2001 LS, whats the best/cheapest in-dash radio/navigation/MP3/CD unit?

Kirk Washer

LVC Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, whats a good option for a 2001 ls as far as in-dash navi/radio/cd/mp3 units? Im not looking to spend a ton. Thanks guys

That's a highly subjective question, and "best" and "cheapest" don't go together.
Are you asking for the cheapest of the best units, or the best of the cheapest units? It may help if you could give a price range and what features you want and what your expectations are.

crutchfield.com <-- go research.

Sometimes I wish I was the type to ask a question like this, get an answer, and be content. But nooooooo, I have to waste hours across a few days (... or weeks) clicking all the different options and ranges and reading all the reviews for the my top 10 choices. Then I read reviews on other sites. I spent 2 months shopping for a radio, a month shopping for subs (with only 3 options to choose from, I might add), and I'm still shopping for an amp.

this would such a better question if you gave a range, or options needed.

so nav systems...

the best...

Alpine INE-W957HD

Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX

Kenwood eXcelon DNX891HD

none of which are cheap...

(relatively) cheap (or at least as cheap as I would go...)

Pioneer AVIC-5000NEX or this years... Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX

JVC KW-NT810HDT

Kenwood DNX572BH

stay far far away from the real cheap (and nowhere near good by any standards)

Boss
Power Acoustik
Farenheit
Pyle
Boss
Dual
Jensen
and Boss

(the list of sh!t is not limited to only these brands)

also if you have a iPhone, you can look for a radio that offers Apple CarPlay and instead of having to have expensive maps and hardware in the unit, it will use the resources from the phone (GPS and data)

likewise, if you have an Android phone (running 5.0 lollipop) you can look for a radio that has Android Auto (sh!t is so new, there are not a lot of options yet)

honestly, its all gonna come down to price... if your trying to do this for a few hundred bucks all in, forget about it... six or seven hundred bucks not really a problem getting something really good. but if you actually want something considered the "best", your easily taking $1k+

Forget about in-dash nav and concentrate on getting the best Audio for your money. Then download Waze to your smartphone.

That's a highly subjective question, and "best" and "cheapest" don't go together.
Are you asking for the cheapest of the best units, or the best of the cheapest units? It may help if you could give a price range and what features you want and what your expectations are.

Yeah, sorry. I guess I should say Im looking for the best VALUE.

so nav systems...

the best...

Alpine INE-W957HD

Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX

Kenwood eXcelon DNX891HD

none of which are cheap...

(relatively) cheap (or at least as cheap as I would go...)

Pioneer AVIC-5000NEX or this years... Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX

JVC KW-NT810HDT

Kenwood DNX572BH

stay far far away from the real cheap (and nowhere near good by any standards)

Boss
Power Acoustik
Farenheit
Pyle
Boss
Dual
Jensen
and Boss

(the list of sh!t is not limited to only these brands)

also if you have a iPhone, you can look for a radio that offers Apple CarPlay and instead of having to have expensive maps and hardware in the unit, it will use the resources from the phone (GPS and data)

likewise, if you have an Android phone (running 5.0 lollipop) you can look for a radio that has Android Auto (sh!t is so new, there are not a lot of options yet)

honestly, its all gonna come down to price... if your trying to do this for a few hundred bucks all in, forget about it... six or seven hundred bucks not really a problem getting something really good. but if you actually want something considered the "best", your easily taking $1k+

Thanks man. Im not looking for the best. Im just looking for something capable of providing GPS, MP3, and radio that is cost efficient.

I dont know much about CarPlay. Ill have to look it up and read about it. Thanks for the options listed. This helps alot. Any other recommmendations are welcomed. I dont want to customize the car or anything. I just want to make it look like it came off the assembly line. Except for the radio/gps/mp3 unit im putting in. Adding this unit just upgrades it with the times.

Forget about in-dash nav and concentrate on getting the best Audio for your money. Then download Waze to your smartphone.

Thats another thing I need. I dont really want a subwoofer or anything. I just want some good speakers. The speakers right now or ok, just base. Its the alpine package that was installled that year (2001)

Members online

No members online now.
Back