2002 continental shocks and struts

chappyviii

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just got a 2002 Lincoln continental. I have done A LOT to the car the past couple months... Polish/wax, full tube up, transmission cooler with fan hooked up to tstat/relay, oil pan gasket, o2 sensors etc etc along with multiple cosmetic upgrades.

Next on my list is struts and rear shocks. My continental has the available adjustable suspension. I would like to keep the oem set up but I can no longer find the left Motorcraft strut anymore and
The last time I checked, it will cost around $900 to stay with the oem setup. If any of you know the part number for the left strut can you please share it? For those who went with regular struts, what is your option and experience with them? They range from $100-$150 for the front set. Amazing deal but..like they always say...you get what you pay for.

Any input and advice is appreciated.

Hi and welcome to LVC.

The MotorCraft adjustable front left strut part number is:
1F3Z5W311A

Rock auto's front suspension kits both passive and active: 2002 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL 4.6L V8 Strut | RockAuto
Rock auto is a good source for parts at very good prices.
I still have my OEM suspension so I can't comment on the differences. However what I can tell you is, some members noticed a little bit more bumpy minor rough feel. I guess what it comes down to is how much you would like to spend.

When you get a chance post some pics of your car. Hope this helps you.

I just checked multiple websites using that part number and I am getting nothing. I guess they just don't have them in stock anymore. When I got the car a month or so ago rockauto had the left and right now they only have the right.

What is the best aftermarket strut to use? I can only find cheap Chinese knock off brands.

Thanks in advance for your help

the front is not an air suspension so there's really no difference converting it to a passive shock, you just don't have the option to adjust the firmness of the steering. just disconnect the wiring and replace with a 3ohm load resistor and put in any brand of struts (I prefer belsteins over monroes)

I converted my 03 navigator to conventional since the ride height sensors for those are POS, for the age of the car the difference doesn't matter between the 2 (other factors besides the suspension... such as a bushings and mounts)

My continental has the adjustable ride. Plush, normal and firm. I want to keep that set up but it's too much money.

Only other struts I can find are cheap knock offs. I am going to see if I can use naked Taurus struts then reuse my old coils.

How about strut masters front struts.....for 2 it costs $409.00

I don't think you can buy them separately. I did a search through every website I can get my hands on, Strut Masters seems to be the only one I can find who has both front struts as a package instead of it including the rear springs and shocks.

Suncore industries has a quick install complete strut assemblies for the front. Bad part is it excludes electronic suspensions.

1995-2002 Lincoln Continental Front Air Suspension Conversion Kit FB2FB - Strutmasters

From what I read and reviews I believe the front struts can still retain the electronics that you want for the steering. If they can't do that then do what lincolnelite suggested with the load resistors.

So the steering and suspension settings are tied in? I figured they were two separate systems. So if you put on the resistors in the car will perform as normal with no issues?

To be honest I am not a huge fan of strut masters or suncore. In a couple weeks I'm going to get some Taurus struts just to see if they will fit then go from there. You can get the taurus' in Motorcraft, Monroe, kyb..etc etc

From what lincolnelite has stated I had to re-read a couple posts, if you put resistors on they would turn off the settings. So if you put resistors in the car won't have the settings that you select. It would turn those off if you go resistor route.

Here is the write-up he had posted on Facebook:

I don't blame you if you don't like certain brands....let me know if the Taurus struts work. I'll keep that in mine too.

Members online

Back