2001 LS Sport Transmission Issue

jbhd

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Below is a post from a previous member and is exactly what I am experiencing right now with my 2001 LS V8 Sport. In his original post, several other members replied with the same issue, but I did not see a follow up posting on any actual fixes for this problem. If anyone knows of one I would be greatly appreciative and I thank you in advance. I have research everything from a PCM issue to solenoid pack issue to a broken 4-3 pre-stroke valve spring and I am willing to start investigating my LS for these issues, but it would be awesome if someone had some insight to share before I dive in. I have had my LS since 2001 and at 193K miles, it still brings me much pleasure when driving it each day.

"Transmission Problem no auto no reverse, goes fine in Manual SST
I have a 2001 V8 Lincoln LS and have tranny problems. The reverse does not work and the transmission will not shift automatically. If I put it in any gear on the auto side, I can hear it engage but when I hit the gas, it just revs. If I pull the shifter down to drive then over to the SST, it drives fine as long as I use SST to shift. Going from 2nd to 3rd it will pause a bit longer then shifting into other gears, but upshift and downshift, it seems to do fine. I would live with it as is, if I had reverse.

I have noticed if I try any gear on the auto side and then try to go to SST, it doesn't work. I have to avoid attempting to try to accelerate while in any auto gear (R, D, etc) before sliding the shifter over to SST. Like I said, I can hear and feel it engage in all the auto gears, but as soon as I accelerate, it slips out or something because it just revs. I know I need to get to the shop, but was hoping to find out if anyone else has had this problem to has had to remedy it."

I had the same issue. Unfortunately the only fix i found was to replace the transmission. Did it on jack stands im my garage, it sucked but was doable. Tried replacing the valve body and the shift solenoid, but neither fixed the problem. I am still not sure what was the cause. Good luck with the repair.

Members online

No members online now.
Back