2002 lincoln LS V8 Alternator help a$ap

bootyklap

New LVC Member
Reaction score
hey so i'm changing the alternator on my 2002 LS V8, taking the alternator out was a pain in the booty, took me about a hour. Need tips/advice on installing it, igot the alternator in place, just need advice on how to line it up with the holes so ican bolt them into place, the top bolt holes are struggling to put into place, please help me.

I don't recall any special trick to that part. The whole thing is/was a major pain compared to rest of the cars that I have had.

So the alternator is underneath the car, and the top bolt is super tight fit, iwas thinking ishould get the bottom bolts lined up and tightened than i'll probs get a piece of wood and knock it into place with a hammer, shitty part is its raining and idon't have a helper so if you have any tips or advice, they'd really help, thank you.

Hey so ibolted in the 2 bottom bolts, loosely, than got a piece of wood and a hammer. Than tapped them into place carefully!

Hey so ibolted in the 2 bottom bolts, loosely, than got a piece of wood and a hammer. Than tapped them into place carefully!
The money you think you're saving isn't worth the headache I suggest next time you bring the car to a shop ...do you have a lift? I'm sure if you do/did it would make this job 100% easier...I don't have a lift so wouldn't even think about changing/replacing the alternator on a Lincoln LS...all my best and hope you have success

Come on, all you need is ramps or jack stands for this. It's a major pain, but that also means the labor charge would be fairly high. I hated doing it, but it was worth the savings.

yeah, i'd rather do it my self and get my hands dirty than let to bring it to some shop. it was a pain in the ass, not gonna lie

I haven't had to do this myself, but I've seen it recommended that you flip the top bolt and nut around. As-built, the bolt goes in through the front (pulley side) and can't easily be pulled out when the engine is actually in the car. Put the bolt in through the back and save some of the headache

The top bolt comes out just fine. It's long, so you have to wedge things around a little, but it's not a big deal. I think coming from the back might be worse.
The top mount uses bushings that squeeze the alternator housing for a tight fit and precise alignment. You can wedge them back apart a little while the alternator is out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back