2002 Lincoln Ls Random start

1jerodjones

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I have a 2002 Lincoln Ls V-6 and you need to forgive me if this is already covered here but sometimes when I go to start it it will not crank over. Sometimes I can wait for 15 or so minutes and then it will fire and sometimes it takes longer. I'm hoping by now someone might know precisely what it is. Let me know if you know anything thanks.

It's been covered a lot. First things first, what is the PATS light doing when this happens?

+1 ^ never gets old Loud1

jerod, they want to know what the red light on the top of the dash near the glass blinks out at ya when you go to start it. (saved another google search)

Just what it normally does when it starts. On then off. No sign of a problem till you turn the key and it doesn't crank.

Just what it normally does when it starts. On then off. No sign of a problem till you turn the key and it doesn't crank.

So you are saying there is no sound from the starter at all and the PATS light is on but not flashing?
It could be a lot of things, but I'd check the starter relay first, then I'd test to see if it is the starter. Do you have a voltmeter and can you get to the starter under the car when it is in the non-starting state? Measurement between ground (metal of the engine) and the "B" terminal of the starter and between ground and the "S" terminal of the starter while someone holds the key in the start position would tell you a lot about what's going on.

THe car only messes up when I leave the house right. It eventually always starts. I have started it a million times in the driveway and it never messes up. I've switched out the battery and the relay. Haven't checked at the starter when it won't start yet for power.

THe car only messes up when I leave the house right. It eventually always starts. I have started it a million times in the driveway and it never messes up. I've switched out the battery and the relay. Haven't checked at the starter when it won't start yet for power.

Is it usually when the engine is still pretty hot (not long after you stopped somewhere) that it won't start?

I do understand how hard it can be to get something to fail at the right place and time...

A little more clarity, please. When it won't start, does the car sound like it's starting normally, but the car won't start? Does the starter click instead of turn the engine over? Does the starter do nothing at all? We would need to know exactly what the car is doing when it won't start because the symptoms would point to different things. For example, I would suspect a fuel pump/pressure regulator issue if it tries to start normally but doesn't when hot, a battery with a failing but not failed cell if it just clicks when hot (by the time the car cools down the cells have equalized) or a bad starter solenoid if the starter does nothing when hot.

I have the 01V6, I would believe this problem to be the IAC valve on the throttle body is stuck/bad/dirty. remove the two bolts and connector, clean out the IAC valve, reinstall. I've replaced mine 3 times now. symptoms - stalls, won't start, but it will crank. if yiour fuel pump is failing it will crank but won't start, then start once in a while.

Last edited:
I have replaced the IAC valve. When it won't start the I turn the key to the on position to engage the starter but nothing happens the starter does not engage. I've switched the battery, clockspring, the relay. Made sure that the battery cable has good connection behind the left front tire. Replaced fuel filter. Like I said if the car is cold it will start every time.

The clockspring is not a factor in starting or running the engine.
While it could be something else, it does sound like the starter itself is pretty likely to be the problem. I'd at least check and make sure the cables attached to the starter are tight and aren't corroded.

I agree, starter issue. I doubt it's a cable to the starter issue, as that would cause slow starts and clicks at time as the connection varies, and it would have problems when cold. A heat soaked solenoid will cause a starter to not work when hot. You can replace just the solenoid but it's a lot more trouble and there isn't that much of a cost savings, plus you still have an old starter. A starter is a wear item anyway, just like the alternator or water pump and will eventually fail

Sounds good. I have looked at it a while back and the solenoid had a lot of engine grease, oil, and road grime on it. I sprayed it off as best I could but access isn't real good so yea I will pull the starter and solenoid and replace. Thanks for all the help. You guys are awesome.

THe car only messes up when I leave the house right.

What happens when you leave the house left instead?

sorry.gif

Members online

No members online now.
Back