2002 Lincoln ls 3.0 lt. V6 knocking and I shouldn't have answered...

1Ratchet2

LVC Member
Reaction score
I would like to start with I appreciate the help and advice I received from a prior question in regards to the same 2002 Lincoln LS 3.0 L V6. I was having a heck of a Time finding parts for timing it. Long story short got that job done.
Received the car for next to nothing and enjoy tinkering. It had a timing issue and a no start issue from a dying battery. Prior owner and good friend had the car at that time ( he's a whiz on the computer but not much for the mechanical end of things). The vehicle got towed and the driver of the tow truck should not be driving a tow truck and picked the vehicle up from the front thinking he was going to tow it to my friend's house. Upon quickly realizing he had a rear wheel drive he switched ends. Unknown to my friend who owned the car... The tow truck driver put pressure on the oil pan enough to cause about a 2 inch fracture on the bottom of the pan from the center pin on the tow truck lift arms. My buddy let the car sit and was getting rides to work and then needed to use it to get to work one day and thought he'd give it a try. The battery was being charged and the car started.( I did not get a chance to look at the car before everything hit the fan, so to say. Upon asking it didn't have any drivability issues before the later mentioned drive to work and back. When I received the car the timing chain was slapping due to bad tensioners, was slacked and had jumped a couple teeth. After some form questions and a little research I was really hoping, wishful thinking playing a role, it was just a timing chain noise as it was coming from right underneath the valve cover on the driver side. Or at least sounds like that's where it's coming from with a stethoscope being tried throughout the engine.)
He drove it to work and back. About a mile before getting home he noticed it idling "a little rough" and a "slight knock or slap". About a half a mile from home the knock or slap got louder and he was looking for a new vehicle so finished driving it home. After getting a new vehicle he asked me if I wanted it which I said yes why not... Was not sure what the hell I was getting myself into and now I'm not sure how far I'm willing to go but interested in hearing what others have to say because I'm thinking bearing, without dropping the pan or anything other than taking on the timing for something to Tinker with keeping my fingers crossed. I know probably not the best idea. Anyways... I live where the weather hurts your face and is cold and did not expect to have a pain in the ass finding the timing parts so just wanted to get it back together before moving it into the garage. Therefore I did not take anything further apart than the depth I was already in. In hindsight I should have put it in the garage and drop the pan. Trying to give the best history I can and I apologize for being a little long-winded. End of the project for the timing it isn't throwing any codes anymore and the timing is perfect. Being that deep I put in a new oil pump, water pump, thermostat, coil packs, plugs, a new hydraulic line for the fan (because that old one wasn't coming out and that's what the dremel is for) and new gaskets of course. The intake and valves were pretty darn carbed up and to be honest the valves still are.
Getting to the point you have already figured out I still have a knock. It's a little lesser as I'm not hearing the chain now but it's certainly there right upon startup. It's a knock that completely sounds like it's coming from under the valve cover on the driver side only but I know noises can be deceiving and I'm looking for any input, advice or if you would just like to razz me and give me a little grief for not doing some due diligence that is okay as well. I have a good sense of humor, ha! It was a project to keep the mind occupied as I lost my father a little over a year ago and a few close relatives and it's been a bit of a struggle.
I'll end my long-winded post with thank yous for taking the time to read all this let alone reaching out with a response and any thoughts that could be beneficial even if you think it's a bearing but really wondering if there's something I'm not thinking of as this isn't my day-to-day thing it was just something to do that I haven't done in over 15 years. Thank you!
Almost forgot to add that the split in the oil pan isn't that severe. It's a split but it didn't go deep enough to separate it the whole length although when he got home with the car he had to add 3 quarts of oil. Other than that routine maintenance was done with oil changes and he was never low. He had the car for almost 3 years. No problems, outside of a broken door handle internally and a window regulator not working. Hopefully I have everything otherwise feel free to ask of course that's what I'm here for right

How does the dipstick look for oil? Any metal particles visible?
No metal. When I had the timing cover off I changed the oil pump. When I had the oil pump out I could reach down pretty well in the pan and slopped around in there and didn't come up with anything that would cause concern. Don't get me wrong I didn't send in a sample of the oil or anything but in my limited experience and from what I hear and read I should have had something if it was a bearing. I'm also well aware of that not every case has the same and it sure could be just not seeing anything. I do plan on getting it in the garage where I have heat and getting the pan off. I don't know if it could be anything in the head. That might sound silly to the educated but that goes a little bit out of my scope as I only did it once in school about 18 years ago. I went and got an associate degree back then just to play mechanic in the driveway. It was never applied on a day to day basis to this extent at all.

Can you put some spaces and paragraphs?
Very difficult to read!

The bad oil pump may have starved the top engine of oil.

You may want to check the cam lobes and followers for scoring marks. If so... the cam bearings might be bad. That would explain the knocking/clattering in the top of the engine.

I would hook up a pressure gauge to the engine and check the oil pressure. If out of spec (low) the engine probably needs a rebuild. I forget what the in spec oil pressure should be.

Members online

No members online now.
Back