2001 V8 - transmission delay & slight steering vibration

mustang84

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here. I bought a 2001 LS V8 earlier this summer...a one-owner with 80,000 miles, gently driven, and well-maintained. It's been great so far, but I have noticed ever since I've had it (and more often lately) that the transmission has a slight delay when shifting into reverse or drive, and shifting into 2nd and 3rd gear is a little harsh. The delay into reverse or drive is only about a second or two...nothing like what I have read with some others who are saying up to 5 seconds.

I knew about the LS's transmission issues beforehand and found out that the previous owner changed the tranny fluid at 30K and 60K, which put me more at ease before I bought it. After checking with the F-L-M dealer where he purchased it they have no record of the 2001 reflash TSB being done. The valve covers and the solenoid were replaced by the dealership shortly before I bought it.

So I guess I'm just wondering if a reflash will solve the problem, or if there's anything else I need to be aware of. I'm assuming the reflash should be free since it was a Ford-issued TSB. The hesitating shifts at 2nd and 3rd gear are mostly just a minor annoyance rather than being anything severe.

Also, one other thing is that the steering wheel vibrates slightly at speeds greater than 70 mph. And it's not constant either...the vibration comes and goes. Does anybody have any idea what's up with it?

Everything else on this car has been flawless.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah I have an '01 also and the car kinda jumps when I go from P to R or from R to D.

But it only does that when I first take it out for the day,

Members online

No members online now.
Back