2002 Lincoln LS 3.0 V6 FEM module

bluefish

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got a replacement FEM (front electronics module) for my 2002 Lincoln LS 3.0 V6.

I've read that you have to first upload the code from the old FEM to a diagnostic tool, then download that code to the replacement FEM.

If the replacement is from the exact same year and model of Lincoln LS... is this still necessary?

I'm trying to save $ (obviously) by doing this myself.

Thanks!

Dosen't matter afaik. That's like using the key from my LS on your LS, regardless if it's the same year it won't work due to the fact there are different codes programmed onto them.

No, as long as the FEM is from the same configuration car, you should be fine. There's no security involved with that module, so it's not like the PATS issue with the cluster or the PCM.

hey guys. Tried to swap out the FEM this weekend and it as a bear of a job. I managed to unscrew the bottom 2 bolts holding the FEM but the other 2 are out of sight and blocked by more electronics and wires.
Couldn't see where the extra electronics were attached so couldn't remove it and thus couldn't get to the remaining FEM bolts. Also, the plastic wire connectors going into the FEM were hell getting out. Old FEM is still in there and high beams still stuck "on". Is there a trick in removing the old FEM? Thanks!

Remove trim.
Pull carpet back.
Unbolt aux junction box and pull it aside.
Disconnect connectors (you have to squeeze the tabs in the correct places) and unbolt FEM.

Remove trim.
Pull carpet back.
Unbolt aux junction box and pull it aside.
Disconnect connectors (you have to squeeze the tabs in the correct places) and unbolt FEM.

I'll try again. I looked at the diagram and realized there are only 3 bolts on the FEM and not 4. Hopefully I'll get it this time.

Thanks joegr!

Here's an update. I replaced the FEM but it didn't fix my "high beams stuck on" problem. Ended up getting a used multi-function switch on ebay and put that in. It fixed it. Thanks again guys for the help.

No, as long as the FEM is from the same configuration car, you should be fine. There's no security involved with that module, so it's not like the PATS issue with the cluster or the PCM.

What's the deal with the cluster? Gauge cluster? Doesn't adrs.t sell them to replace your own with different colors?

The PATS module is in the cluster. The PATS and the PCM exchange secret keys, so that they know if either one is changed out. It's a security measure. With the right scan tool, you can "marry" the PCM and the new cluster (/w PATS) together. You also need to have at least two chip keys to do this. As a security measure (because the bad guys have tools too) there is a built-in ten minute delay in the procedure.

Members online

Back