2002 Ford Thunderbird questions

Dave

LVC Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help in advance

I'm trying to fix an overheating problem on my daughters 2002 Ford Thunderbird with a 3.9 engine. After reading quite a bit I decided to replace some things. The problem I am currently having is with the hydraulic fan actuator. I used a T40 bit and I was able to loosen and remove the actuator but it seems as though about half of it may still be in the pump. When I look at a new actuator it is longer than the old one that I removed. I see threads sticking out of the pump so I think the old one has screwed onto those threads initially . Any advice or direction as to how to remedy this is appreciated.
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw these posts earlier and they are actually why I think some of the actuator is still in the pump. I’m not 100% on this so I’m trying to get an idea as to how to come up with a solution . If the threads belong to the pump I don’t want to screw them up . But I’m tempted to screw the actuator back on the threads and try prying a little harder

I saw these posts earlier and they are actually why I think some of the actuator is still in the pump. I’m not 100% on this so I’m trying to get an idea as to how to come up with a solution . If the threads belong to the pump I don’t want to screw them up . But I’m tempted to screw the actuator back on the threads and try prying a little harder

It might help if you posted a picture of the part of the actuator that you removed.
You will get more views and more help if you make a thread in the LS section.
Lincoln LS

36FFADA3-A18F-4013-89D6-AA180AC7DF9E.jpeg
C60F9167-4DC5-4155-A31E-746D6FA40A7A.jpeg
B52BA571-28D8-4375-B550-40254FE57E6A.jpeg
The first pic is where the t40 went to remove
The second pic is what is left of the actuator off the pump and it shows where it screwed onto the part that is left in the pump.
The third pic is a pic of a new actuator

Thanks for that. Is there a way to transfer this thread to the led thread that yu are aware of since I have now added the pics and info ?

Apparently, there is.
Yeah, that's not the whole actuator that you have removed, just the coil. The valve part must still be on the pump.

Is there a good way to take it out that you are aware of?

I haven't had to do it, so I can only go by what I have seen posted here.
Besides the one who filed a slot into it, I think that someone else hammered a socket over it.

I wish I knew how far the threads on it go into the pump and if they don’t go in any further , what the heck holds the rest inside ?
Going to stop by a dealer in the morning for any info they might have .
Thanks for your interest .

Members online

No members online now.
Back