to stall out and my headlights flickered - sounds like the alternator? OK so my husband unhooked my battery and then I tried to start the car - it started and stayed running - idiling rough though. I have had SO MANY probs with the coils in this car. I have replaced 4 of the 8 coils over the past 6 years - A week or so again it felt like I had a cylinder misfire and sure enough my check engine light came on but then went off - did this a few times. So we put the new battery in - car started right up ran ALOT better. Noticed it was still idiling a little rough. This was last night. I go to go to work this AM started the car - let it run for about 10 minutes - then drove to work. I noticed there was still def. a loss of power - I stomped on gas and it didn't want to go and didn't go. My check engine light came back on and is flashing. I am going to get it "plugged" in so I can see what codes it's giving on my lunch break today. The guy at the part store said it could be a bad connection somewhere with the altenator - or could be the altenator itself. I won't know till i get it plugged in to get the check engine codes. This car is a nightmare - literally a nightmare. It's a electronical nightmare - driver side heated seat doens't work - none of my sterring wheel controls work (radio vlo. cruise, etc. ) was told that may be a clock spring - no horn either. Right now I just need to fix this car so it will get me back and forth to work.

Thanks everyone!

Jenny
New Hampshire

DCCV for the one sided heat, clockspring for the buttons and horn, maybe alternator (having it tested is a good start), and just change ALL the coils. its easier. once one coil dies, they all seem to follow suit.

flashing Check Engine Light is absolutely a misfire. you need coils and plugs. (yes both, just do them all.)

Clylinder misfires - there's a shocker in a lincoln!? I have - well had an LS today till I was just told the A-frame is rotted out - almost ready to snap - yeah it's an 02 with 229K miles. That car had MISFIRE after misfire OMG it was HELL there a few years back - actaully had a clyinder # 5 misfire - alt. junk and cranskshaft sensor bad - cats clogged - NO horn or conrtols in wheel like ur's, driver side window broke and driver side heated seat broke - ate up wheel bearings - did a lower ball joint assy, had no heat for 3 months last winter - I live in NH, no one could figure it out - one guy finally did - worked at Ford for 30 years - it was my dual coolant control valve - 600 bucks there parts and labor - oh yeah and REAR WHEEL drive SUCKS in new england .

Members online

Back