2001 LS V8 rear alignment issues

ele1432

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Good evening team,
Hope everyone is doing well. I have a very unique situation with the rear alignment of my 2001 Lincoln LS. I have replaced the entire suspension from front to back. The only thing that I didn't replace with the springs. When I installed all the parts on the rear and put the car on the ground. You guessed it, the tire kicks out(this is on both sides of the car but it's really bad on the driver's side). It kicks out soo bad that you can see it with the naked eye. Imagine those Honda where their camber is soo far gone you can slide a stack of playing cards under the tire but never lift the car up, That's me,well almost but it's very visible. I have done extensive research on this issue. I have used Google, this forum, my friends, and the alignment shop. Everyone is scratching their head. On this site, I did find something interesting. Perhaps I have a broken coil spring but I doubt it because what are the chances of having 2 broken springs at the same time? I'm going thru a set of rear tires every week (I'm down to one car, life is good right now). Does anyone have thoughts on this issue ? And I'm sorry if folks are like "This issue has already been discussed". I have seen the posting but I didn't see the resolution. Thanks, team. Oh I have brought all the parts from Rockauto and used the Mevotech brand (I didn't find negative or positive reviews, thus I went for it)

Have you done any comparison (dimensionally) between the stock suspension parts and the aftermarket ones? Maybe some of them are just wrong?

The lower your car sits, the worse this gets. I had Eibach lowering springs for years, it was pretty rough, but not eating tires rough. Sounds like you should check ride height and be sure you are not too low, either with lowering springs or worn-out springs.

Broken spring should be easy to see... since they are captured by the shock assembly.

It's usually the left rear spring tail that breaks... at the bottom. It's a known issue... caused by alot of agressive offramp driving.... and road salt.

Worn lower control arm bushings contribute to it also.

Thanks to everyone's response on this subject. I'm going to find some stock springs and replace them. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm running into availability issues when using Oreilys, Adance Auto and Autozone. Thanks

Pull a couple rear shocks off a bonyard LS. The springs usually have a colored part number tag on them... or painted stripes on the actual springs.

You want to make sure you match the springs on your LS with the boneyard springs... as far as the tag or stripes.

If you mis-match the springs... it could affect the handling in a negative way.

If you plan to remove the springs from the shocks... use a good quality spring compressor, and be cautious.

Or have a mechanics shop swap them for you. They have the proper (safe) tools to do that.

Members online

No members online now.
Back