2002 Lincoln LS V6 LSE transmission shift problem

Itzyaboy Jo

LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm a make this one clear as possible:

My LS shifter does NOT engage ANY gears on the regular auto shift side of the shifter, however, it DOES get ALL gears with no slip, skip, or stutter on the Select Shift side of the shifter. What could be causing this problem?
I've been told a solenoid or overdrive sprag could be the issue.

Mine is doing the same thing except it seems to kick into gear but doesn't actually GO.

Well it has to be engaging "Drive" in order for the SST to work. And I think it is safe to say that if all the gears engage properly in SST mode... you don't have a problem with the sprag clutch. You would notice some odd noises as it shifted, and probably some funky shifts.

Have you noticed any unusual symptoms leading up to this?

Mine shifted fine but occasionally said E check trans gear selection data error. The first time it did it I had bottomed out really bad getting on a fairy. Was hoping the sensor was loose and not making a good connection but that isn't the case

Well... it would be best to try and retrieve any codes for the transmission. If that's not possible, you could try a shifter cable adjustment... and replacement of the Transmission Range Sensor, (also know as "reverse switch" or "neutral safety switch"). The part number is 5W4Z-7F293-AA, (last I knew anyway). They run about $40 shipped from Tasca or Ford Parts Giant.

The range sensor is a bit of a PITA to change. It's only one connector and 2 bolts, but there isn't much room to do the work. The trans has to be in neutral when you pull the sensor and install the new one. The sensor is "keyed" to a slot on the selector shaft of the transmission, so need to make sure you get it on straight... and don't rotate it. If you do happen to rotate it by accident you can re-align the marks on the sensor. Once you get it on... double check the mark alignment and tighten the bolts.

You'll see what I'm talking about when you pull the old one off... and look at the new one when you pull it out of the box.

Members online

No members online now.
Back