2002 Lincoln ls 3.9L V8 frequently wont start

Dajon Porter

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a 2002 Lincoln LS 3.9 L V8 sometimes start and sometimes wont start. The no start problem is more frequent now. I installed a brand new starter two days ago on June 8th 2019 and I installed a brand new battery with higher cranking amperage. Battery cables are okay, battery terminals are brand new. Aternator was put in 3years ago and is still charging fine when the car is running and according to the owners manual the function of the car alarm system is normal. After I turn the key to the start position, all everything on the dash goes completely off and the starter wont turn over at all. There is absolutely no sound at all. No clicking sound, nothing. The vehicle has full power when this is happening and headlights dont dim when turning the key. I'm tired of spending money somebody please help!

15601713731076893381968319109944.jpg

Why throw parts at it? Some simple checks with a meter would let you know where the problem isn't.
What's the PATS light doing when the starter won't activate?

You don't state the milage... which could be helpful. Either way... first thing i would try is swapping the starter relay with another one, and see if that fixes the problem.

I have a problem with my 2003 LS doing this. I don't have a garage and when it gets close to below freezing, I have issues where my battery is drained. I was telling some guys at work, one guy's nephew had issues and put some crazy battery in his car that was meant for when you have a crazy sound system, he always had enough amps to start the car after that. I couldn't figure out which battery to get to do this.

Another guy asked me about my ride into work, it's literally 5 minutes, he was saying that it probably takes 20+ minutes of driving to recharge the battery after you start, (this was cold weather issue). I noticed this happens on normal temperature day, if I start the car often and stay in the car listening to the radio without the engine running. Same thing, not enough amps to turn it over. I always unplug electronics from the cig lighter before I turn off the engine now too.

Maybe you are draining your battery and not having enough amps to turn it over? If I do run electronics without the engine on for a long time, I start the car up and just sit idling for 20 minutes. No more issue.

I made an account today just to answer this! I'm a long time lurker... dealt with this issue for many years. Had to say this...

Good luck!

... I always unplug electronics from the cig lighter before I turn off the engine now too...

The power ports turn off about 20 minutes after you turn the key off. They come back on when you unlock it or open the door or trunk.
If the correct battery (with the vent connection) can't handle a few hours of playing the radio (key in the accessory position, not the run position), then you have some electrical system problems.

EDIT: Oops, this in incorrect. I forgot that it only applied to my two, which I modified years ago.

Last edited:
The power ports turn off about 20 minutes after you turn the key off. They come back on when you unlock it or open the door or trunk.

I didn't think that sounded right for my 02, so I tested it. I plugged in a charger with a light and popped the trunk. 20 or 30 minutes after the last action, the trunk light turned off and the charger continued to be powered. I know the light in the charger turns off instantly when unplugged, so it wasn't just residual cap power. So maybe that's just a Gen 2 feature?

I also thought it was a very common recommendation to hook up 9-12v to the cig lighters in the event of a closed trunk/dead battery/no key to pop the trunk because they were always "on"

So...
Apparently, I am losing it! You are correct for both gens. I forgot that I rewired mine to do that. Sorry.

What'd you wire to? I'd consider that for one port or for an extra port

What'd you wire to? I'd consider that for one port or for an extra port

I'll have to check (been too long), but it was one of the SSP feeds available at the cabin fuse box.
I also replaced the cigarette lighter with a dual USB charger, and added an additional dual USB charger (same switched circuit) for the rear seats, just below the two rear AC vents.

Members online

Back