2002 Lincoln ls v6 Codes P0136 and B1287 Need help

Hood

LVC Member
Reaction score
Bought the car 2 days ago, the first day the ats light came on and now it stays on, looks like a car skidding. and yesterday when i was almost home the check engine light came on. Now the car runs drives idles shifts fine, but both lights are on and have me worried a lot. Today i went to Advanced Auto and used there scanner and the 2 codes that came up are P0136 Bank 1 sensor 2, and the 2nd code is B1287. i took a picture of both codes so i would remember them. Can anyone help me out? Any solutions or something i may try?

The P0136 is an after CAT H2o sensor error, try resetting it and see if it comes back, most the time they read just outside of spec or not at all and will store a code, it's reading insufficient, I've had that one before, replaced nothing and it hasn't come back.

disconnect your battery terminals on the battery in the trunk. reconnect 30min later, run some good fuel cleaner through the tank.

let's see if your codes return immediately or not.

P0136 Ford - O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 2
Replacing the Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 usually takes care of the problem.
The P0136 code is set when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects that the rear O2 sensor signal voltage is out of range for an extended period of time.
If the oxygen in the exhaust gas increases, the air-fuel ratio becomes Lean. The ECM interprets Lean when the HO2S voltage is below 0.45 V. If the oxygen in the exhaust gas decreases, the air-fuel ratio becomes Rich. The ECM interprets Rich when the HO2S voltage is above 0.45 V.

Posting the same thing in a bunch of threads is likely to get you less help. Why don't you stick to this one?

You need to get more information to get any more real help.

I really don't know what to say about the B1287 code. Servo Motor Potentiometer Air Intake Left Circuit Short To Ground

On the P0136 you will have to do some troubleshooting and testing. You need to check the wiring to the passenger O2 monitor, visually and with a meter. You can try switching the passenger and driver's side O2 monitors to verify if it is or isn't the sensor itself.

If you have a car symbol and not a tire symbol, then you do have AdvanceTrac. If that light is on, but the ABS light is not on (but does come on briefly at start up), then it is probably the steering angle sensor, the yaw sensor, or a misconfigured module. You need to use a better code scanner to find out.

Sorry, just trying to figure all of this out.. I will leave the car sit till i can get it to a ford shop and have them run it for me, then i will post exactly what they say. Then i guess i do have advance trac, cause its a car not a tire. What do you mean by the 02 monitor? I will switch them, but not sure what ya mean by them.. sorry guys please don't give up on me. ill do the work and thank every as i go, just need your knowledge.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.. Time for work.

The two oxygen sensors on the exhaust between the engine and the catalytic converters are generally called O2 sensors. The two oxygen sensors on the exhaust after the catalytic converters are generally called monitors. Either way, they are almost exactly the same thing. The last two are called monitors because the information that they provide doesn't change the way the engine is controlled. All they are used for is to monitor the catalytic converters to see if they are working correctly. They cause the check engine light to turn on if they are not, but they don't change anything about the way the engine runs, unlike the first two sensors.

Makes sense, the car runs fine. just that the light is on. Ill give that a go here tomorrow. The weather is terrible here where i am at and i have no garage.

Members online

No members online now.
Back