2002 CARTIER NO START

BUCK

New LVC Member
Reaction score
75k Miles, ran great - Suddenly starter spins but no Fuel at rail - Towed her home - Installed new Fuel Pump - Still no Fuel at Rail & FINALLY noticed that PATS lite was blinking fast UNlike the PATS lite in my other 5 Fords & Lincolns - Realized I had changed Fuel Pump "just for fun" - PATS code 16 - Changed PATS Transciever - Tried both keys - PATS code 16 - No change - Checked EVERY Fuse, EVERY Relay... all good - "Scanner cant connect to PCM " - Checked for Power & Grounds at DLC Connector... all good - In effort to defeat PATS I changed ECM to 2002 P71 ECM as they have no VID & VIN's are blank - No change

... I am NOT a "happy camper".

16 means that the PATS module is not communicating with the PCM. Often this is because the PCM is not being powered (bad relay, corroded contacts, bad wiring, ...), but it could also be an issue on the data bus. I'd put the correct PCM back in and do some real troubleshooting instead. Forscan could be helpful here.

16 means that the PATS module is not communicating with the PCM. Often this is because the PCM is not being powered (bad relay, corroded contacts, bad wiring, ...), but it could also be an issue on the data bus. I'd put the correct PCM back in and do some real troubleshooting instead. Forscan could be helpful here.

- Checked EVERY Fuse, EVERY Relay... all good - "Scanner cant connect to PCM " - Checked for Power & Grounds at DLC Connector... all good - Changed PATS Transciever - Tried both keys

- From what I see a bad HEC could be cause right_____?

Last edited:
Why do I only have 6 Volts at Fuse Holder 20 in the Underhood Box with Switch in On position & in Start position ? - Labeled in handbook as INJECTOR & PCM - I am PRAYING thats my problem_______?

- I have 12V at the PCM Relay in same Box but that Voltage comes fm the big Fuse in same Box - I tested ALL Relays in Horn slot to make sure they are ALL good.

I now have 12V at Fuse 20 & ALL Fuses - Have Power at ALL relays - Have power & grounds at DLC - Scanner cant connect to PCM, No Start, no Fuel pressure - no PATS issue as I have p71 ECM.

I now have 12V at Fuse 20 & ALL Fuses - Have Power at ALL relays - Have power & grounds at DLC - Scanner cant connect to PCM, No Start, no Fuel pressure - no PATS issue as I have p71 ECM.

Maybe you should put the correct PCM in, marry the PATS, and then try it.

Maybe you should put the correct PCM in, marry the PATS, and then try it.

Yes I am awaiting original PCM back fm Guru who i had check it out... BTW I only went to P71 ECM after a new Transponder & Refurbished Hybrid Electronic Cluster did'nt cure my PATS code 16 - Most opinions say 2002 P71 ECM PCM is plug & play & easiest PATS workaround.

ALSO - My factory manual telling me to check for continuity between DLC & PCM Connector & DLC to another Connector under hood - I'll report, THANX.

AND... Yesterday I go to start this 1987 Supra I bought 5 years ago that I have'nt started in a YEAR & it cranks IMMEDIATELY.

THEN One day later went to start my dads old 1994 Dodge caravan that has been laying up for a year... fires right up.

Last edited:
Re: Scanner cant connect to pcm / ecm
Well here's what it was boys... Once upon a Time I had a PATS problem (bad Transducer) BUT I failed to notice fast blinking PATS lite so I FIRST changed fuel Pump for nothing - When I changed Fuel Pump I cut the Fuel Tank Pressure sensor wires & spliced back with Spade Lugs as I could not get to the darn Connector tucked in over Tank behind Tire - I failed miserably in making sure that my new Spade lugs could not short out against each other - If I had it to do over again instead of cutting all 3 of those wires at same point better to stagger the cuts so as to stagger the Spade lugs AND use only Insulated Spade Lugs OR even better use an Insulated 3 Plug Connector - SO>>> when I finally noticed Blinky PATS lite & replaced Transducer I still had No Start because I had created a Short in the 5V Engine Sensor Circuit fm PCM to the point I only had 1.6V at TPS instead of 5V & when PCM sees that its in No Start mode - With the help of P71 Guru who maintains DEA Training vehicles he pointed me in the right direction focusing on the NO Communication with PCM fault - FYI on 2002 if u have CEL with Ign Switch in Run U HAVE POWER TO PCM ~! -

Members online

Back